Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Who Can't Drive?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how i love living in london...
    katchika wrote: »
    If they want to make the roads safer, there are many other things they could look at, such as the safety of older drivers who took a test many many years ago.
    That's not entirely correct. The oldest drivers on our roads today never had to do a test at all. All they had to do was learn to drive a car, and when they were ready, they applied for a licence. It was a very different climate to today - for instance, age restrictions for drivers weren't introduced until 1930. The Highway Code was introduced a year later, and testing was extended to groups such as lorry drivers later in the decade. Driving tests were voluntary when first introduced - they weren't made compulsory until 1935.

Relatively few changes were made to the driving test after this period. The biggest changes have been made since 1990, when the Driving Standards Agency was created. Previously, it was the Department of Transport's responsibility. In November 1995, they introduced the Pass Plus scheme - nowadays, it's possible to get councils in most areas to pay the majority of the cost for you. It means that taking the Pass Plus course can cost as little as £20. It will for me when I do it early next year, and you can save hundreds on the cost of insurance.

In 1997, new laws meant that, if a new driver gained six or more penalty points during the first two years of driving, they lost their licence and must retake both the theory and practical driving test before being allowed back on the roads. The test was extended in 1999, reducing the number of minor faults that a candidate could commit to 16. (this has since been reduced again to 14) The hazard perception test was introduced in November 2002, and this has been beefed up since its inception. And now, it looks like the driving test is going to be revamped yet again.
    how the hell do you know all that?
    katralla wrote: »
    how the hell do you know all that?
    I swallow up useless information like a sponge, and my driving instructor was the same. He taught me most of what I know about driving, and that includes the history. One fact I omitted to mention was that formal testing for drivers has only been suspended twice since its introduction. They were suspended during World War 2 and later in 1956, due to the Suez crisis.
    I'm learning as of jan because my nan is paying for me as i need to be passed by aug in order to go thru with a job promotion i've been offered! :D
    I'm hopefully going to start learning once my 17th comes, in July 08.. Though what DG said about those simulator things, I think that could really help me when I do start to learn, as I'm not sure I'd be so confident out on the road at first..

Lol I'm panicking about driving, and I'm nowhere near taking my test etc yet!!
    Think I spent something like 1000-1100 pounds 8-10 years ago, probably less when taking todays value of the cash into the equation.
    'Who can't drive ?'

Me. Be thankful :)
    I am supposedly learning to drive at the moment, had my first lesson September 07, and have been having an hour lesson a week, with many weeks being cancelled. I only have my lessons; I'm not allowed to practice with my dad. I feel like I have got very little; and according to people at school/college I am a quick learner. I will not pass my test before I am 18; and if I did then I would feel like I hadn't been with my instructor enough anyway.

As for the 100/500 hour thing.

"Most people will spend at least 500 hours mastering the key skills. Under the current arrangement, some new drivers pass their test after spending only 100 hours behind the wheel."

Mabye that's just me reading it wrong BUT it isn't saying people WILL have to have at least 500 hours being the wheel, it's saying that with them raising the age to 18 to take the actual test then people will probably have nearer 500 hours. Which is still not true really - if I will have been learning for a year, from turning 17 to turning 18; at an hour a week I will have had about 100 hours. I guess they assume people have more than an hour and practice lots with family/friends.

I think raising it to 18 is a good thing BUT what makes me mad is that only 17 year old will have to have a 12 month training period, yet if you start learning when you are 18 then you don't have to have any minimum training period. Bit unfair really. I know statistics say that more 17-18 year olds have accidents and cause injuries but still, make it across the board. I'm sure a 12 month training period would benefit all, of all ages.

Discrimination agaisnt young people, yet again.