Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Riots in Kenya

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7164890.stm
Kenya's President Mwai Kibaki won Thursday's closely-fought election, the electoral commission has declared.
The announcement came after opposition leader Raila Odinga accused Mr Kibaki of electoral fraud and called for a full re-assessment of the results.

Opposition protesters began riots in the capital Nairobi, just minutes after the announcement.

Oh dear, just what we need, another election tastic violence fest

UPDATE
Well i have just seen as breaking news on the bbc news channel, that the state police of Kenya have warned the losing candidate that if he attends an opposition rally planned to take place tomorrow, he will be arrested, tens of thousands are expected to turn up.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what does one expect?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    the state police of Kenya have warned the losing candidate that if he attends an opposition rally planned to take place tomorrow, he will be arrested.

because more than likely it will incite more violence.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    because more than likely it will incite more violence.

and er, cause the election was rigged?
  • Options
    Well, yes. I'm glad my dad isn't there atm (and won't go home until it's all over anyway because there'll be no food) because those reported death figures aren't even close to the actual death toll. And apparently there're people going on to buses etc and asking everyone what tribe they're from and killing all the non-local types.

I might post a bit more tomorrow...I'll see what everyone else has to say first :p.
  • Options
    Anyone see that guy getting hacked to death by a machette on the news?

Horrible...
  • Options
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    I've heard things on the News that have made my stomach turn.

A 3 year old whos eyes bleed because shes been raped that many times and how a women escaping from a burning church holding her 2 year old daughter had her snatched off her and thrown back in.

Its inhuman.

Where'd you hear that?

It's horrible out there, my girlfriends family are from there and her uncle is supposed to be returning to tend to his business

But it's dangerous enough when he's there anyway, he always leaves the country at these times...
  • Options
    I read that story about the 2 year old being thrown back into the church in today's paper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2234483,00.html
  • Options
    its just sick,reall upsetting :(
  • Options
    They said today that the foreign office are liasing with travel agents to start cancelling holidays

shouldnt they have been doing that days ago?
  • Options
    Well you have to be careful about advising people not to go there. The ball of kenyas downfall has started rolling and tourism is one of their primary sources of income, with out the country will only become worse.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Well you have to be careful about advising people not to go there. The ball of kenyas downfall has started rolling and tourism is one of their primary sources of income, with out the country will only become worse.

Why? The place is turning into a war zone and will probably end up like so many other countries on the continent. Not advising people to stay away would be mad.
  • Options
    They already were advising people not to travel there "unless absolutely necessary", like for the people who need to go and make sure their property is ok etcetc.

My dad HAS to go back over there sooner or later because he has a house there, so even though he's retiring in a few months anyway, he needs to bring all his stuff home, like.
  • Options
    Violence thing happens every 4 years with each election - it's not a new thing by far.

Holiday companies should have known better - this sort of thing has happened at every election I've seen there.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Why? The place is turning into a war zone and will probably end up like so many other countries on the continent. Not advising people to stay away would be mad.

True, but they have to make clear that it's only temporary, these riots come and go with elections in the country. To keep people away forever would destory the country even worse than it is, as Jonny said, Kenya needs tourism more than anything.

The argument is that if they need our tourism so much then why commit these horrendous acts? They bring it upon themselves.
    I suppose it boils down to whether you believe Africa is a lost cause or not...
  • Options
    "The men and women had babies and small children, but they carried pangas to defend themselves. Is someone with a panga innocent? It is not our custom to kill women and children. We told them to come out of the church, but they locked the door and refused to come out. So we burned them."

"Today, it is bows and arrows. In three days, if Kibaki has not resigned, we will have guns from Uganda,"

:( :no:
  • Options
    This makes me really sad. I'm not that interested about the people traveling there but those who live there and are now dieing there.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I suppose it boils down to whether you believe Africa is a lost cause or not...

its the same thing time after time, we are better off excepting africa is lost
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Do you mean that Africa is a lost cause? Hmm... I'd have to disagree with that one. Most of Africa is pretty well-governed these days, although as a continent, they do have questions to answer. In particular, South Africa's support for Robert Mugabe. If the African continent started putting pressure on Mugabe, things would change - and he'd no longer be able to rabbit on about "colonisation" and "plots" from the British.

As for the riots in Kenya, they are absolutely awful. Earlier tonight, I had a look at ITV News. They ran a big report about this. It was heart-breaking to see what's going on.
  • Options
    Meh, it's to be expected really. Colonialisation and nationalisation of random tribes, and then the eventual independence left a continent of middle managers smelling power.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Most of Africa is pretty well-governed these days, although as a continent, they do have questions to answer. In particular, South Africa's support for Robert Mugabe. If the African continent started putting pressure on Mugabe, things would change - and he'd no longer be able to rabbit on about "colonisation" and "plots" from the British.

Most of Africa is governed well these days??? I don't think you keep a good enough eye on African news. Even South Africa is sinking into a cess pool of violence, corruption and with Zuma likely to take over the presidency, will slide from a prosperous country into a Zimbawean-type dictatorship. Rainbow nation? More like the colours of baby shit.
  • Options
    Most of Africa is pretty well-governed these days

:confused:
  • Options
    People portray Africa as being a nation where corruption is rife. It's nowhere near as bad now as it was say, 20 years ago. Corruption still exists, but it's not on the huge scale of the past. However, Lefties like to peddle this lie, on the grounds they give a lot of money in aid to Africa, under the false grounds that they are "compassionate". No, "compassion" would be bringing down trade barriers. "Compassion" would be helping Africa to get rid of Mugabe. But all those would involve guts - something the Left lost a long time ago.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but notice yesterday, Gordon Brown took over where Father Tony left off. He preached to Africa about the importance of good government, and about avoiding corruption. This from a man who was in a government investigated by the police over cash for honours, and who's now being investigated again. I wouldn't blame South Africa if they told him to sod off, frankly.
  • Options
    When was the last time YOU went to Africa, Danny? Because I can tell you now that even before the riots, Kenya was FULL of corruption. Particularly in the police force.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Particularly in the police force.
    Not just in Africa, but I don't see you ranting about that.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I couldn't help but notice yesterday, Gordon Brown took over where Father Tony left off. He preached to Africa about the importance of good government, and about avoiding corruption. This from a man who was in a government investigated by the police over cash for honours, and who's now being investigated again. I wouldn't blame South Africa if they told him to sod off, frankly.

See, the difference is we have a wee thing called accountability. In a corrupt African nation, a cash for honours scandal wouldn't even be mentioned.
  • Options
    Not just in Africa, but I don't see you ranting about that.
    I wasn't ranting about anything. I was just commenting on your claim that there's not much corruption in Africa anymore.

This happened while I was over in Kenya seeing my dad. Basically, there was a sect that killed a lot of people, including some policemen, and the police went into a slum and just killed a whole load of random people, with no real evidence. It was better reported in the Kenyan news, but that's the basic jist.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    See, the difference is we have a wee thing called accountability. In a corrupt African nation, a cash for honours scandal wouldn't even be mentioned.
    Accountability? Mention "cash for honours" to any government minister and they just roll their eyes. They just say it was "overdone" they knew nothing about it and inevitably, that insincere "lessons have been learnt" phrase. If that's what they call accountability, God help us.

Franki: I've already said that what's happening in Kenya is absolutely appalling. When I state that corruption in Africa is not as bad as the West believes, I'm not seriously saying it doesn't exist. What happened with the sect and then with the police was equally appalling, and like everyone else, I condemn it.
  • Options
    Well then you obviously don't know what accountability is.