Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homeless more of a rant sorry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OMFG

Right this is going to be more than of a rant I think, sorry in advance.

3 years ago I moved in with 2 mates to a crumbling house with a lovely garden.

over the years, we each added stuff (armchairs, sofas, an arcade machine (?!)cats, beds etc) and the poulation of the house changed, meaning I now live with 2 strangers and they have decided that the house is too shabby they want out.

So now I am left with the task of clearing out the entire house and garage of all the things they couldnt be arsed to take with them at the time they moved!! this is not just a few trips to the dump, its going to be hardcore shifting big stuff, and I dont know how Im going to do it all. Within the month of January.How does one move an arcade machine? or sell it without any games?

Ive contacted a charity to have the furniture, they cannot collect it. the council will take it awawy for 30 quid a time (£££).

One of my mates that left stuff there is going to help, which is brill, but the girls who live there now arent interested and are in fact whinging aoubt the move (they wanted it!!)

Ive had to re home my cat which Im gutted about, because I dont know where Im going to end up, and cant risk her not haveing anywhere except the RSPCA.

Am all over the place, sorry this isnt v coherant, but why do people think its ok to screw their mates like this?

one of the people is probably reading this, he likes to spy on my internet activity from time to time, but thats another story.

thanx if youve read this far, but does anyone have any ideas how to get out of this mess without being in finantial ruin?

Comments

• Options
    Where are you going to?

I have a similar issue at the moment. Do you know anyone with a car who can help you take stuff to the dump?

Freecycle.
  • Options
    Dunno where Im going at the moment, thought getting catty sorted first, have been offered loads of places to sleep but I need something proper like another room in a shared house, because I have stuff as well as just myself.

I have a car, but I cant get the sofas or the arcade machine in it or onit infact. Theya re just too big.

Whats free cycle?
  • Options
    free cycle is a really good idea http://www.freecycle.org/

you can get rid of the things you don't want and as long as the person can collect it from you themselves then it's free.

it sounds like a huuuuge task but maybe you and your friend can go through everything and decide what you want to chuck and what you could get rid of. some things could be donated to a charity shop and some things you could probably sell. how about having a stall at a car boot sale? what type of things have they left behind?
  • Options
    i suggest freecycle too
  • Options
    Yep, if you are just wanting rid then freecycle can be good - probably depends where you live, but when we moved house we put a few things on freecycle and they generally went within a day no matter how rubbish we thought they were.

Also re an arcade machine I think you may find there is a lot of interest in that even if it is just a shell. You could try a quick ebay auction for it.

Then just hire a skip. 50 quid or something and you can throw the remaining rubbish in. Just break up the big stuff and cram it all in.
  • Options
    Lankygirl, people have suggested freecycle for the goods and I've looked at their website and even found someone local to me in Salford should I ever need to get rid of stuff, so they should be able to help you.

I'm gonna try to focus on the potential homelessness, but since the location part of your profile doesn't say what country you're in and some people from other countries may use this website, I don't know whether this will help; I'm going to assume you're in England for now.

You need to consult someone at the Citizens Advice Bureau if possible. If you're 19 or less Connexions may be able to help too.

EDIT: This is from Shelter's website: 'Councils only have to accept applications from people who are actually homeless, or who are threatened with homelessness within 28 days. You should be considered to be threatened with homelessness if, for instance:

you have been given a valid notice by your landlord which expires within 28 days
    you are due to be discharged from an institution (eg. hospital or prison) within 28 days and have nowhere to go
    you have been asked to leave by friends or family within 28 days
    If it is not likely that you will become homeless within 28 days, the council must still give you advice and assistance about avoiding homelessness.
    '

If you meet certain conditions, the council has a duty to provide you with accommodation. Even if you don't meet all the conditions, they may still have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation to give you chance to find somewhere to stay - though this temporary accommodation may only be for 2 weeks (I believe this is the minimum though I'm not certain).

For more info, give Shelterline a call, though expect to wait some time for the call to be answered as they're very busy. This is Shelter's ENGLAND website http://england.shelter.org.uk/home/index.cfm (you can click a different UK country from that page) and Shelterline (0808 800 4444) is open 7 days a week from 8am until midnight and they're good at giving advice.