Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Digital camera recommendation needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, my trusty digital camera of nearly 2 years has finally given up the ghost and gone to digital camera heaven.

This is years of abuse down the yard, out on rides, x/country, shows, day trips to the beach, clubbing, rain, droppage. It's been about!

I'm after a small but at least 5MP (not after anything too WOW) resilient digital camera which is convenient for numerous trips. My lovely Si has offered to buy me an early birthday pressies, but I don't know what brand to go for.

My old one was unbranded!

Comments

• Options
    Anything by Canon, Nikkon or Olympus. Cameras are their bread and butter and it's pretty much all they concentrate on.
    They normally have good lenses and are easy to use. 5mp is too small nowadays as well, you can get 7mp quite cheaply.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/534560/art/canon/digital-ixus-75-in-black.html is a good model
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Whowhere wrote: »
    5mp is too small nowadays

Too small for what? For most needs, 5mp is actually quite ample. Unless you want to print out photos that are 10"x12", I would argue that anymore than 5mp isn't needed. I have printed out many photos on a 7"x5" on less than 5mp and they have come out really well.
  • Options
    Too small for what? For most needs, 5mp is actually quite ample. Unless you want to print out photos that are 10"x12", I would argue that anymore than 5mp isn't needed. I have printed out many photos on a 7"x5" on less than 5mp and they have come out really well.

When you're spoilt on 10Mp then 5 is too small :P

But yes, you're right.
  • Options
    I have a 3 and 5 meg camera and in every case I never print out my pics they just go on to a DVD, CD or on the web.

Seeing as most computer screens are about 1 meg at the most - a camera with 3 and 5 are more then enough for me.

People need to get off the megapixels and realise a decent lense is more useful.

My 5 megapixel camera has a real optical 6x zoom lense and optical stabliser and both features I'd have any day over more megapixels
  • Options
    Anything by Canon, Nikkon or Olympus. Cameras are their bread and butter and it's pretty much all they concentrate on.

Aint you ever seen a Canon printer or canon photocopier?

not to mention the Canon Calculators .. :D

http://www.canon.co.uk/Products_Solutions/index.asp
  • Options
    You didn't specify a budget at all, if you want something really cheap then you wouldn't go far wrong with this Nikon Coolpix L10, at least at £46 -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5605606/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

Be quick though as it's in the sale.

Personally I am forking out £71 for this Sony S650

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-S650-Digital-Camera/dp/B000MVWPXC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198998863&sr=8-1

Bulkier but far better camera, obviously more expensive too

That's what I'd do on a budget anyway
  • Options
    i have a 6 megapixal camera and its suitable for all my needs. it prints out 10x8'' photos just fine. i think a lot of the time your going to get different qualities of photos with cameras all apparently the same strength. Like Whowhere said olympus is a good make across the range but i'd argue most nikkon cameras are only good at the top end of the line... it depends on what you want to do with it really and like CoT said how much you/your bf expect to spend.
  • Options
    I replaced my old film Minolta camera with a Samsung, and tbh, it doesn't even compare. The Minolta was outstanding, especially at low light, whereas the Samsung comes out more grainy. I also drove about 50 miles on a perfect day, got out to take some picture of the scenery, and it broke. I agree, stick to a proper camera manufacturer, or one with a proper camera manufacturers lense (Sony or Panasonic).
  • Options
    They normally have good lenses and are easy to use. 5mp is too small nowadays as well, you can get 7mp quite cheaply.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/534560/art/canon/digital-ixus-75-in-black.html is a good model

More megapixels doesn't mean better quality picture. In fact if they have the same sensor than cramming more megapixels onto it means you get a crappier picture.

As said by others, unless you are planning on making massive prints then a 5mp camera is more than enough.
  • Options
    Have noticed that a lot of the newer cameras have face detection. How important would you deem it to be? Or is it just a cute little addition, but wont change anything significant by any means?
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    but wont change anything significant by any means?

:yes: unless of course you didn't know how to recognize a face yourself in the view finder and of course is also useless for landscapes etc. ;)
  • Options
    Is it true that you can only use Sony memory sticks with Sony cameras?