Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feeding other people's animals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cat is getting fat, and the vet will probably tell us off when she goes next. Who the fuck are these people who think it's okay to just feed other people's cats? She can't be getting fat on the stuff we feed her because she seems to be leaving most of it. And she's not that good at catching things. Does anyone actually do this?

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My cat is getting fat, and the vet will probably tell us off when she goes next. Who the fuck are these people who think it's okay to just feed other people's cats? She can't be getting fat on the stuff we feed her because she seems to be leaving most of it. And she's not that good at catching things. Does anyone actually do this?

The fella's mum has cats just wandering straight into her house, and the little buggers eat her cats' food. So perhaps your cat is doing this, rather than someone actually feeding her?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Possibly, but whenever a cat has tried to even come near our house, it will run away if someone comes near the door. I don't reckon cats can eat regularly at someone's house without them knowing about it and letting them tbh.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Possibly, but whenever a cat has tried to even come near our house, it will run away if someone comes near the door. I don't reckon cats can eat regularly at someone's house without them knowing about it and letting them tbh.

I would like to agree, but her cats all spit at the 2 others and she tries to usher them out the door, but they just wander around like it is their house, and according to the vet they are causing her eldest cat to suffer with stress.

These cats have severe balls, and are full of cheek
    I used to have a cat that used to go straight to the flat underneath and into their cat flap. Im pretty damn sure they fed her too.
    No, and I hate it when people do. One of my kitties is poorly and only allowed special medicated cat food, so if other people feed him it can make him really ill :(
    She might be finding food on her travels as well.

My dog is the greediest animal alive, and almost every day she will find and devour some foodstuff that has been carelessly abandoned in the park. Everything from sarnies to chocolate bars. Plus she's a beagle, so she can smell half an egg butty at a distance of 3 miles and sprint directly to it. Fatty :(
    Some of the people across the road used to feed our cat. She used to disappear for days on end and we'd see her coming out from under their gate. They fed her chicken complete with bones once and one of the bones got stuck in her throat. Obviously WE had to foot the vet's bill. My mum went over there and basically told them to fuck off feeding our cat or just not let her come back to our house. Needless to say she never came back home again ;(.
    Franki wrote: »
    My mum went over there and basically told them to fuck off feeding our cat or just not let her come back to our house. Needless to say she never came back home again ;(.

Your mum or the cat ?
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Your mum or the cat ?
    The cat :p
    my mum has fed other people's cats when they wander into the garden at feeding time, but thats more to do with her having so many that sometimes she doesn't notice if they aren't hers to feed if they look like the others (we had fourteen at one point, down to twelve now)
    thats a hell of a lot of cats :)
    A woman across the street from my Nan used to feed her cats, unfortunate thing was that at one point, my Nan went on holiday and on returning found her cat was now living with this woman.. Bit of a cheek on the woman's behalf, considering the cat's vet bills etc had all been paid and whatever.

My neighbour does the same thing - feeds our cat, as it just went into her house. Only solution was for her to squirt a water-pistol at it whenever it came near. It worked as well :D
    Is bang out pf prder. Pople over the road used to feed our cat then she'd stagger home and spew as I think they gave her milk that she couldn't stomach. great.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cats are scroungers, they'll make a concious effort to get extra food. Also bear in mind, ALOT of cats have two homes. ALOT of cats hunt and kill, and eat the kill, if they don't give it to you as a present. And ALOT of cats scrounge out of rubbish.

Some even do all the above. Cats are intelligent, they get all they can. They'll only be picky when you are looking.
    I hate people like this

our neighbours were feeding out cat for a long time, then suddenly they up and moved taking our cat with them along with three other local cats. No one knows where they have moved to and it seems none of us are likely to get our cats back, if someone stole something from your home they would get in trouble, yet despite all of us whose cats had been stolen reporting it to the police we were told there was nothing they could do, they said that it was a hazard of owning a cat, he even suggested we get a dog which is more loyal.
    Hey jossiemarie, welcome to TheSite :wave:

It's always good to check the date on a thread before you reply, this one is originally from 2007 so I'm going to close it now - don't be afraid to start your own new threads though :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.