Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Payment Board/Money To Parents!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just started a full time apprenticeship program, i get paid £90 a week which is £360 a month, but my mum and step dad want £140 a month plus i have to pay the phone/internet and line rental which will bring it up to about £180, i think thats really really unfair, its taking pretty much 50%+ of my whole earnings. Plus ive got a contract mobile phone / bus fairs and other little things like that which make it even more, so im being left with next to nothing!

I really don't know what to do, everytime i try & argue with them about it they always say well you can move out then...

Comments

• Options
    Do they use the internet? If not then it's hardly fair that they're paying for your usage of it. I have to pay for a whole lot more than that on a whole lot less so I wouldn't complain, like.
  • Options
    Yea, my sisters and dad both have computers, they dont use them alot so they say im the main user, but the thing is though, she play on the Nintendo Wii / Ds & PSP which some of the games require a wireless internet connection...

Also, i do not use the home phone at all.. i have a mobile with over 10 hours of minutes a month..
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    sorry to sound like a grump, but the amount your paying aint all that much...you wont be able to get anything to rent for that.

Perhaps if you want your space and still pay a similar amount look to see if any of your mates want to move out?

How old are you? What kind of job do you have?
  • Options
    The rent for where i live which is a two bedroom flat, is £450 a month and thats before you have to pay council tax, electricity and gas bills, water bills, food bills

bearing in mind that you do eat food that i assume you dont buy all of it, you use the heat and water in the house etc

what your parents are charging you is pretty good
    i used to pay my mam £50 a week before i moved out
  • Options
    It's a pretty fair amount but you could try bargaining with them on the phone thing. Tell them you'll pay half of the line rental per month or you'd rather not have that service at all. then don't budge. they'll give. probably.
  • Options
    Richard525 wrote: »
    Just started a full time apprenticeship program, i get paid £90 a week which is £360 a month, but my mum and step dad want £140 a month plus i have to pay the phone/internet and line rental which will bring it up to about £180, i think thats really really unfair, its taking pretty much 50%+ of my whole earnings. Plus ive got a contract mobile phone / bus fairs and other little things like that which make it even more, so im being left with next to nothing!

I really don't know what to do, everytime i try & argue with them about it they always say well you can move out then...

I'd say the overall amount they want is fair - what's isn't is that crappy £90 a week - are you studying to be a slave or something?

Why do you have to pay the phone bill - if you have internet then you can call around the world for almost free over the internet. I have an internet phone account that I put £10 every 120 days into and can call all over the world for free - when the 120 days is up I get charged 1p a minute until I next top up with £10. I can also use it to send free SMS as well all over the world.

However I would say if you are on such a low income what the heck you got a contract mobile phone for in the first place? Although I think mobile phone are pretty useful and essential these days I don't think there's many people with a contract phone that actually needs to be. If you're on £90 you should be on PAYG.
  • Options
    I agree with DG. But to be frank, even if you do pay your parents £180 a month, you're still left with £180 for yourself. Not too bad, depending on what you have to pay out of that.

How long does the apprentiship last for?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'd say the overall amount they want is fair - what's isn't is that crappy £90 a week - are you studying to be a slave or something?

The minimum wage doesn't apply to people doing apprenticeships as the company has to pay for training as well.
  • Options
    As people have said, that amount is actually very reasonable actually. It sounds worse 'cos you think of it as being 50% of your salary.

But bargain on the phone/internet issue. Just because the family don't use it as much as you do, isn't the point. The facility is there. One doesn't expect a reduction in one's TV bill 'cos you don't happen to watch every program on every channel.
  • Options
    wish i could rent somewhere for that!!!

Youve still got a hell of a lot more disposable income than most people.

welcome to life :( it only gets worse.
  • Options
    wish i could rent somewhere for that!!!

Youve still got a hell of a lot more disposable income than most people.

welcome to life :( it only gets worse.

roflmao
  • Options
    Like everyone said you wouldn't be able to rent privatly for cheaper so it's not that bad what their asking.
    I pay £100 a month which does include food, but not things ike my internet which I pay for myself.
    And it could be worse, when I was at uni living in halls I payed £411 a month and only got a bursery off £500 a month. So with the £90 I had to pay for travel to placements, food and whatever else I needed. You not as bad off as your making out to be fair!
  • Options
    I can see where the OP is coming from. Mum is always after money from me, like a leech. I know it's not as cheap as private renting, but it's family. When I'm back from uni mum wants me to pay board, even though she didn't charge my brother board whilst he was studying, and not one of my friends does. It all contributes towards a big hole in my bank account.

It's much worse when you get a lot of money. Like, sell a car or something and they'll want £100 - £200 cut. You can see the $$ in their eyes. Which they then spend on themselves, obv!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I know it's not as cheap as private renting, but it's family.

Family? Why should they put themselves at any major financial disadvantage just because you are 'family? What do YOU do for them to ease their lives because you are 'family? :)
    When I'm back from uni mum wants me to pay board, even though she didn't charge my brother board whilst he was studying!

So you and your brother are both at uni but only you pay bard? That does sound unfair on the surface of it.
    Like, sell a car or something and they'll want £100 - £200 cut.

