Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can't buy scissors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got ID'd in a local high street store the other day trying to buy a 49p pair of scissors, is it me or is this beyond a joke? I'm 17 yrs old.

Comments

• Options
    scorpia007 wrote: »
    Got ID'd in a local high street store the other day trying to buy a 49p pair of scissors, is it me or is this beyond a joke? I'm 17 yrs old.

law is the law to do with blades
  • Options
    im being very unhelpful here but, haha :lol:
  • Options
    Old enough to drive a car - not old enough to buy scissors :chin:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    im being very unhelpful here but, haha :lol:

x2 :lol:
  • Options
    scorpia007 wrote: »

Sounds like a cruel joke! rofl.gif
  • Options
    The government needs a reality check. Sympathy goes to Scorpia.

On a seperate note, I still get ID'd for alcohol and I'm TWENTY NINE!!!
  • Options
    law's the law, whilst it may be perfectly obvious that you aren't going to buy the scissors and run out and stab someone, the shopkeeper doesn't know that, and if they get caught selling them to you, they get in trouble. Unfortunately it's the world we live in.

Getting ID'd for booze at 29 is just hilarious lol.
  • Options
    yurp ive been id'ed while buying scissors very recently. and im 20!
    i didnt have any id on me so i had to forgo the scissors completely :impissed:

what made it more annoying tho was that earlier in the day id gone and bought 2 bottles of glue, and about 7 cutting knives/scalpel things for my work and NOT got id'd!
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

My bf gets IDd all the time. He's 31!

I was afraid to buy scissors the other day because I didn't have any ID on me.
  • Options
    Surely they would let you buy these bad boys :D
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    My bf gets IDd all the time. He's 31!.

rofl_lmao.jpg
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Are people who are 17 more likely to go stab somebody with a pair of scissors than people at 30 are? I wouldn't think so...
  • Options
    Ha! Thats so stupid!

Sometimes it's just silly and annoying though.

Not long back I was aksed for ID for a spray deodrant in ASDA, unfortunatley I didn't have it so had to go back and get a roll-on. So annoying :banghead:
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Ha! Thats so stupid!

Sometimes it's just silly and annoying though.

Not long back I was aksed for ID for a spray deodrant in ASDA, unfortunatley I didn't have it so had to go back and get a roll-on. So annoying :banghead:

Perhaps they thought you looked dodgy :p
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    law's the law, whilst it may be perfectly obvious that you aren't going to buy the scissors and run out and stab someone, the shopkeeper doesn't know that, and if they get caught selling them to you, they get in trouble. Unfortunately it's the world we live in.

Law's the law? I didn't know you are required to be a certain age to buy scissors! If he wanted to go out and stab someone, he'd buy a knife, not scissors. If I was the shopkeeper the last thing I'll be thinking about is he wants to buy the scissors to stab someone.

That is the most ridiculous law I've ever heard of before!
  • Options
    Product Age
    Alcohol 18
    Confectionery containing alcohol 16
    Cigarettes and tobacco after 1 October 07 18
    Fireworks including sparklers 18
    Party poppers 16
    Films, DVDs, video and computer games 12, 15, 18 & 18
    Cigarette lighter fuel & refill canisters containing butane 18
    Solvents i,e, glues, marker pens & correction fluid 18
    Lottery tickets & scratch cards 16
    crossbows 18
    Knives 18
    Aerosol paints 16
    Petrol 16

ETA i think scissors come under the same as knives, they do at my work.
  • Options
    Troy wrote: »
    Law's the law? I didn't know you are required to be a certain age to buy scissors! If he wanted to go out and stab someone, he'd buy a knife, not scissors.

... erm not if he can;t get a knife...
    If I was the shopkeeper the last thing I'll be thinking about is he wants to buy the scissors to stab someone.

It probably is, the first thing though wuold be the law preventing him from selling the item...
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Product Age

Petrol 16

I wonder why, you can buy petrol or operate the petrol pump thing, at 16, yet you can't even think about driving til you're 17. Makes no sense, though there's probably a logical reason
  • Options
    What about sparking devices for gas hobs? I got ID'd for one of those early last year, aged 27 * shock *
  • Options
    lol, I'm 17 and I just bought a three pack of scissors, be jealous, be VERY jealous :p
  • Options
    I wonder why, you can buy petrol or operate the petrol pump thing, at 16, yet you can't even think about driving til you're 17. Makes no sense, though there's probably a logical reason

Perhaps to fill up a moped
  • Options
    Perhaps to fill up a moped

Never thought of that, yeah I guess that's true..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wait, are 16-year-olds allowed to by pens? WHY??? You can stab someone with a pen, especially in they eye!
    Are they allowed to buy CDs? Are you crazy???? Do you know how sharp a broken CD can be?
    OH MY GOD, Do you let 16-year-olds buy plastic bags? What if they put them on someone's head and make them suffocate?
    And the most ridiculous thing of all, I heard 16-year-olds can buy computer monitors too. These things are pretty heavy, what if they hit somebody on the head with one?
    Your laws are totally insane...
  • Options
    no one has ever ID'ed me...i feel old....
  • Options
    We do have a overcautious culture, but it's better than a negligent culture. Not that selling scissors to a 17 year old is negligent, of course :p but by making rules that can and are adhered to you create liability / responsibility. Therefore if say a 10 year old bought a combat knife and stabbed someone with it, the shop is responsible and can be held to account. To eliminate the grey, there are blanket descriptions and ages. You are certainly no different at 17 years 364 days to 18 years, but by leaving it to the shops discretion you may and will find that there are things that are sold that shouldn't be.

You either regulate or you don't, there's not really two ways about it. I think creating liability for every action, transaction, object, and so on is a good thing, because the net effect is if something bad happens and it could have been prevented there are clear paths to who is responsible. (unless it's the government, in which case there's normally a whitewash)

There was a 15 year old boy killed near to me by a 17 year old with a hammer. He was charged as a minor and so the responsibility should have fallen onto his parents. Instead, they tried to the blame the computer games industry. But I think it's pretty clear parents are responsible for their kids until they're 18. (unless there are extenuating circumstances)
  • Options
    The only computer game I can think of using a hammer is Donkey Kong :-)
  • Options
    at least you've all been IDed for blades or glue or booze or something reasonable.....i have been IDed for a DVD with a 15 rating!!! Now THAT is sad, and to make it even worse...he would have sold it to my 14 year old sister without IDing her, but i apparently looked younger :rolleyes: