Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

automatic organ donation

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well that's my opinion. Anyone who doesn't want to donate their organs and has a different reason is welcomed to put it forward, and I will be sure I won't call them a selfish twat.
  • Options
    How about respecting a persons right to have control of their own body? I haven't personally made up my mind about whether I would want to donate my organs, but calling anyone who doesn't want to selfish, is hardly going to help the cause.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    How about respecting a persons right to have control of their own body? I haven't personally made up my mind about whether I would want to donate my organs, but calling anyone who doesn't want to selfish, is hardly going to help the cause.

But you'd be happy to take someone else's organs to save your own life?
  • Options
    What? I haven't made my mind up about donating my organs.
  • Options
    What are forums for, if not expressing one's opinions? :confused:

I don't claim to be right about everything. But I believe in certain things, like everyone else does presumably, and will usually criticise people if I think they are acting in a reprehensible manner.

As I said, if someone has a reason that I see as valid I will exclude them from my name-calling. But the only reason I can think of at the moment (other than perhaps religious, and then I'm not sure which religions forbid organ donation) for people not wanting to donate their organs is that of selfishness. Or perhaps superstition, which to be fair wouldn't make them selfish.
  • Options
    While I think the idea is good in theory, I do not support the opt-out system.
  • Options
    I think there's a perfectly valid political arguement that government should always avoid automatic posession of a person within the state - and that as much as possible their rights should be granted automatically on an absolute minimum.

I may not always agree with that view - but I don't think those who do think that are automatically selfish twats.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think there's a perfectly valid political arguement that government should always avoid automatic posession of a person within the state - and that as much as possible their rights should be granted automatically on an absolute minimum.

I may not always agree with that view - but I don't think those who do think that are automatically selfish twats.

Nobody said that. They said that someone who doesn't agree to give their organs after they die is a selfish twat. Nothing to do with your opinion on the law. You can oppose anti-racism laws on the grounds of personal freedom, and still call someone who abuses other races a racist twat. Or oppose the drafting of soldiers but consider those who don't volunteer in a particular situation to be cowards. And so you can oppose the opt-out donation system and still think that those who don't voluntarily give up their organs for donation are selfish.
  • Options
    I think the very reason that you and other's with your views would single out and scapegoat people as selfish twats for opting out is exactly way this society is a long long way from being able to safely introduce 'opt-out' laws for issues such as organ donation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    But the only reason I can think of at the moment (other than perhaps religious, and then I'm not sure which religions forbid organ donation) for people not wanting to donate their organs is that of selfishness.

I think that Jews don't cremate their dead, because of some teaching about the decomposition process being cleansing of your sins before the soul can get into heaven (cremation being a shortcut to heaven that God would be pissed off about, whereas cryogenic freezing is torture for the soul). In that case, I suspect that for some, this would extend to the whole of the body. Also, Jehovah's Witnesses are against blood transfusions, so I couldn't see them being too keen about organ donation either.

The only other reasons I can think of is the person who refuses to donate without knowing who it is going to (the whole George Best situation).
  • Options
    I think the very reason that you and other's with your views would single out and scapegoat people as selfish twats for opting out is exactly way this society is a long long way from being able to safely introduce 'opt-out' laws for issues such as organ donation.

Hey, when did I get dragged into this? I never called anyone a selfish twat.
  • Options
    I don't see why someone who doesn't want to donate their organs should have to justify it to any of you. I don't think you have the right to judge them for their decision either. Well - you have the right as in freedom of speech, but it's not your place. It's their body - their decision. It's not something relatively minor either like 'it doesn't cost anything'. People will attatch a lot of value to their body parts and for whatever reason may not want to give them up.

Why is that wish any less valid than your wish to give your organs up? (aimed at aladdin) Do you go round collecting for charity, then calling people selfish twats when they don't put money in the tin? The few pennies / pounds is probably worth less than someones organs are.

I think it's remarkable that some people want to give up their organs after they die so that someone can have a better chance of life. I think that that kindness is diminished however by those who feel a) that it can only go to 'selfless' others who also choose to donate b) that those who don't donate aren't as good as you. Because then it's not a selfless act at all, it's an act of self fulfillment, so you can go to bed at night thinking what a good person you are, and wonder what a horrid place the world is where people might object to the idea of being chopped up and sent round the country after they die.

