Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Biological question about coke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a random quesion, but if someone snorts coke, does it go straight into their lungs or does it get absorbed into the blood stream in the nasal cavity / sinuses? I'm interested in knowing the biology of how it gets into the body and how damaging it is for various parts ie. whether it's more damaging for the nasal cavity than the lungs (or whether damage here only occurs when you smoke it).

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Insuffulation (snorting) leads to the substance being absorbed into the membrane of the nasal cavity, which is a highly vascular area and gets the cocaine into the bloodstream.

With insuffulation, as far as I am aware, the danger is first to the nasal cavity. You may wish to check the cocaine vault over at Erowid for further information.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/cocaine/cocaine.shtml
    Insuffulation (snorting) leads to the substance being absorbed into the membrane of the nasal cavity, which is a highly vascular area and gets the cocaine into the bloodstream.

:yes:
    Cocaine restricts the blood flow which means that the more you use the less is absorbed and the more damage is done to the tissue.
    Does this damage repair if you stop using?
    Aspire wrote: »
    Does this damage repair if you stop using?

It depends entirely on the damage, if you are an occasional weekend user you are unlikely to blow bits of your nose out, but the damage to the back of your nose and throat may well make you more suseptable to colds and infections.
    Hmm interesting.

I knew it did damage but wasn't sure how minor/major it may be. I haven't had any for a good few months now but whenever I do I always make a habit of washing the nostrils out (which I recommend to anyone who's into it!).

Would explain a few things too as I was catching every cold, flu & sore throat going earlier in the year when I was having heavy weekends and I've been perfectly well all through this winter :)
    Well not only will cocaine knock your immune system, but the nose and back of the throat is a prime location for your body to try and repell bugs and nasties so any damage there is going to cause problems.
    We have cocaine at work in the form of a paste and eye drops- and it goes to the operating theatres, so if its powerful enough for surgery, its no wonder people lose parts of their nose after prolonged use.