Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radio 1 backs down in Pogues row

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ... and the song isn't.

No, it's about two Irish people going to America in search of the American Dream and not finding it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No, it's about two Irish people going to America in search of the American Dream and not finding it.

Exactly. My gran used to use the word all the time to describe a strange person in the way 'queer' used to be used with no homosexual connotations. I've heard a lot of British OAP's use it in this way.
    Faggot as a derogatory word for gays is an American thing which has only recently become popular in this country.

Kirsty MacColl who sings the lyrics is British and I'm pretty sur in the context of the song 'faggot' isn't meant to refer to anything homosexual.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Maybe they should censor the the title of the song so it reads "Tale of New York" :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think it's a shame if they block it out it's apart of the whole character of the song.
  • Options
    Who seriously gives a crap? If you want really offensive lyrics, have a listen to some of the (silent c)rap records doing the rounds. Women being referred to as "bitches" and "hoes", countless references to violence... I don't see Radio 1 making a song and dance about that.

And if you cast your mind back to 1996, there was a big hoo-hah regarding The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up". Radio 1 didn't ban that! So, songs with videos that show women being beaten senseless are okay, but one song with a derogatory term towards gays isn't? Hmm...
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Maybe they should censor the the title of the song so it reads "Tale of New York" :D

:D
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Kirsty MacColl who sings the lyrics is British and I'm pretty sur in the context of the song 'faggot' isn't meant to refer to anything homosexual.

Bollocks.

'Faggot' in this country is a word very often used in a homophobic and abusive context. I hate the word, I find it offensive and like every gay person I've frequently seen it used as a term of abuse... (On way out of DV8 there always seems to be some twats: fucking queer or fucking faggot are the preferred terms of abuse for such cunts).
  • Options
    Bollocks.

'Faggot' in this country is a word very often used in a homophobic and abusive context. I hate the word, I find it offensive and like every gay person I've frequently seen it used as a term of abuse... (On way out of DV8 there always seems to be some twats: fucking queer or fucking faggot are the preferred terms of abuse for such cunts).

That may be true now, but in 1980's Britain it didn't mean homosexual. It didn't mean homosexual when I was at school in the 90's, and anyone who called someone a faggot got the piss taken out of them for using a stupid, made-up word.
  • Options
    Er, well why write an article about it then?
    Because he's a gay rights campaigner and it's a queer issue. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why the fuck are people getting all high and mighty on Tatchell again?

So far as I see it (and to be honest nobody came up with good reasons to attack hi last time a thread was about him in Russia), the fella has a point.
    But the crunch issue is double-standards. I challenge those who defend the use of the word faggot in these lyrics to state publicly that they would also defend the right of white singers to use the n-word as a term of abuse in a song. They won't and that makes them cowardly homophobic hypocrites.
    I actually really agree with this. It is unacceptable to have a white person say the n-word on the radio, especially as an insult... So why should it be any different for queer insults?
    It is shameful that Radio 1 and other radio and TV stations are willing to play Fairytale of New York with the word faggot included, when they would never tolerate the equivalent racist epithets. It shows they don't take homophobic language as seriously as racist language. We queers are yet again being sent to the back of the bus.
    Again I agree. As has been said earlier in the thread, Chris Moyles saying things are 'gay'... Which might I add a lot of gay people find quite offensive. Or maybe we should change out vocabulary...

"OMFG THE BBC IS TOTALLY BLACK"
    I am gobsmacked. This storm in a teacup makes world headlines, yet Pakistan's massacre of hundreds of civilians in Baluchistan last week has been ignored by the world's media and has provoked no protests at all. The same silence and indifference has greeted the mass arrest and torture of student leaders in Iran this week. Compared to these grave human rights abuses, the fuss over a Christmas pop song seems trivial and obscene.
    He has a point.

I'm quite in to free speech as I've said before. I think there should only be limitations on inciting violence.

The Fairytale of New York doesn't really bother me that much, I'm sure that it doesn't bother a lot of the LGBT community either. But it does bother me that it seems acceptable for some artists to have misogynistic or homophobic lyrics, yet you can't touch upon race and anti-semitism, or Islam. It is hypocritical.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    But it does bother me that it seems acceptable for some artists to have misogynistic or homophobic lyrics, yet you can't touch upon race and anti-semitism, or Islam. It is hypocritical.

Hardly, the n word is censored on daytime Radio 1 and misogynistic or homphobic lyrics are routinely condemned by politicians, activists and even artists.

Unfortunately we live in a society which prefers to promote the banal and/or controversial over thoughtful intellect. Thats certainly the reason why I and many Hip-Hop fans despise with a passion and refuse to listen to Tim Westwood.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    That may be true now, but in 1980's Britain it didn't mean homosexual. It didn't mean homosexual when I was at school in the 90's, and anyone who called someone a faggot got the piss taken out of them for using a stupid, made-up word.

I agree. I was in school in the UK in the 90's, and we had a hell of a lot of insulting words to mean gay, but faggot certainly wasn't one of them. It was something that your grandad would never be able to ge you to eat because it had a funny name.

As always, Wikipedia has the answers:
    Faggot or fag, in modern North American and Australian English usage, is a generally pejorative term for a homosexual or effeminate man. Its use has spread to varying extents elsewhere in the English-speaking world.

The terms are little used in this meaning in British English, where "faggot" traditionally means a bundle of sticks and faggots are a kind of meatball, while "fag" is common slang for a cigarette and can also refer to the now outdated English "public school" practice of "fagging" where a younger boy acted as an unpaid servant for an older boy.

