Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

weird tummy rumbles gurgles etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is going to sound pathetic I know but this problem has practically ruined my last couple of years of education.

I can be fine sat in a normal lesson (moderate talking, relaxed etc) with no problems. Just fine like I am now.

However when sat in a silent room during a test and especially the exam hall my stomach goes like hell. Its an immediate switch!
It makes incredibly loud noises for no reason (im not hungry or anything).
I also feel the need to break wind which im obviously not going to do so feel like I'm going to accidently.

As a result I do shit in exams because concentrating with that is near on impossible.
Feeling like a freak when everyone turns to look at you and after I always make the excuse I skipped breakfast.

I once thought is was IBS but I dont get any other symptoms.
Can anyone help? I've got exams coming up and I get so worried about this embaressing problem I become a nightmare.:banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Healthwise, I'd see a doc. With your exams, can you request to do the exam in isolation? When I did my GSCEs, I'd have panic attacks being in the big exam hall, so I did mine in an isolated room, and my medical school has provisions for people who can't/don't want to be in one of the main exam halls.
    I dont know what I'd say to the doctor though
    It really gets me down

I dont think anyone at my college does exams in other rooms unless they get extra time or something.
    Its embaressing and sounds pathetic to other people but it really does make me a wreck
    Just explain what happens in that sort of situation, and any other symptoms if you've been having them.

Stuff what other people think, people react in so many different ways to stressful situations. Examination situations used to cripple me. If it's affecting your performance, then it's unfair to you, and your college should accomodate it, at least for a trial run to see how you get on.
    I get something very similar, and for me it's anxiety related. The more I think about it, the worse it gets, too!

I guess if it's something like that, it'd be worth trying out the usual anxiety things: rescue remedy, exercise, deep breaths...
    im the same. its a major major stress for me and i only go to college one day a week. ive even skipped lessons because of it, and just to make it 10times worse im anorexic so its hell trying to enough to stop it happening.

my gp suggested milk, i havent tried it though.
    i dont really know what else to suggest im sorry.
    ive been taking antacid tablets this week to see if reducing stomach acid will help matters. i doubt it though.
    You tried downing loads of water?
    aaaaaaaaaaaargh i have this!!! i have to do a little dance with my belly to make it go away :( its so embarrassing
    As for what to say to the doctor, say exactly what you put in your first post, even print it off and take it to them.
    Its awful.
    It does sound pathetic if you say it ruins your education but its ruined mine. :banghead:
    I used to want to be a doctor but the fear of doing exams until I'm 25 or whatever put me off because of this.
    I've got a chemistry A2 mock tomorow but I've done no revision because all I can think about is how its going to be so embaressing in the room because it WILL happen.

Deep breathes etc dont work.
    Closing my eyes visualising I'm sat on my bed doing the exam there works for about 2 minutes.

God I hate it :banghead: I'm so glad I've finally told someone though. Noone else knows
    Revise for the exam.

Knowing you've not revised won't help.

Next you need to tell someone, be it the school/college nurse or counsellor, one of your tutors, your GP or the practise nurse. Lots of people take exams in separate rooms, if it's deemed a suitable solution it's very easily sorted and usually done in such a manner that very few people realise it's happening other than those involved.

You may also find if you've got staff from college invigilating your mocks, and you mention it to one of the people who was in the exam that no one else can hear it. Your body amplifies some of the noises it makes so they sound loud to you but no one else can here.

Get brave girl and tell some one.

xx
    What they said^^ the fear of embarrassment is ALWAYS worse than the embarrassment itself. Tell soemone.
    What kind of foods do you eat?

Maybe you have an intolerence to wheat or something.
    could it be air stuck in your stomach? i know personally i can be fine but when its quiet time i cant stop my stomach making noise because of air coming up, it happens in movies etc...

i found it made it worse when i was on movie dates with guys or on the phone to them as it is when im nervous and dont want to make a burpy sound to them.

I think if something like that happens to you then it is definatly stress related and the worse you think about it the worse it gets which makes it worse.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Maybe you have an intolerence to wheat or something.

But does that normally happen? I have a wheat intolerance and have never experienced anything like this.
    Sounds like stress to me. Try having something like peppermint tea an hour before you go.
    Tweety wrote: »
    Sounds like stress to me.