Did they help to pay for the car?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Family? Why should they put themselves at any major financial disadvantage just because you are 'family? What do YOU do for them to ease their lives because you are 'family? :)

Just like family stuff. Have to do more chores at home because there's more people, and brother and sister work. At uni I only need to clean up after myself.
    So you and your brother are both at uni but only you pay bard? That does sound unfair on the surface of it.

Not exactly. My brother has graduated now. But when he was at uni, he didn't have to. But now he's left, he's got a job and paying board, and mum expects me to pay as well even though I'm still at uni.
    Did they help to pay for the car?

It was actually a motorbike and no :). I was poor at the time and as soon as it was sold I had the first money in ages, I got £400 for it and mum took £100. That's mother's added tax ;).
  • Options
    It was actually a motorbike and no :). I was poor at the time and as soon as it was sold I had the first money in ages, I got £400 for it and mum took £100. That's mother's added tax ;).
    wtf man, why did you give her money from something you bought and sold, its got nothing to do with her! Would she have given you anything were the roles reversed? i doubt it!
  • Options

What ? Thats bad. Really bad tbh mate.

I don't think the amount the OP parents asking for is too bad on the surface. But I think they really should take into consideration the act he's making basically fuck all money and there having 50% of it.

My parents never took anythink off me, but still made sure I knew the value of money. So it wasn't a shock when I moved out and got a mortgage etc.
  • Options
    I would try negotating with them on the phone/internet, maybe offer to pay for the internet but not the phone/line reantal if you hardly use it. It does seem like a lot of money to pay them.

I've always paid board to my parents since I started working at 18, and its always been much cheaper to stay living at home then renting somewhere.
  • Options
    sorry to be harsh, but i survive off £45 a week, and i have to pay for everything! i have £30 left at the end of the month to spend on myself.

welcome to the real world.

may i also ask how old you are? i've been living like this since i was 16, i'm now 18 and will have to live like this till september...

the more responsiblities you take on, the less disposable income you have.
  • Options
    Its not that im moaning, its just that out of everyone i know i pay more than double than anyone else... some dont pay anything at all... i offered to pay a little bit when i had a part time job

apprenticeship lasts for 8-12months, most of you would know it as a YTS if you'r a little older than me and that you dont get alot of money while you are doing it but its much better than doing college and geting £30 a week.
  • Options
    Im 19, i know its late to start an apprenticeship but it's the only way im gonna get into this sort of thing with all the immigrants and people coming into the country.

This way i earn
    A qualification in what im doing
    Forklift truck licence / driving liscence & lorry liscence
  • Options
    Richard525 wrote: »
    Im 19, i know its late to start an apprenticeship but it's the only way im gonna get into this sort of thing with all the immigrants and people coming into the country.

This way i earn
    A qualification in what im doing
    Forklift truck licence / driving liscence & lorry liscence

There are plenty of places near me that do free forklift courses
  • Options
    Theres a big difference though. im not being nasty saying your posh or anything, i live in Nottingham.. It's not exactly on par with Durham in some ways..

unemployment is like the highest in the country so you'd think it would be easier to find a job but there is no where, plus im just about the only english family on my street and out of a county population of just under a million only 34% of people in the city area are english which only 3 in 5, so all the foreigners are robbing all the manual jobs
  • Options
    Just wait till y'all have kids, if you think that you fork over shitloads of cash now [/bankrupt]

As for OP, that does sound high to me, especially as you are on low wage. I plan to do what my Mum did for me, one days wages per week. So if you are earning £90, I would expect £18 per week in "keep".

What your parents seem to have forgotten is that they would be getting na-da if you weren't earning.
  • Options
    £700 a month mortgage
    £165 council tax
    £150 food
    £50 Gas, water, electric
    £100 on phones and broadband
    £30 Sky
    £120 petrol
    £55 car insurance

e.t.c. e.t.c.

You're quite lucky, it's a high proportion of what you earn, no doubt but it's still quite low.
  • Options
    I used to have to pay my mum 45 a month. it was a bitch when i was there but i would turn the clocks back any day coz now I pay out most of my wage. I love living on my own tho. I am left with about 35 a week to live on, with that i have to buy food and go out etc.

Its the way the world works.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    £700 a month mortgage
    £165 council tax
    £150 food
    £50 Gas, water, electric
    £100 on phones and broadband
    £30 Sky
    £120 petrol
    £55 car insurance

e.t.c. e.t.c.

You're quite lucky, it's a high proportion of what you earn, no doubt but it's still quite low.

Most people don't pay loads of board though, having to pay half of your wages in board is pretty harsh. It is cheaper than rent but normally it's something like a quarter. My mum charged me 1/3 I think and that was steep compared to what my friends were earning. But I was in a well paid job so it probably seemed more.
  • Options
    tbh, it isn't really needed for those living independantly to come here saying how much they pay for this and that, this is about paying board.
    The way I see it, just compromise so you're paying your share of what you use, which you probably just need to do for the phone bill. And get a pay as you go phone! It really is amazing how much you save when you can't just keep using it. Unless you really really need it for some reason.
  • Options
    Re Board

We have just decided to charge our Daughter Board now she is in permanant work. We have just this minute decided 10% of her wage, which we think is more than fair, so when her wage changes it will always be 10% regardless.