Perhaps a bit of understanding that even after death, someones body may hold some meaning for them would help get past your prejudgements.
  • Options
    Hey, when did I get dragged into this? I never called anyone a selfish twat.

Hey fair enough ;)

Aladdin - you're a selfish twat for thinking people are selfish twats :p
    Stupid - sorry
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't see why someone who doesn't want to donate their organs should have to justify it to any of you.

If they want to actively participate in a debate orientated forum it'd be useful though.
    I don't think you have the right to judge them for their decision either. Well - you have the right as in freedom of speech, but it's not your place. It's their body - their decision. It's not something relatively minor either like 'it doesn't cost anything'. People will attatch a lot of value to their body parts and for whatever reason may not want to give them up.

I reserve the right to judge whoever the hell i please - unless you're an advocate of thought-crime?
    Why is that wish any less valid than your wish to give your organs up? (aimed at aladdin) Do you go round collecting for charity, then calling people selfish twats when they don't put money in the tin? The few pennies / pounds is probably worth less than someones organs are.

I really can't think of a stand-point that would reasonably justify not wanting to give up your organs post death. You could argue with monetary charity that giving requires loss on behalf of the giver, but you just don't lose anything with organ donation after death.

N.B.: I'm not inferring i think you're a twat if you don't want to be an organ doner, but i do reserve the right to think you're being selfish.
  • Options
    Would those who don't want to donate their organs or might decide not to explain their reasons then? I'm happy to withdraw my comments, only I can sincerely think of no genuine reason why anyone would refuse to save another person's life at no cost whatsoever to them :confused:
  • Options
    I reserve the right to judge whoever the hell i please - unless you're an advocate of thought-crime?

Yea, you can judge who you like. I mean, I think it was Kiezo who was saying people do judge others for whatever - he gets judged for his music taste and obese people get judged for their weight.

What I'm saying, is that judgement isn't valid. It's not 'fair' so to speak. I think you could judge someone on something fairly like if someone beat up their partner because they were drunk, judging them to be violent is fair, because the reasons are clear / transparent.

But on something as contentious and I'd argue personal as organ donation (it's an individuals body, after all) - I don't think a judgement on whether someone wants to give organs or not is valid. It's like judging someone based on whether they masturbate. It's nobody's place to make that judgement, it's between that person and themselves only.

Someone does benefit from organ donation, but that doesn't change the fact that the benefactor is not 'entitled' to an organ (not that they aren't worthy of having one), it's given as a gift - and it's not fair to judge someone's personal decision not to give that gift. All credit should be given to those that do, but what gives you - not the right - but the authority or legitimacy to cast judgement?

In my mind it's no different from judging someone based on their personal choices that only affect them. Hard to think of a good example though, other than masturbation.

I need to start finishing my essay
  • Options
    only I can sincerely think of no genuine reason why anyone would refuse to save another person's life at no cost whatsoever to them :confused:

There is a cost though, difficult to measure. It's an emotional cost. Or spiritual, for some. People pay a lot of money to look after their emotions, and something like organ donation people will have different opinions on and they may not feel comfortable with it.

Why don't they feel comfortable?

Maybe they don't like the idea of being cut up like a meat carcass.

But that's irrational?

Most people don't always think rationally, especially if you consider spirituality and religion. You don't have to believe in god to believe you're special, or have a sense of purpose, or a sense of 'being'. To have a sense that you're unique and even have a soul.

I mean, I could go on, but it's just going to be a circular argument of asking people to justify why they feel about their lives in a certain way. At the end of the day, people have different beliefs. I don't think people spitefully withold their organs.

Again, we should celebrate and commend those that do give their organs freely and happily, but shouldn't feel that others should be obligated to do so.
  • Options
    I'm not donating because I want those worms that will eventually eat my body to get as much nutrients as possible. ;)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    There is a cost though, difficult to measure. It's an emotional cost. Or spiritual, for some. People pay a lot of money to look after their emotions, and something like organ donation people will have different opinions on and they may not feel comfortable with it.

Why don't they feel comfortable?

Maybe they don't like the idea of being cut up like a meat carcass.

But that's irrational?

Most people don't always think rationally, especially if you consider spirituality and religion. You don't have to believe in god to believe you're special, or have a sense of purpose, or a sense of 'being'. To have a sense that you're unique and even have a soul.

