Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Benazir Bhutto dead

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Benazir Bhutto 'killed in blast'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7161590.stm

I had an inkling some months ago that some bastard would get to her .... :impissed:

This world is so f*cked up.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the world just gets sicker and sicker... they've been after her for ages, but who will they want next?
    RIP
    she shouldn't have returned to pakistan.
    it was predictable imo.
    I can only hope her death signifies a popular and final rejection of fundamentalits and nutters.

The worst case scenario does not bear thinking about though: civil war in a nuclear country...
    President Musharraf's Regime is in even more trouble now then it was before i think. With luck this will rally the people for peace and a rejection of fundamentalism, however, as Bhutto was going to be a strong prop for his Regime after the elections, her death could seriously create a conflict with in that country... or an even more and stringent clamp down on the people.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The worst case scenario does not bear thinking about though: civil war in a nuclear country...

Why do people only care when there is nukes or oil involved?

When a country has neither the rest of the world is happy to do very little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

"The realities of Rwanda in 1994 were staggering and are no less horrific in retrospect. A recent census confirms that over 900,000 men, women and children were murdered, most of them hacked to death with farm implements wielded by people they knew. ....The conventional wisdom of U.S. foreign policy is that resources are allocated and risks are taken in direct proportion to measurable security or economic interests. Possessing no oil and posing no threat to America's security, Rwanda simply did not meet the U.S. interests test."

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/kfiles/b44516.html
    I'm not suggesting some deaths or tragedies are more worthy than others. My current thinking is along the lines of extremists gaining power in Pakistan and thus access to no fewer than 50-80 thermonuclear weapons.

Because a nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India would frankly make Rwanda look like a playground fight.
    DG wrote: »
    Why do people only care when there is nukes ... involved?

The Rwandan incident, while a shameful part of Western history due to our lack of activity in resolving this, was contained. A nuclear war would have far more wider effects like nuclear fallout etc.
    Unbelieveable! Just saw it on the news now, it's just disgusting.
    oh crap, just saw this myself and i smell trouble
    Unbelieveable! Just saw it on the news now, it's just disgusting.

Although it's a shame she also didn't seem to think things ahead and plan very well with regards to personal security of herself and those around her.

The day she returned to Pakistan there was loads of trouble and people died - all of that was quiet foreseeable.

The fact she was a target is no great surprise .. I'm sure she knew that already each time she went out in public .. but I wonder why if not for her own sake - she didn't take more precautions for the people around her .. it's not just her that died today but herself plus many people standing around her - I believe another 20+ people died in that explosion.

It's also part of the reason I think all major world leaders should have their own means of transport such as their own assigned planes and not travel by regular scheduled air planes with average people because they are potential targets for being attacked by bombs and so putting ordinary people at risk.
    Can anyone else smell martial law?
    DG wrote: »
    Why do people only care when there is nukes or oil involved?

When a country has neither the rest of the world is happy to do very little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

"The realities of Rwanda in 1994 were staggering and are no less horrific in retrospect. A recent census confirms that over 900,000 men, women and children were murdered, most of them hacked to death with farm implements wielded by people they knew. ....The conventional wisdom of U.S. foreign policy is that resources are allocated and risks are taken in direct proportion to measurable security or economic interests. Possessing no oil and posing no threat to America's security, Rwanda simply did not meet the U.S. interests test."

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/kfiles/b44516.html

Fuck Rwanda, that'd already happened. How about Darfur that's going on as we speak? As soon as a British teacher is given 15 days in prison in the same country though, and it makes front page news all over the world for a week.
    I'm not suggesting some deaths or tragedies are more worthy than others. My current thinking is along the lines of extremists gaining power in Pakistan and thus access to no fewer than 50-80 thermonuclear weapons.

If it makes you feel any better, they only have the regular kind :razz:
    Regrettable but predictable and infinitely avoidable.

Rest in peace.
    Bastards, it was only a matter of time.

