Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Post traumatic stress disorder?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya all...

As some of you may know I came out of a long relationship late last year because I was deeply unhappy and I had met someone new. After 10 months of living with my ex and all the nightmares that involved I finally bought my own house in Sept and my new man has moved in with me.

It's all generally fine, though I did go to 4 sessions of counselling when I first bought the house because I was having a hard time getting everyting I had been through straigh in my head.

I am a born Worrier, and the counsellor said I over analyse and think about everything. She taught me some techniques to get through real anxious times and I really do think the sessions helped me....

but...

Lately I have been feeling so low, been so down on myself and been crying so much that I'm starting to worry.

Do you think it's possible that someone could have post traumatic stress disorder from something like a difficult breakup?

Even though I was unhappy in my previous relationship I really never cried as much as I seem to now. Perhaps it's just all the stress of the last few years being let out (Whereas I would always keep it in before)?

Anyone know anything about PTSD? Or am I just being over dramatic?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PTSD is a very complex disorder. and just because you have nightmares and lots of crying it isn't enough to mean PTSD. - were you ever in a situation where you feared for your own life? or an extremely traumatic situation?
    tbh although i don't know everything about you i would doubt thats what it is from what you have said. but then the only way to know for sure would be to get properly diagnosed.
    i used to have very severe PTSD, i'm still not 100% and it may take years to be so, but i am much better. though this was due to childhood abuse not a relationship breakdown (but it didn't help and put me back a hell of a lot). people can get PTSD from seeing someone knocked over by a car, by failing exams, by having the house flooded. i think it's entirely possible that someone could have PTSD after a relationship breakdown, probably not severely but it could be possible.

it might be an idea to see if you can get refered to a psycotherapist, they work on a much deeper level than councilors.

(but on a personal level, when you get into a safe space in your life, when you feel secure, it you have had a tramatic time it's natural for you to feel able to let it all out. i know when i find my own place and make into a home, that the first few months will probably be very teary cos it will have be the first "permanant" home i've had since i was 5, and i (hope) i'll feel far more secure than were i currently am)
    tbh life will always throw some shit your way and some things will take a while to get over but i'd be careful before labeling yourself with a psychiatric disorder like PTSD.
    I mean an actual diagnosis shouldn't matter to much anyway should it? What difference does it really make? I've been diagnosed with severe PSTD and haven't ever had anything massively traumatic happen like physical abuse, I only get flashbacks of stuff like being in hosptial which isn't that big a deal.

PSTD is stuff like flashbacks of traumatic events and being severely affected by whatever happened now. But I don't really know loads about it tbh, sorry if this is no help at all x
    otter wrote: »
    PTSD is a very complex disorder. and just because you have nightmares and lots of crying it isn't enough to mean PTSD. - were you ever in a situation where you feared for your own life? or an extremely traumatic situation?
    tbh although i don't know everything about you i would doubt thats what it is from what you have said. but then the only way to know for sure would be to get properly diagnosed.

yeah - you're probably right - I read a bit on the internet and realised that (as the name suggests) it comes from trauma. I did have moments of real fear when my ex was being an arse, but I am thinking it's probably just stress and anxiety.
    My sister was diagnosed with PTSD when she was 14 after being attacked by a gang of girls outside a youth/night club. She's had it even worse since we were both involved in a car accident 18 months ago. She has nightmares, flashbacks, panic attacks, insomnia and OCD as a result.