Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Long Distance - help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Just after any advice on coping strategies when apart from your partner.

I am recently married and blissfully happy in my relationship, but circumstances mean that we are having to spend 7weeks apart, 39days left til we are together again.

Now, obviously our relationship is strong, I trust him 100percent and all the rest of it.

The issue is simply that I miss him like crazy, if I let myself think about over a month left with him on the otherside of the world I think I will explode.

This is the first time we have been apart in the two years we have been together, and we have shared so much, I am just lost without him there to share the everyday with, laugh with, cuddle up with, and everything else.

I am spending the time with my family that are usually on the otherside of the world, so I am been kept busy, but my need to be close to him is making it so tough to really enjoy catching up with people I haven't seen in ages n enjoy myself.

Any coping strategies would be much appreciated!!

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    webcams?
    I'd say just try and absorb yourself in life, go out with friends to the cinema or the pub. Don't just sit in the house thinking how much it sucks that he's away.

Oh, and invest in a bumper pack of batteries. If there's one thing an enforced separation gives you, it's the uncurable horn...
    It can be pretty sucky when I'm nearly 200 miles away from my bloke...but when we are (not at the moment!) we communicate regularly everyday (phone calls, texts, skype, MSN, emails, you get my drift ;)) and we try and meet up every three weeks if possible!

I find socializing helps to keep my mind off missing him. Doesn't stop me being a soft git and missing him though!
    Don't dwell on it. That's the only advice I can give on this issue. Missing them and wanting to be with them is absolutely natural, but constantly thinking about it isn't. Immerse yourself in life as much as you can - the time should fly by!
    if you cant stop thinking about it, set yourself targets to work towards, like dont allow yourself to dwell on it all day, then reward yourself with an extra long phone call to him. dont see it in a huge chunk, break down the time into manageable chunks in you're head and it will be easier.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    dont see it in a huge chunk, break down the time into manageable chunks in you're head and it will be easier.

:yes: absolutely. Breaking it down day by day will seem like it's too long (so avoid counting the days if you can ;) ) But if you try and give yourself something to look forward to week by week - like little milestones - it may well help. So perhaps try and plan something for every weekend for the next five or so weeks - really think about things that might not be possible/more difficult to fit around your time together when your husband gets back - e.g a spa session with some girly mates, a weekend of baking things you've never tried before (can be very time consuming!) gym sessions/aerobics classes - if you don't already do them (will boost your mood as well as improving fitness.)
    Thanks for all the replies, everything said makes perfect sense. Think I was just massively down in the dumps yesterday with it being Christmas and me not being there!