Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pale is beautiful, not something to be ashamed of

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the paper yesterday, there were photos of Rhydian from the X Factor on a beach, with some nasty comments about him being pale and white.

A couple of years ago, I was on holiday with my friends. They all had fake tan on, and I was natural, and some bloke looked at me disgustedly and said I needed to get a tan and something about me looking horrible because I was so pale.

In the past I didn't like my skin tone and used fake tans, even sun beds (which burned my back badly) to look a bit brown.

But now I just can't be bothered, sunbeds are so bad for you, and fake tans tend to look shit, especially when you end up with white hands and brown arms, or with streaks on your neck, or when it goes all flaky. Ugh. I would rather be my natural colour. I'm now happy in my own skin frankly.

Why is it considered a bad thing by some people to be pale?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know hon, I think it must be some sort of fame thing, you know like most celebs are v v thin, so thats the way we should aspire to be (allegedly)
    Same way, celebs allmost all seem to have this tanned skintone, either from xpensive hols, mucho sunbeddidge, or professionally applied fake tan-who out of us skints can run to that? and why should we want to. think its partly an aspirational thing.

Personally I think I look better with a bit of a tan. (dont do fake tan or sunbeds tho, rely on hols and ol blighty sunshine=hardly ever am tanned.)

However, one of my best mates has got this beautiful porcelin skin, and thats what suits her, she never allows it in the sun too long because she'll burn. TBH the pale skin is gorgeous and really suits her.
  • Options
    Could be a cultural thing as well - being tanned shows that perhaps you've got the money to go abroad etc. Hundreds of years ago, a paler complexion was a sign you had money as it meant you weren't working outside and catching the sun.
  • Options
    what i dont understand is how looking like the cuprinol woodstain geezer is somehow equated with having a tan....a real sun tan shouldnt leave you lookin like you fell asleep in a lumber yard and got varnished along with everything else.

being pale is preferable in my opinion. living in england of all places should make people appreciate the plus points of pale skin. hehe
  • Options
    The whole fake tanned craze pisses me off. I just don't understand how otherwise smart, bright, good looking people can allow themselves out all streaky and orange and still think they look good?
    Told one of my best friends when she attempted to fake tan, that there is no point Either you have it or you don't, and that the orange blotches on her neck certainly testified that she didn't.
    Pale isn't ugly, unless it is a result of malnutrition, illness etc.
    That said, I personally look my best after a summer with great sun and a tan, but fuck me, am I going to spend ridiculous amount of time on fake tanning. Natural...

That said, I don't mind sunbeds as much. But still find people going religiously and having skin resembling that of the newest Mulberry bad stupid.
  • Options
    I'm very pale as i don't go out the house much, and been commented on on the odd occassion i do go out. I just laugh at their wrinkles and melanomas :D
  • Options
    I think in general, people look better with a bit of a tan. I hate being pale, but I go really pale! because I have fair skin. So I don't even tan that well anyway, I burn first :(

I do fake tan though, and I use St. Tropez. But fake tan doesn't = streaks and orange! I think those that look orange put too much on, on a daily basis.
  • Options
    I'm very pale, if i have any kind of tan it just makes me look dirty. I use a tiny bit of tinted moiusturiser on my face every now and then to even everything out. I've been told i look ill and discusting in the past, but it doesnt bother me. I cant pull off a tan. But it means i'll stay out of the sun more so less ageing. I dont understand why people rush out to be baked as soon as theres some sun.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Could be a cultural thing as well - being tanned shows that perhaps you've got the money to go abroad etc. Hundreds of years ago, a paler complexion was a sign you had money as it meant you weren't working outside and catching the sun.

Yep. I don't think that a tan is so highly regarded in Japan for example, and the extent to which it is, it's influenced by western culture.
  • Options
    chantelle-houghton.jpg

11201_20060714_338.jpg

Beautiful example of fake tan v natural
  • Options
    omg how orange! That's awful :lol:
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Beautiful example of fake tan v natural

You're picking extremes opposites though, obviously. Plenty of people can fake tan (be it sunbeds or lotions/whatever) while keeping it natural looking. Hell, if you were to take natural sunbathing to extremes you still end up looking like you had a bath in varnish.

As for the OP: there is no 'standard'. Some people suit a bit of a tan, some people suit being pale. It's up to the individual person to realise what suits them best. Tanned and kitted out in the latest fashion is what's expected of pop culture celebs, it's just the way it is.

Oh, and I don't think there's anything funnier than seeing a ginger person, freckles et al, fake tanned to the max.
  • Options
    Yep. I don't think that a tan is so highly regarded in Japan for example, and the extent to which it is, it's influenced by western culture.

Yep.

In a lot of countries where people have naturally darker skintones, it's hip to be white! I've read loads of things about the use of bleaching skin creams in India.

People will always do unhealthy and sometimes ridiculous things in the name of fashion. Leave them to it, I say. I'm pasty and I'm proud!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    People will always do unhealthy and sometimes ridiculous things in the name of fashion.

They certainly do.

kogalho6.jpg
  • Options
    for me its about boosting my confidence

a slight tan makes me feel slimmer, more well groomed

i dont mind wearing short sleeved stuff with a bit of tan on, but if i aint tanned, i wont

i am really very very pale though

also, i think unless you have great skin, and great bone structure, being pale can make certain people look sickly.

if you're dainty and pretty, being pale can be a great look, but if you're carrying a bit of extra weight or are a bit spotty, i think a slight tan can improve looks
  • Options
    In a lot of countries where people have naturally darker skintones, it's hip to be white! I've read loads of things about the use of bleaching skin creams in India.

