Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Returning a laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Using the Sale of Goods Act.

Basically. I bought a laptop less than 1 year ago from Curry's. Now this laptop has been back to be fixed 5 times and now its broke again with the same problem.

When it gets sent off to be fixed its away weeks (if not months) and in the mean time I have to use a old IBM, because I need a reliable laptop.

Now I don't want this laptop anymore. Within its first year its broke 5 times, as it gets older its only going to get worse. I could get insurance, but its not the point. The lost time is more annoying than anything

Quite simply I'm going to return the laptop with the aim of a full refund using the Sale of Goods Act- stating the laptop isn't fit for purpose.

But how should I go about this? If i take it into Curry's the sale assistants barely know what day of the week it is let alone the workings of the Sale of Goods Act. Do I write to them or email ?

I basically want to get this sorted as soon as possible so i can buy another laptop **cough** Not a Tosh. :D

Any ideas or anyone ever used the Sale of Goods Act to return goods.

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Might be worth just taking it into currys tbh, sure the sales assistant probably wont have a clue about the sale of goods act or computer knowlege or whatever but they will know the refunds policy and chances are they'll either just refund you no questions asked or refer you to the manufacturer in either case they should refund you and if you kick up a big enough fuss (about the time lost?) they may even offer you some kind of compensation.
    Its a big chain store they wont be quibbling over small scale refunds like you'd get in independant shops, good luck mate
  • Options
    Start with taking it into the store.

A lot of the sales assistants are rubbish, but the managers occasionally have brain cells.
  • Options
    and remember Cal that you're likely to get more out of the store if you're nice to them. When i worked in a shop if someone came up to me boiling with rage and snapping at me i'd generally treat them like shit and be no help at all but if a customer treated me with respect and showed manners/understanding i'd be a lot more inclined to help them, even if that involved occasionally straying from company policy to do them a favour.
  • Options
    And next time buy your laptop from John Lewis.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    And next time buy your laptop from John Lewis.

Why?

Icey: advice taken mate. You know me Mr Diplomatic ;)
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    and remember Cal that you're likely to get more out of the store if you're nice to them. When i worked in a shop if someone came up to me boiling with rage and snapping at me i'd generally treat them like shit and be no help at all but if a customer treated me with respect and showed manners/understanding i'd be a lot more inclined to help them, even if that involved occasionally straying from company policy to do them a favour.

yeah definitely! if someone comes up to me with a bad attitude i'll be a dick with them and be as unhelpful as i can, but if someones polite and understanding i'll bend over backwards to help them. but then again you know this cal you do work in customer service too :D
  • Options
    Dixons (now known as Currys Digital) seem to be really good with me returning stuff.

In October 2005, I got a MP3 player from them and six months later returned it, (it was working properly) thinking that they'd just send it off for repair, but they didn't. Instead they let me have another MP3 up to the value of my current one.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Why?

Icey: advice taken mate. You know me Mr Diplomatic ;)

They're a much better company, the staff know what they're talking about, and the aftersales service is excellent and a lot of stuff, including TV's and white goods come with 5 years warranty usually.
    I buy all my electronics from there as they are no more expensive than currys anyway.
  • Options
    They're a much better company, the staff know what they're talking about, and the aftersales service is excellent and a lot of stuff, including TV's and white goods come with 5 years warranty usually.
    I buy all my electronics from there as they are no more expensive than currys anyway.

:chin: i would never have thought of john lewis' for electronical goods.
    but pretty much anywhere would be better than from the dixons group (inc. currys) for quality of service and the like.
  • Options
    I totally second buying one from john lewis, you get a 2 year free guarantee, which was good for me, 15 months in my laptop broke, then it broke again, then it broke a third time 18 months in so they gave me a full refund and I got a new one. I was provided with good loan computers both times too.
  • Options
    Calvin, what was the recurring fault? My workshop has occasionaly had to carry out repeat repairs due to a recurring problem. One example is a failing hard disk which supposedly passes every diagnostic we throw at it. We take precautionary back-up just in case. Three months later, 'boom' it goes. HD replaced. Some faulty RAM can pass Memtest as well. Most difficult problem to recognise is probably graphics where the system will freeze when it goes into a certain display mode or in a certain applications.

I assume that you've formatted the computer at least once?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    :chin: i would never have thought of john lewis' for electronical goods.
    but pretty much anywhere would be better than from the dixons group (inc. currys) for quality of service and the like.

The electronics department takes up almost a whole floor where i live, and each floor is bigger than a branch of Currys. and it's all good quality stuff.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Calvin, what was the recurring fault? My workshop has occasionaly had to carry out repeat repairs due to a recurring problem. One example is a failing hard disk which supposedly passes every diagnostic we throw at it. We take precautionary back-up just in case. Three months later, 'boom' it goes. HD replaced. Some faulty RAM can pass Memtest as well. Most difficult problem to recognise is probably graphics where the system will freeze when it goes into a certain display mode or in a certain applications.

I assume that you've formatted the computer at least once?

Fuck knows, the first time the power lead just started smoking and melted. Then the last 4 times the power stops coming thru to the laptop so the laptop resorts to battery power for 2 hours or so, til that runs out- then im fucked.

So, not to technical :D
  • Options
    The electronics department takes up almost a whole floor where i live, and each floor is bigger than a branch of Currys. and it's all good quality stuff.

next time i need to buy a tv or anything. i'll remember that. :)