RIP.
    RIP Benazir Bhutto and the civilians. I was saddened by the news, but it was unforunately inevitable. She only survived another assassination attempt a few months ago (which killed over 100 civilians).

These kinda atrocities and killings are happening on a daily basis in countries like Pakistan. This one only grabbed the headlines because it killed an ex-PM.

It's just another one to add to the list.

We don't know for sure who killed her sanitize. Bhutto herself had said a few weeks ago she knew who wanted her dead and it was not Islamists who wanted her dead, but sections of the military associated with the government.

All in all a very worrying situation for the country.
    We don't know for sure who killed her sanitize. Bhutto herself had said a few weeks ago she knew who wanted her dead and it was not Islamists who wanted her dead, but sections of the military associated with the government.
    ^ I must've missed when she said that. Link?
    After the first assassination attempt in October, Bhutto spoke plainly about who she believed wanted her dead. "I know exactly who wants to kill me. They are dignitaries of General Zia's former regime who are behind extremism and fanaticism," she told the French magazine Paris-Match. Later she blamed "closet supporters" of the militants and spoke of her fear that retired military men wanted her dead. She pointed an accusing finger at the army's powerful intelligence arm, the Inter-Services Intelligence agency.

It's in the second group of 'suspects' listed in the article, under 'The Military'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,,2232736,00.html
    It's in the second group of 'suspects' listed in the article, under 'The Military'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,,2232736,00.html

I wonder what she meant by them being behind "extremism and fanaticism". In a secular or Islamist context?
    I think she might have meant the military were fomenting religious extremism and shit-stirring around because the resulting climate would be in their interests.
    Watch this, before it disappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8B6fpFSQ
    Vialls wrote: »
    Watch this, before it disappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8B6fpFSQ

That reference to who killed Osama Bin Laden .. surely that must be a mistake? :confused:
    sanitize wrote: »
    RIP Benazir Bhutto and the civilians. I was saddened by the news, but it was unforunately inevitable. She only survived another assassination attempt a few months ago (which killed over 100 civilians).

These kinda atrocities and killings are happening on a daily basis in countries like Pakistan. This one only grabbed the headlines because it killed an ex-PM.

It's just another one to add to the list.

Some news sources are reporting she actually died by hitting her head on the handle to the sunroof on her car

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7161666.stm
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I expected it to happen to be fair, it was obviousl. Military dictator, opposition leader appears...

hmm, wonder what will happen?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I expected it to happen to be fair, it was obviousl. Military dictator, opposition leader appears...

hmm, wonder what will happen?

There were two opposition leaders.. Nawaz Sharif, who was recently disqualified from taking part in Pakistan's upcoming elections, and Benazir Bhutto, who has just been murdered.

And to be fair, it is obvious that Musharaff didn't even need to do the deed himself, all he had to do was nothing. Al-Qaeda were already openly threatening to assassinate her, and she was largely dependent on Pakistan's military for her security.
    Al Qaeda has denied any involvement.

This is pretty rare in itself (it's usually the other way- Al Qaeda claims anything it can) and together with the bullshit story about Bhutto dying from a knock to the head while dodging the bullets, it makes me suspect of government/intelligence services involvement.
    Al Qaeda has denied any involvement.

Although they may have been taken aback by the wide, cross-political abbhorrence of the Pakastanis to this murder.

Just because they deny it, does not mean it is so. Remember they denied the killing of all those schoolchildren in Iraq a couple of years ago - when it was quite plainly them?

If there was government involvement, who would want to kill/sacrifice themselves in the process, for the sake of Musharraf? I wouldn't rule the governement out completely - but I certainly don't dismiss Al Qaeda yet.
    It could have well been a collusion between the two. An Al Qaida member of sympathiser allowed to get as close to Bhutto as he could. There were metal detectors in place and theoretically everyone going to the rally and its surroundings had been checked.

The some high rank officers in the Pakistani army as corrupt as fuck and not exactly fans of democracy. Many would have seen Bhutto's elimination as beneficial to their goals and beliefs.