Yeah, I saw a lot of ads for 'skin lightening' creams in Egypt, even a couple advertised in chemists on Tottenham Court Road!
  • Options
    I am very pale - even when America people commented that I was an 'English Rose' with my porcelain skin. I have always been pale - I think I look better with a slight tan but I do like my skin as it is. I think it does get misconstrued as 'sickly' but the accessability of products to fake it probably influences that and celebs bronzed and beautiful doesn't help much either!
  • Options
    I used to be very against fake tanning until my flatmate introduced me to it - it IS such a confidence boost. I look really healthy and glowy.

I was worried my hair would look brash given that it's a dark postboxy red where as my blonde would have been more suited. HOWEVER! It looks just as nice. I use Clinique's Bronzer Mousse and I top it up with a sunbed on the third day of fake tanning, too.

That's not to advocate everyone should fake tan - quite the opposite. I just think that if it's done in moderation and really for a big nightout or something like I do then why the hell not?

BTW - Rhydian looked delish yesterday in his speedos in The Sun. Don't tell. :blush:

BUT LOOK! Example of how fake tan looks better. :D
  • Options
    It's on her myspace, and I personally don't care if she doesn't want me posting about her considering how miserable her and her 'gang' at school made me. Makes me feel better having a good old laugh at her expense, as she did those few years ago, at me!! who's laughing now :P
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    I used to be very against fake tanning until my flatmate introduced me to it - it IS such a confidence boost. I look really healthy and glowy.

I was worried my hair would look brash given that it's a dark postboxy red where as my blonde would have been more suited. HOWEVER! It looks just as nice. I use Clinique's Bronzer Mousse and I top it up with a sunbed on the third day of fake tanning, too.

That's not to advocate everyone should fake tan - quite the opposite. I just think that if it's done in moderation and really for a big nightout or something like I do then why the hell not?

BTW - Rhydian looked delish yesterday in his speedos in The Sun. Don't tell. :blush:

BUT LOOK! Example of how fake tan looks better. :D
    You look great both pale and tanned.

I'd prefer to have a bit more colour but there's nothing wrong with being pale.
  • Options
    I dont see any need to even get a tan, I certainly dont sunbathe and can probably count on one hand the number times I've used the fake stuff.The only tan I get is a *very* slight natural one from walking around in the summer in short sleeves.

I'm just pale and intresting.
  • Options
    I've seen the pics of Rhydian and I have noticed something far more important than his skin. Why on earth did he keep that body hidden? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=507032&in_page_id=1773 Phwoar!
  • Options
    Maybe you'll think I'm trashy etc but to be honest I go through phases where I absolutly slap the stuff on but even without Im far from pale.
    I've just got naturally tanned skin. :D
    But like its been mentioned unless you have perfect skin, are thin and have perfect bone structure you do look better with a bit of glow.
    Pale, bad skinned, flabby people :yuck:

Saying this though my boyfriend is quite pale skinned ish so its always fun to compare ;)
    He laughs at my tan lines I laugh at his white bum :lol:
  • Options
    I use the sunbeds and I'm proud of it. When I'm a bit tanned I feel sexiiiiier.

Cant do that bottle stuff though, my mate uses it sometines and when it comes off it goes funny :(
  • Options
    i have never used fake tan and never wish to...i'm very proud of my celtic colouring....pale as snow and it works when you're a goth! but in honesty, i'd prefer to be natural than to look even remotely orange.
  • Options
    I've tried tanning, either burn or nothing. I've tried fake tan, thats just far too much effort. I'm pastey as hell. Some people joke. Don't go out in shorts, you might blind somebody. I can't tell where your sock ends and your leg begins. I'd hardly say its the most beautiful thing. Every imperfection, shaving bump, every single vein and capilary bursting out like fireworks in the night. I'm more blue and red than white, really. I even tried that moisturizer with a hint of tan which is supposed to build it gradually and slowly... one application made me look like I bathed in the stuff. And god forbid when that fake tan starts to come off! Uh uh :no: Fake tan and what not is too much work and I already know the sun or a bed won't do one lick of difference, and tan has just as much potential as being as ugly as pale.

But I've always got my mom to say, You and you're beautiful "porcelin" skin (thats a nice way of putting it :p) You'll age so nicely.
    She's pale as hell too ;)
  • Options
    im really pale, but i dont know i think i actually suit it, in actual fact, i think i'd look pretty ridiculous with a tan, not too sure why, but i do
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Have to say that that girl looks better than Ilora Danon, mind.

Don't be nasty just for the sake of it.
    Especially when its not true.

And is that Rhydian guy albino? (Honest question)
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »

lol, i thought that too! i dont think he is though?

im really pale and a bit freckly too, and the other day at work someone asked me if i was ill cos i looked really pale that day but im sure i was the same colour as usual :chin:

the thing is though i just CANT tan, i worked in spain in the blazing heat for 7 months and when i came back i was just a darker shade of pale but with lots of freckles. every fake tan iv tried has turned me orangey so i just give up now. doesnt bother me too much.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Don't be nasty just for the sake of it.
    Especially when its not true.

Bless You :o
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I've deleted the image of Ilora's old school 'aquaintance' shall we say, as if you're gonna bitch about someone on a public message board it's really not acceptable to reveal their identity. Kermit, you comment was just bang out of order tbh - and I agree with DW, not even true.