Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Alcohol problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First i want to say sorry of i've posted this in the wrong sections.

Basically i have noticed over a period of time a close family member is starting ti drink more, she used to drink before but now its getting worse its like a bottle of vodka could last her a max of two days, n she only drinks in the evening cause she is at work during the day, a bottle of voka in two days, me myself i dont drink so i dont know if i worrying about nothing or if it is becoming a problem.
I feel it is becoming a problem because i think she is becoming dependant on it, say for example for my 18 i'm now 19 my dad got me a little bottle of champs and because i dont drink i never opened it but the other day she asked me if she could have it and she would replace it, i said no at first but the reaction i got i just gave in to be honest i dont even want it replaced cause it will not be the same of you understand what i'm trying to say, because getting it for my birthda not opening it it was just in my room and she now thinks that by replacing it will make it okay but it wont be okay because it wasn't just a bottle of champs to me which she didn seem to understand. I'm reaaly sorry for going on and on but i need some advise please.x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its only a problem if she doesn't have control over her drinking and is using it as a way of coping with problems rather than just for the fun of drinking it. is it EVERY night she drinks 1/2 a bottle? - i mean that does seem a lot but it depends on what her motivations for drinking are. if she does have an alcohol problem then the first thing you need to learn is that you cannot help her unless she is willing to help herself. if she is using it as a way of coping then talking to her and being there for her is a good idea.
  • C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey there,

If your relatives drinking problem is becoming a real concern to you there are a few steps which you can take. You're never going to be able to make someone stop drinking excessively if they don't want to stop, but you can let them know that their drinking is affecting you.

Drinkline has trained counsellors on hand who you can talk to about your relatives problems. Their number is 0800 9178282.

I would also reccomend having a look at our article on living with a drinker.

Hope this helps :thumb: