Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

No Sound

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was fiddling about with my computer, and next thing I know next time I turned it on it had a pop up box saying no access to volume control as I started it up (which it still does everytime I turn it on), and basically there's no sound on it and I can't get the sound to work.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What exactly were you fiddling with? The internal hardware? The OS? The drivers? You could have done almost anything ... more info? :)
    I am not entirely sure.
    I was deleting programmes, to create more space on the computer.

I know, I know... I am a dumbass.
    Just did, apparently there's no sound device. Looking for installation cd now to try and reinstall it.

:)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    And just so that you'd know, "deleting" programs hasn't worked since the DOS days. You uninstall programs, and in Windows that's done through the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs".
    Deleting programs can cause several kinds of problems, especially (but not only) if you don't know what you're deleting.
    And just so that you'd know, "deleting" programs hasn't worked since the DOS days. You uninstall programs, and in Windows that's done through the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs".
    Deleting programs can cause several kinds of problems, especially (but not only) if you don't know what you're deleting.

Whatever you want to call it, thats what I did (don't really see the difference betwee them).
    Either way, can't find installation cd, argh!
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Whatever you want to call it, thats what I did (don't really see the difference betwee them).
    Either way, can't find installation cd, argh!
    Sorry, I thought by "deleting" you meant you went into C:\Program Files and started deleting stuff. The Add/Remove thing tells you what each thing is though, so it must have said if you deleted the sound drivers... So unless you just weren't paying attention, it might be a different problem altogether.

As for not finding the installation CD, don't fret. If you know what type of soundcard it is you can go to the manufactor's web page and download the drivers from there.
    Have you checked to see if anything is showing up at all in the device manager?

Right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager.

Does anything show up with a yellow exclamation mark on?
    Matteh wrote: »
    Have you checked to see if anything is showing up at all in the device manager?

Right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager.

Does anything show up with a yellow exclamation mark on?

Yup, yellow exclamation mark by the Audio device.
    Is there anyway to go about it without the installation cd, you reckon? Or do I need to continue my search?

Thanks
    Let's ave' a screen shot :)

Check the manafacture website too
    here you go...
    Hmmm.... High Definition Audio Bus?

Here ya go. This is the --> download page <-- for your sound drivers.

Choose the top line if you're Vista, or 2nd line if you're XP.

Oh and post 1500 :-)
    Ooh thanks.
    Though me being me, can I ask, what do I do once I've downloaded it?
    Thanks
    What kind of things are in the .zip?
    If it's an .inf, you could go to that thing in the device manager, double click and "install drivers" (or something like it) and find that .inf. But I don't know for sure.
    This is what is in the folder.

Just don't really know how to go about it all :(
    I am going insane. Lost my mp3 player, my stereo is broken, and now I have no sound on my computer.
    The file called "Readme" probably tells you what to do. I suppose it will just tell you to run setup.exe (which just appears as "setup" there because you've not turned off the "hide extensions" option).
    It's working again!
    Yay, thanks guy :D
    One is glad to be of service... And I'm sure the same goes for Monserrat and the others. ;)
    Glad you got it sorted Wendy! It was my mistake for not realising that the file was actually a ZIP containing further files as opposed to a single executable. I apologise for that.