Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is there such a thing as internet addiction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys ;)

Well, I've 'seen' that some psychologists have come up with 'computer addiction' and 'internet addiction' - but really is that just another label for a normal thing or is it a serious issue. The reason I ask is because, whenever my PC breaks down I get soooooo much done (converting the garage into workshop in one day, woo!) and feel really good for it. Then the PC comes back online (it's my main hobby) and I spend so much time on it it's ridiculous. Must be 70+ hours a week :(.

I feel bad about it, but the thing is even now as I type this it's 'hard' to just turn it off.

Sigh. Reduces willpower to zero.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure but i know exactly what you mean. If for some reason the internet is out or my pc is broke i feel like i can get loads done, ill tidy my room (and the rest of the house!) sort out old junk, organise and label cd's and everything.

The internet does consume a lot of time on.. well not much really to be fair. I find that most of the time im just sat here waiting for someone to talk on msn or something. Maybe setting a daily allowance for the net would motivate you. whilest getting anything you need to do on the pc done?
    Not sure about an internet addiction as such but i also know how you feel.
    I've spent the majority of my Christmas holidays on the net, i think its just the ultimate precrastination tool. I've got 2 essays and a business plan to be doing as well as a hell of a lot of reading but i've done none of these instead choosing to sit around watching tv shows online or checking facebook/here. Rubbish isn't it.
    When I was at school age I spent my life on it - 10+ hours a day 7 days a week. My parents got very worried, but they didn't stop me using it. I suppose I just grew bored of it eventually and decided to cut down. Getting a type of RSI didn't help *later found out it wasn't RSI but a genetic condition, but spending less time online did help!*....

If you're worried, talk to someone (real, not online) ;)
    yes there is.

I had one about 8-10 years ago, I would stay up all night long to chat to my friends from around the world, even at the peril of college and work.. come home, sleep for a couple of hours, then get back online all night

day in day, for years, literally.

Horrendous state of affairs.
    :yes: ... pretty much like you can be addicted to anything.
    It's getting to the point where I'm considering selling / getting rid of my PC. :grump:

Not going to mess up Uni over a stupid attatchment to a stupid machine.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Must be 70+ hours a week :(.
    Given you're a student, I'm just surprised it's not higher than that. :p

I did Computing Studies for a year when I started my A-Levels. I was working with a group, and we had to produce a report on the pros and cons of the Internet. Whilst randomly searching Google on a boring Thursday afternoon, we came across something called Internet Addiction Disorder. When our lecturer first heard about it, he was convinced we were just making it up!
    yessssss..especially when i'm at uni as im always on facebook cuz i miss my friends
    When I was at my worst I was agitated at times when offline because I wanted to be online in case some of my buddies were around. I spent all my free time online. Ended up losing out on social maturity that I had to catch up with later on, I still don't feel fully fledged. (Depression didn't help with my situation)

I'm still pretty bad today, but I've 'grown up a bit' in my addiction. As in, I can go without for a few days if I need to. I however often experience that I don't get stuff done or delay doing stuff I need to or even really want to do because I'm wasting life online.

Sometimes I try to chop things up. If I read x many pages or something I allow myself to check stuff y online or chat for z mins. That way I'm still getting things done in small bits.
    What's also helped me tremendously is to turn the computer off if I can (was harder at uni!!). If it's turned off the temptation isn't as strong. When on I always have the excuse that I really need to 'just check this or that'.
    There is totally such a thing. I'm glad in many ways that I don't have the net in my flat, as it means when I go home I relax, read books, watch DVDs, cook, etc.

I associate the internet with being at work. I did have the net in my old house for a while, and I would stay up really late just looking at nothing, and then end up tired at work.

The internet is a good thing in many ways such as shopping, chatting, etc, but it's not a replacement for real life interaction. It's very bad for the eyes to spend endless hours on it as well.
    katchika wrote: »
    There is totally such a thing. I'm glad in many ways that I don't have the net in my flat, as it means when I go home I relax, read books, watch DVDs, cook, etc.

I associate the internet with being at work. I did have the net in my old house for a while, and I would stay up really late just looking at nothing, and then end up tired at work.

The internet is a good thing in many ways such as shopping, chatting, etc, but it's not a replacement for real life interaction. It's very bad for the eyes to spend endless hours on it as well.

It's funny you should say that.

I had an appointment with the opthomalogy dept. at Leicester Royal Infirmary this morning because I'm getting funny bouts of vision loss in one eye.

I missed it, cos I was on the PC last night. Only got myself to blame though.

On the good side, today I've been forcing myself to be productive, and have got a fair few bits done. The guilt of not doing anything just got too much.
    i dunno about anyone else, but i find that having information on pretty much everything in the world quite distracting