Yup it is when I'm stressed.
    But stressed because of a silent full room??

I've tried antacids and kinda forcing burps before for about a day before.

I find having recently gone to pass bowl movements helps to an extent but it still has a major impact of my exam results.

It just happened one day when I was in an exam at about 13/14 then every silent lesson,test, exam until now (im 18) i get it. :banghead:
    Stressed about having an exam i expect. If you want to get the burps up then get some peppermint tea like i said. It helps it all out and settle your tummy.
    I've had this and it is so annoying and embarrassing! For me it's more a mental thing, I only get it in exam/silent type situations so I don't think its medical. I would advise eating plenty before hand, so it's definitly not just hunger. And remember that it's not such a big thing to other people. Think if you heard someone else's stomach rumble in an exam, you'd hear it, and then forget about it 5 seconds later. And you can always glance at the person next to you and pretend you thought it was them! If it is just a mental thing, remember therefore there's no reason for it, and you can control it by no longer worrying about it.

However, as the others have suggested, if you think it's more serious maybe speak to a doctor, and perhaps organise to take your exams in isolation. If you're embarrassed you could always put more emphasis on your anxiety than on your stomach being a pain in the arse!
    I heard suckin mints can help. i that myself and went the doctors. she just told me to eat more fibre foods and since i changed my diet to branflakes in the morning and cut white bread out and used brown bread that it dosnt happen to me anymore.

defintly go to your doctors for advice aswell. they wont mind
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey there,

I just came accross this question on netdoctor, which sounds very similar to your problem.

You might want to take a look at you diet to make sure you're not eating too many foods that are high in fibre or carbohydrate.

Hope this helps :thumb:
    I've had this too, and I'm beginning to think mine was stress related - it adds up.. I only get it in class, it is embarrassing, and I'd love to get rid of it!!
    I get this, but its done it for as long as i can remember and nothing in particular sets it off, but its usually after eating. However it started getting painful and I'd feel sick after eating so i got given tablets that relax your intestine muscles to stop them from working too quickly - they've really helped.
    I get this and have done since i started college at 17. I always get it in quiet situations and i realised a long time ago mine was a mental/stress related thing. I hate quiet room situations. I used to get it when doing exams, having lessons, when sat in doctors/dentists waiting rooms, having interviews for work, at really quiet dinner parties etc. The bit that used to really worry me was the night times with someone in the bed with you. :yeees:
    But to be honest over the years i've worked out that calm breathing and really making myself relax in tough situations has definitely helped. I always try to make sure i sit away from others or at the end of rows or with a little space to myself and then i can concentrate on breathing and calming down. Also i find it easier if i eat plainly before i go into the situation. I know it's one of the most horrible things to get as you get so aware of it and that does make it worse. It becomes like a paranoia to you so yes i would definitely agree with everyone about trying to get a handle on it now. It ruled my life for about 10 years to be honest.
    Bloody hell I never expected such a helpfull and sympathetic response!

Thanks all who have helped and even those who have said it happens to them too has made me feel soooo much better :D

Anyways have a 2.5 hour exam this morning (General studies) and it went great :D
    Took 2 Rennies (Peppermint), did a few sit ups before I went and although I was slightly incomfortable my tummy was pretty much quiet!! :D I'm so happy about such a small thing but for once I've come out of an exam actually knowing that I have given it 100% aqnd nothings stopped me!
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Good stuff!!

Glad you aced your exam.

:thumb:
    Well done, glad you managed to concentrate and do well at your exam :thumb:
    This happens to me also! I thought I was the only one. Whenever there is a quiet situation, my stomach goes crazy! It has ruled the past few years of my life. I don't know when it started. Thanks to everyone who commented--you guys have really helped me! I am 17 and in high school, so in the morning, I have to sit on a bus for 10 minutes, to wait for 7:15 so they can release us and the bus driver always turns off the bus, so it is dead quiet. I try to read and that helps, but in 2nd period, I always hate because no one ever talks and I plead with them in my mind to say SOMETHING! If anyone has anymore advice, feel free to email me. I think it's stress. I'll try not to think about it and do the breathing that was suggested. Thanks to everyone!