Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Issues With Paymewnt Of Income Support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the end of November, I went to the doctors to ask if I could come off some medication I was on (as it was making me worse) and asked her to look at my neck because it was becoming quite sore. So anyway, she talked to me and then said she'd have to refer me to a physiotherapist as there wasn't really anything she could do.

Anyway, I went back the next week to ask to be signed off as I was in quite alot of pain. She wasn't there so the receptionist dealt with it and asked me to phone up after 2pm the next day. I forgot to do this and went the doctors the next day and asked if it was done and was given the sick note, which was for a week.

I then phoned the DWP to see if I could get income support and they sent me out the paperwork and I checked it, signed it and sent if off.

I got a letter this morning telling me I'm only entitled to 2 days worth of income support, even though my sick note was for 7 days.:confused: There's nothing on the letter to say why this is.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you ring them up and find out why?
  • Options
    You can self certify for the first 5 days (I think), and I don't think that you necessarily get IS for every day you're off, sounds like the first 5 might not be covered.

Ring and check though, or have a look at direct.gov.uk
  • Options
    I haven't self certified at all - my sick note covers from November 30 - December 6.
  • Options
    Sounds like they're assesing you for Statuary Sick Pay (SSP). That's not paid for the first 3 days, not including weekends.

So-

Friday 30th Nov 1st Day sick
    Sat 1st Dec Not counted
    Sun 2nd Dec Not counted
    Mon 3rd Dec 2nd Day sick
    Tues 4th Dec 3rd Day sick
    Thurs 5th and Fri 6th elligible for SSP

We're you working before you were ill ?
  • Options
    She wasn't working IFAIK, but the same rules apply.

But without further information we're just guessing. Ring the DWP benefit enquiry line on 0800 882200.