I mean, I could go on, but it's just going to be a circular argument of asking people to justify why they feel about their lives in a certain way. At the end of the day, people have different beliefs. I don't think people spitefully withold their organs.

Again, we should celebrate and commend those that do give their organs freely and happily, but shouldn't feel that others should be obligated to do so.
    But as it has been pointed out, their bodies might well be carved up after death regardless for an autopsy.

I should have thought that of all people those with a strong sense of spiritualism or religion would be the most willing to donate their organs, in order to preserve life and help their fellow man. Each to their own I guess... :confused:
  • Options
    Each to their own I guess... :confused:

that's the point

honesntly, they'd do better if they removed the right of families to object to organ donation, and similtaneously mail everyone a thing saying "do you want to donate your organs when you die? if so, how many?"

or paid for street stalls around the country as well, and it wouldn;t interfere either

personally i'm a willing donor, i don't want anyone to go against my wishes, however my body is mine to do with as a please, and in all honesty if it's really unhealthy when i die, i'd rather it went to medical students to cut up and learn about anatomy hands on
  • Options
    In austria you are automatically organ donor, except your opt otherwise.
    It's a good thing me thinks.

I'd hate it if I had to die, because some greedy asshole rather takes his liver 6 feet under to let it rot.
  • Options
    Am I perverse in agreeing with Scrote that the worms, bugs and trees actually deserve my body more than my fellow man... ;)
  • Options
    Am I perverse in agreeing with Scrote that the worms, bugs and trees actually deserve my body more than my fellow man... ;)
    Although the worms and bugs would very much enjoy a decomposing body to feast on, I still find myself with one predominant thought. That is - are you drunk? :p
  • Options
    like I said ina similar thread, if Im dead, they're welcome to whatever organs etc they want-Im not going to be needing them
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Although the worms and bugs would very much enjoy a decomposing body to feast on, I still find myself with one predominant thought. That is - are you drunk? :p

You might say that... I couldn't possibily comment :P
  • Options
    You might say that... I couldn't possibily comment :P
    I'll take that as a yes. How's the hangover this lunchtime? ;)
  • Options
    As long as they make opting out easy I dont see a problem with it given virtually all the opinion polls suggest that the varst majority of people agree with organ donation.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    As long as they make opting out easy I dont see a problem with it given virtually all the opinion polls suggest that the varst majority of people agree with organ donation.

that's the thing, if it's done anything like SPINE, well i hope they don't

if they want to do an opt out system, they should send everyone a letter saying if you don't tell your GP or us you want to opt out then you'll be on the donor register
  • Options
    I agree! This goverment is only going one way, dictatorship (sorry about spelling) sucks, do we not have a say?
    Personnaly i cant bring myself to be cut up and issued out when i die, i know it could save a life, ive nothing against anybody who wishes to do so.
    My reason is simple, when i die, i want to be burried, i want my wife and kids to be burried WHOLE!
    I want to be able to visit them knowing that they are actually there! I want my kids to visit theyre das grave knowing its me thats burried, they are speaking to me!
    If i die today, do i have that respect from the goverment? how can i opt out? do my family really need to go through that?
    The Donor Card was and is the best idea, if you have a card then you should be registered on a system (not a cd to go missing).name address? these could be brought up on a data base.
    Though would that even work?
    We get told what to do, we need to pay this and that, no wonder the number of people looking to emigrate has increased.
    where do we go from here?

Ant
  • Options
    Ant8700 wrote: »
    I
    My reason is simple, when i die, i want to be burried, i want my wife and kids to be burried WHOLE!
    I want to be able to visit them knowing that they are actually there! I want my kids to visit theyre das grave knowing its me thats burried, they are speaking to me!

Thats probably not going to happen anyway. On that What Britain Earns program they showed a mortuary in a hospital and I think it was half of patients who die have to have an autopsy to determine cause of death. That rate is probably increased for deaths out of hospital

And when your kids visit you'll be there at first but after a few years there won't be much left of the tissues that could have been put to good use

How would you feel if your kids needed an organ but died waiting while organs were going to waste, not because their owners minded their organs being used but simply because they forgot, or were too lazy to sign up, or put if off until tomorrow...and then tomorrow...