Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Phil O'Donnel has died

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
SSN are reporting that Motherwell Captain Phil O'Donnel has died tonight after collapsing during todays game.

RIP.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    One of the good guys :(

RIP
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/7164150.stm

Certainly puts the rest of us moaning about crap performances and dodgy referees into perspective.

That is absolutely tragic, especially at this time of year :(
  • Options
    That's terrible :(

RIP fella.
  • Options
    I just heard totally shocked.Im a celtic fan and always thou he was a top player,on his day he was class.I hadnt seen much of him this season but from what i had been reading this season he was back on form.
    rip
  • Options
    Rip
  • Options
    Another terrible loss to the game, he was always one of the good guys.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Very sad.

RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad, RIP.

Motherwell's games on Wednesday & Sunday (Hibs & Celtic) have been called off as a mark of respect. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/7164972.stm
  • Options
    Old Firm game for Wednesday called off aswell at Celtic's request.

Tbh they'd be as well calling off the whole SPL card for the 2nd. I've no appetite whatsoever to go and watch a game of football after what's happened :(
  • Options
    Sorry but that is wrong IMHO, the matches should go ahead.

Tagic as it is for his family it really shouldn't affect the rest of football. It's more a tribute to the person who gave his career (and eventually life) to the game that it continues...
  • Options
    Sorry but that is wrong IMHO, the matches should go ahead.

Tagic as it is for his family it really shouldn't affect the rest of football. It's more a tribute to the person who gave his career (and eventually life) to the game that it continues...

Possibly, but you remember he died during a Motherwell v Dundee United game, do you really think the Dundee United players and fans are in the right mind to play in or watch a game after what they saw in Saturday?

I still feel sick to the stomach, and I mean that.

Games should've been wiped out IMO, my whole family had a toast to him tonight. We can play the game some other time, remember these bairns aren't ever going to see their dad again :(
  • Options
    And they won't see him in February either but games will go ahead.

Respect is carrying on with life, showing that you think about the person who died. Several players have died over the years, during before and after games. This case isn't that different really.

But hey, it's up to the teams I suppose.

NB Dundee United's game is still on, as I type.
  • Options
    And they won't see him in February either but games will go ahead.

Respect is carrying on with life, showing that you think about the person who died. Several players have died over the years, during before and after games. This case isn't that different really.

But hey, it's up to the teams I suppose.

NB Dundee United's game is still on, as I type.

I think a team need to request an SPL postponement, maybe Dundee United feel they're alright to carry on? Everybody else who supports my team think it's fine to carry on, but I'm really not up for it at all now tbh.

I think it brings it home when it's a player in your own league.

I know it's what he would've wanted (to play on), but I can't get my head around any of this. I watched him two weeks ago against us and he was magnificent, tbh for the first time in my life whether we win or lose on Wednesday is an absolute irrelevance, 110%.

I genuinely hope Motherwell finish 3rd or win the cup this season.
  • Options
    Not being disrespectable or anything, but why have so many games been cancelled? I could understand the Motherwell game being cancelled (tomorrow's) but why the Hibs game on Sunday, the Old Firm tomorrow & Grenta's game?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Not being disrespectable or anything, but why have so many games been cancelled? I could understand the Motherwell game being cancelled (tomorrow's) but why the Hibs game on Sunday, the Old Firm tomorrow & Grenta's game?

Gretna's game is off because they're groundsharing with Motherwell and Fir Park is a shrine at the moment. I think they'd possibly have gone on with the Celtic game if it wasn't an Old Firm game, and Motherwell are meant to be playing Celtic on Sunday and the family requested that be postponed.

Why are Dundee United being forced to play (having directly witnessed the opposition captain dying, requested a postponement and having it turned down), but Rangers and Celtic get their games postponed whenever they feel like it e.g to "prepare" for European games?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Gretna's game is off because they're groundsharing with Motherwell and Fir Park is a shrine at the moment.

This makes sense.
    Why are Dundee United being forced to play (having directly witnessed the opposition captain dying, requested a postponement and having it turned down), but Rangers and Celtic get their games postponed whenever they feel like it e.g to "prepare" for European games?

This doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »

Because the SFA are fuckwits and only give a shit about the Old Firm. Funny how the Dons didn't get a postponement for their UEFA Cup games...

Which is pretty much what Chick Young had to say on the matter. Normally he talks out of his hat but he's right for once.

The SFA and the SPL are a disgrace. The whole card should have been postponed, really.

MoK, you'd be expecting a postponement if say, the fake Ronaldo, popped his clogs.
  • Options
    Sad news about Phil O'Donnell. It would be great to see Motherwell bounce back from this quickly and continue their great form for the rest of the season.

Kermit wrote: »
    Because the SFA are fuckwits and only give a shit about the Old Firm. Funny how the Dons didn't get a postponement for their UEFA Cup games...

If you're gonna try and have a go then at least get it right.

It's the SPL that decide on match postponements. Not the SFA.

Aberdeen were not given permission to postpone their league match immediately before a UEFA Cup tie because their opponents (Motherwell) refused.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    MoK, you'd be expecting a postponement if say, the fake Ronaldo, popped his clogs.

Only the United game in the next couple of days, not most of the league games and certainly wouldn't expect Sporting to cancel theirs because he once played for them.

Or do I need to mention the United player who died on his way to the game at QPR (when he was on loan)... or Mark Foe, of the Seville player who died this year....
  • Options
    Only the United game in the next couple of days, not most of the league games and certainly wouldn't expect Sporting to cancel theirs because he once played for them.

Or do I need to mention the United player who died on his way to the game at QPR (when he was on loan)... or Mark Foe, of the Seville player who died this year....

I could give plenty of similar examples from my own club when games went ahead after the death of a player or person upstairs. I would say what has happened with Phil O'Donnell and the SPL has been the exception. In the case of Sevilla, was it the UEFA Super Cup they played three days after Puerta died?

The SPL should either have said there will be a full fixture list (minus Motherwell) or postponed every game after the news broke. Instead, they made a complete arse of it.
  • Options

You have to bear in mind that O'Donnell wasn't just another player, he was the Motherwell captain and was Motherwell through and through. Made a better contribution than most to Scottish football over the years, if you're looking for a comparison then look at somebody like Ryan Giggs or Mark Hughes.

Nobody is telling me that the fixture list would (or should) be virtually unscathed if either of them died tomorrow.

And how in God's name anybody could force to play a game of football four days after witnessing a player dying of a heart attack on the pitch is beyond me? Credit to Dundee United though for winning 4-1 in spite of everything, granted it was only Hearts but still.