Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HSBC Bank Bards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else been called and told there card details have been 'compromised' ?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't but HSBC called my mate, (when we were in Nottingham) to say his card had been used two hours ago in Sydney (Australia)

It took him a good 30 mins to convince them it couldn't have been him :D
  • Options
    If I were to get any kind of call like that I'd call the bank back on a number that I know is theirs to check it out. Too many scam artists around trying to get you to give out details these days.
  • Options
    Nop I haven't. Never give details out over the phone though.
  • Options
    Oh it's all legitimate. It was Leigh they called. They didn't ask for passwords/details and stuff, they told him his details and not to use his card and that they were sending aout a new one.

I was just wondering what this 'compromising' was as they wouldn't tell Leigh. I suppose some hall clerk taking a disc home to use as a coaster i suppose :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    suppose some hall clerk taking a disc home to use as a coaster i suppose :)
    more likely to be some fraudulent transaction has been detected... like your card being used in some remote corner of the world. but could well be something to do directly with violations of the data protection act. - which hopefully will become a criminal offense soon as i think it should be already see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7168588.stm :)
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    more likely to be some fraudulent transaction has been detected... like your card being used in some remote corner of the world. but could well be something to do directly with violations of the data protection act. - which hopefully will become a criminal offense soon as i think it should be already see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7168588.stm :)

Considering the amount of personal data the government has handled carelessly, especially recently, it's very unlikely there will be any tougher laws as the government would be in trouble a heck of a lot of the time
  • Options
    It could be that as Leigh has used the card, a very short time later (or before) it's been used a substantial distance away, ie 5 minutes later someone spent £500 in Bangalore.

The payment will have been blocked and the no doubt you were informed shortly after.
  • Options
    ^^ Possible.

It's just what the woman said on the phone that's got me thinking. 'A number of card numbers have been compromised, so we're cancelling them and reissuing them.' ??