Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Applying via UCAS for entry in Y2.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Oooooooook, so, I finally bit the bullet and went to speak to my guidance tutor about transferring next year to Kent. He said to email Kent, which I did, and they said that I apply via UCAS, which I'm doing.

BUT I don't know what I'm supposed to write in my personal statement? Do I put the reasons why I'm transferring or the reasons I want to go to Kent or both or none or what? CONFUUUUUUUUUUUSED.

Also - do I have to ask my guidance tutor to be my referee? It says something about predicted grades so I'm assuming yes, but he doesn't know me very well and I'd rather use my tutor from college, because she does.

Oh I hate forms :grump:.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Put both.

I would use your current tutor at your current university - cos otherwise it will look a bit odd.
    Did you talk to Kent about transferring specifically into the second year?

It's fairly unusual to do that through UCAS.

As for the personnal statement, I'd put why you want to do the course at Kent.
    I did, and they said to apply through UCAS. I was a bit confused as to why they did that as well, but hey ho.
    We do consider entry into the second year of an undergraduate degree programme providing that your first year of study is the equivalent to our first year at Kent. You will find details of all programmes offered on the University website at www.kent.ac.uk/studying/ . You will also be able to download a Subject Leaflet for more detailed information on the structure and content of individual programmes.

If you would like to apply for a transfer you would need firstly to apply through UCAS, specifying which year you wish to transfer into, and then you would need to send us details of your current studies in the form of an official transcript. You can send copies of all supporting documents, clearly labelled with your name and your UCAS application number, to the address below. You may also be asked to provide more detailed information on the syllabus of the course you have completed. All applicants are asked to provide an academic reference in support of their application.

Applications to UCAS must now be made online via the UCAS website.
    i was going to say the same, that it's unusual to do it through UCAS but that's obviously what they want.

i would probably start by saying why you want to transfer, then move onto specifically why you want to transfer to kent. you could probably use a lot of your original personal statement as i'm assuming that talked a lot about why you wanted to do the course, just make it much more tailored towards why you want to do the kent course, and obviously briefly outline reasons for transferring.

as you want to transfer into the second year i'd think it would be best to put your current tutor at uni - you've already proved you're capable of getting into uni so i'd think kent will just want to see how you've done in your first year, hwo you coped with uni etc rather than what you did at school.
    Kat_B wrote: »
    i was going to say the same, that it's unusual to do it through UCAS but that's obviously what they want.
    Possibly because it means UCAS do most of the paperwork for the university? I can't be certain.

In such a statement, I would explain why you want to go to Kent, and why you'd like to transfer. I wouldn't go into too much detail about the second, however - the future is what matters now, not the past.
    This is just an opinion but not so sure if you should include why you want to transfer because it seems to be an open invite to dissing your current uni. Is there anyone you can ring to double check?

Kent uni exciting :D
    Also put why you like that subject and want to study it (further).
    This is just an opinion but not so sure if you should include why you want to transfer because it seems to be an open invite to dissing your current uni.
    Somehow, I doubt Franki's current university is afraid of a little bit of criticism from one of their students. They probably get far worse thrown at them. If someone doesn't like the university, someone doesn't like it. There's nothing that can be done about that.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Somehow, I doubt Franki's current university is afraid of a little bit of criticism from one of their students. They probably get far worse thrown at them. If someone doesn't like the university, someone doesn't like it. There's nothing that can be done about that.

I would however refrain from slagging off your other university to much - i would only use one or two scentences maximum to explain why you want to change universities and then focus the rest of your application on the positive aspects of why you want to move to kent rather than anywhere else.

If you just focus on the negative bits then you might come accross as a bit of a whinger and not that committed - me thinks.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would however refrain from slagging off your other university to much - i would only use one or two scentences maximum to explain why you want to change universities and then focus the rest of your application on the positive aspects of why you want to move to kent rather than anywhere else.
    I'm not seriously suggesting she spends half the personal statement slagging off her current university - far from it. There are probably more practical reasons for this change. Kent's closer to home for Franki, for example. Nothing wrong with wanting to study closer to home. Or saying it just isn't the university for her - that's hardly slagging them off. Newcastle (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't going to be for everyone.

I just think it's the same as in job interviews. When they ask why you left your last job you aren't expected to criticise that company because it makes a bad impression.
    does that mean you'll be in greenwich?
    nuhh kent uni same as me in canterbury
    I'm not seriously suggesting she spends half the personal statement slagging off her current university - far from it. There are probably more practical reasons for this change. Kent's closer to home for Franki, for example. Nothing wrong with wanting to study closer to home. Or saying it just isn't the university for her - that's hardly slagging them off. Newcastle (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't going to be for everyone.
    Northumbria, actually.

And it's not the uni, as such, more the distance from home and the fact that the course isn't *quite* right.

I wouldn't slag off the uni too much anyway since my guidance tutor (who's gotta do my reference) is the head of English & Creative Writing.

And no, Luby, I'll be in Canterbury :p. If I wanted to live in Greenwich I'd have applied to Greenwich uni :p.