Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whip-a-rounds and people keeping the money

Is there anything someone could do if this had happened.

Its not me thankfully, but on another site I go to A friend was telling me that a few of them had chipped in to get a present for the moderator of that particular board. This was back in october and it was by paypal. The present was supposed to be sent to ANOTHER person who would then deliver the parcel by hand I think.

Now two weeks after christmas there still has been nothing it seems. The second girl hasnt heard anything from the first one. Nothing was said up till xmas but now its two weeks after I think people are starting to feel a bit like theyve been conned, and the woman who had everyone pay to her - using a different paypal account to normal I think, although not sure what diff that would make, has now said she is "taking a break" from the board due to she thinks shes being spied on by her abusive partner.

I PERSONALLY feel that its obvious theyve been ripped off, as otherwise she would be asking the other girl what happened, or wondering why the mod hadnt received the present etc, but she hasnt said anything, and noone on there wants to say anything as it was all supposed to be a surprise and they dont want to give up just yet. The downside of that is its almost impossible to find out how many people actually donated.

Is it actually criminal though? My friend thinks its too late now to claim the money back, and even though its only a loss of about a fiver each for most people, thats not the point.
Is there any point in taking it further.
I said id ask somewhere not related to that particular site, cos noone wants it to all kick off.
The mobile number for this girl doesnt seem to work.
Just seems such a con.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They knowingly paid money into someones (effectively a complete stranger's) paypal account. Don't want to sound harsh, but they should've seen it comin'.
  • Options
    I wouldnt go that far. I mean I wouldnt do it on here, but plenty of sites have more of a close knit community. Tbh, I probably wouldnt have trusted that particular person, but theres plenty of people online that i would trust.
    I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done, or whether its a lost cause.
  • Options
    I doubt anything can be done, because they willingly gave money to someone - what they choose to do with it is entirely up to them as it's become their property... if they'd signed a contract or something then maybe something could be done, but otherwise they can't do anything.
  • Options
    well... the money donated by pay pal would presumably be transfered to her card / bank so it isn't going to be hard to positively ID who she is. i don't see though how if you want something done about it why you're afraid of something kicking off... if you want something done, the starting point would be to start asking questions and start kicking something off.
  • Options
    I doubt anything can be done, because they willingly gave money to someone - what they choose to do with it is entirely up to them as it's become their property... if they'd signed a contract or something then maybe something could be done, but otherwise they can't do anything.

It's more like: you pay someone to do a service, they don't so it, you want your money back. If you gave some moolah to a mechanic and he didn't even lift your bonnet, you'd want your money back, same here, it's a contract. don't know how enforcable it is though, or how you could possibly go about getting your money back. They deserve a public outing though!
  • Options
    But this woman isn't a service, she's a person who you've given money to. She's under no obligation to spend it the way she may have said she'd spend it.

By all means, contact her and let her know you're unhappy, but legally (and I'm not lawyer) I can't see how anything would be enforceable.
  • Options
    I think thats what will happen tbh. Its not my place really as i didnt donate and didnt know anything about it till today.
    id be very tempted to out her too, but they have rules on that site about "troll outing" and not sure whether this would be the same. Also it IS quite close knit, and i dont think anyone wants to believe that thats what has really happened.
  • Options
    its still obtaining money under false pretenses.
  • Options
    ... provided of course the said present hasn't got lost in the xmas post...
  • Options
    well i think thats maybe why people have left it so long to say anything maybe, but a i said, i think the person who took the donations, would have been asking questions herself if that were the case, wondering why the mod hadnt posted to say thanks, or why girl 2 hadnt passed it on etc IYSWIM
  • Options
    if she doesn't use the boards anymore. why not bring the issue up?
    1st step to getting it sorted. :yes:
    and yes you could do somehting about it legally if you wanted to as i said it is obtaining money by false pretenses.
  • Options
    But this woman isn't a service, she's a person who you've given money to. She's under no obligation to spend it the way she may have said she'd spend it.

By all means, contact her and let her know you're unhappy, but legally (and I'm not lawyer) I can't see how anything would be enforceable.

she said she'd do it and took the money, one part of the contract can be proved, the other part can be to if it was via email. Even if it was verbal, it's still a contract. What part of agreeing to do something isn't a service?
  • Options
    yeah i think that might have to happen.

Thing is, from what i can gather, theyve kind of felt in limbo, as noone wanted to spoil the potential surprise for amy by saying anything, even if its looking less and less likely there will be a surprise at all.
    The one who took the donations has only just left in the last day or two so she may come back.
  • Options
    well i'd recommend you try and get it sorted sooner rather than later.
    if you want to do something don't be waiting around for her to return before you do anything.
    do you know how much money she took?
  • Options
    no idea, because its all been hush hush and noone wants to say anything, its a bit hard to know.
    I know its at least £50, probably a fair bit more
  • Options
    I think I would be tempted to blow the surprise and just ask on the forum. It's past Christmas now anyway.
  • Options
    It's theft, simple.
    You have given her money for something. She has scarpered without buying the present.
    Ask her for the money back or report it to the police.

You should have seen it coming though, sorry.
  • Options
    I'd probably get everyone who sent money to write an email to PayPal - but apart from that I doubt many people have the time to chase £5.

As for payment by PayPal in many cases I'd feel better using PayPal then paying direct - for example just ordered some stuff from Hong Kong and paid by PayPal and also booked a Hostel and paid the deposit via PayPal.

I'd rather keep my bank and creidt card details with PayPal and use then then have to keep giving it out to various companies I don't know.
  • Options
    Can you not all raise a paypal dispute?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    Can you not all raise a paypal dispute?

after all that reading you had posted the answer, it would be a pain to organise but if everyone filed a dispute they'd try and take the money back, having said if she knows what she's doing while scamming she'll have taken all the money out of her paypal by now.

i think its a bit harsh for people to say "you should have seen it coming", people trying to do a nice thing and someone has taken advantage. if it was me i'd out her, but i dont know the community you are talking about and how it works.

also its as legally binding as any other payment or transfer of funds, its a crime.

whoever said it wasnt is talking bollocks.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone. It seems to be everyone has it sorted and shes now all "i cant believe you dont trust me, im getting it sorted" but it still seems a bit suspicious to me, and even weirder that she thinks its outrageous that people doubted her when her secret santa thing from october still hasnt turned up 2 weeks after xmas without her even explaining it to people in the meantime.