So there.
  • Options
    It's all baout context isn't it. They're two people insulting each other and saying words like 'rotter' wouldn't fit very well would it...

same with the word 'nigger' I don't run screaming from the room when it's used by Tarantino or slam the book shut when Flashman uses the word. I wouldn't use it day to day situations - but its clearly getting a bit silly if you can't use when entertainers can't use the word in an appropriate setting.
  • Options
    It is extraordinary that 'A Fairytale Of New York' has apparently been this ticking timebomb for two decades. Why did it's lyrics go unchallenged when it first came out (no pun intended)? Perhaps because The Pogues were the darlings of the left-wing intelligentsia of the time, and everyone was prepared to see it as irony? Or because Kirsty MacColl sang the word in question and she couldn't possible mean it? it had to be just the characters of the song talking.

The question of whether use of 'nigger' would be tolerated in similar circumstances is an interesting one. I recall the bit in 'Blazing Saddles' where an old man tries to tell the townsfolk that 'The Sheriff is a ni...' being quite funny, likewise the old lady's 'Up yours, nigger!' Not for viewing by children of course, but there were obviously a fair few people, including me, prepared to defend Emily's use of the word on 'Big Brother' this year. Intent to offend, rather than entertain in an adult context, matters, I think. If kids heard the Pogues' song, found out what a 'faggot' was, and used it to taunt other children, that would be a bad thing. Sadly, all too possible, but twenty years is a long time to wait to consider that possiblity.
  • Options
    I don't think there was ever much outrage about Dire Straits, Money for Nothing being edited...
  • Options
    Yep, because they caught that one in time. Still questionable whether the song was more likely to be offensive to homosexuals or men who move microwave ovens and colour TVs ('loaders'?), by labelling them homophobic. And I don't think the 'chimpanzee' reference was racist, personally. Anyone can bang on the drums 'like a chimpanzee'...
  • Options
    Namaste-it's all about context though, a white person can say "nigger" all he wants as long as they aren't using it as an abusive tool towards black people. The use of the word "faggot" in this song is not used a term of offence against homosexuals, therefore is acceptable in my book.
  • Options
    It is meant as an insult. It is a homophobic term of abuse. There's really no argument about that.

There are a lot of people on here who get upset at the use of "pikey" as an insult and it is exactly the same point. I don't think words like that should be being used, but I don't think its too offensive in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think the song should have been edited as it is 20 years old. Otherwise should we edit every piece of literature printed before about 1930? Most Victorian books use the n-word or "wog" to describe black people. There has to be a line somewhere.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It is meant as an insult. It is a homophobic term of abuse. There's really no argument about that.

But there is. It hasn't long been offensive slang in this country. Ask any old dear what faggot means or at least used to mean to them and they'll say it has nothing to do with homosexuals. The words very old, and in the scheme of things it's only recently developed this new meaning. Same with 'gay' and 'queer' - words that used to have nothing to do with homosexuality.

If this had been a song recentyl written then yes it woudl be worth all this fuss, but it was written 20 years ago and probably wasn't meant in the way you think it was.
    Kermit wrote: »
    There are a lot of people on here who get upset at the use of "pikey" as an insult and it is exactly the same point.

Quite different. Pikey has ALWAYS been a derogatory racial insult.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Again I agree. As has been said earlier in the thread, Chris Moyles saying things are 'gay'... Which might I add a lot of gay people find quite offensive. Or maybe we should change out vocabulary...

Well I think they're being a touch sensitive then. It wasn't long ago thaxt gay meant something very different. Language evolves.

The word gay has gone form meaning happy to homosexual in a very short space of time and it looks like it's increasingly being used by the younger generation in place of the word 'bad' or 'crap' without meaning any offense to homosexuals.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well I think they're being a touch sensitive then. It wasn't long ago thaxt gay meant something very different. Language evolves.

The word gay has gone form meaning happy to homosexual in a very short space of time and it looks like it's increasingly being used by the younger generation in place of the word 'bad' or 'crap' without meaning any offense to homosexuals.
    It's easy to say people are being over-sensitive, but you really cannot empathise with how people feel unless you walk in their shoes. Homophobia is frightening and unpleasant to experience, you can't tell a gay person who has experienced this that language simply evolves when people are using the name they refer to their sexuality as to mean 'crap'.

To be honest, I don't see it as any coincidence that the term 'gay' has come to mean something negative, it blatantly has roots with homophobia even if most people who use it are too ignorant (and inarticulate) to realise that.

I doubt Chris Moyles would be allowed to say "this is totally black", or "this is Jewish" would you? Meh I dunno... His show annoys me so I'm not up to date on it.
  • Options
    Namaste-it's all about context though, a white person can say "nigger" all he wants as long as they aren't using it as an abusive tool towards black people. The use of the word "faggot" in this song is not used a term of offence against homosexuals, therefore is acceptable in my book.
    Well she's insulting him by calling him a 'faggot'... I mean why insult him by calling him gay? Of course it's homophobic language and will probably annoy some people.

I don't think the song should be edited, it doesn't really bother me. If he had called her a 'dyke' in the lyrics though, maybe I'd feel different.
  • Options
    Homophobia is frightening and unpleasant to experience, you can't tell a gay person who has experienced this that language simply evolves when people are using the name they refer to their sexuality as to mean 'crap'.

It also means 'happy'. Homosexuals havn't got a monopoly on the word ffs.
    To be honest, I don't see it as any coincidence that the term 'gay' has come to mean something negative, it blatantly has roots with homophobia even if most people who use it are too ignorant (and inarticulate) to realise that.

Almost certainly it is has negative roots, but's it started to evolve beyond that to a point where many kids are using the term with no negative connotations.
    The words 'gay', 'queer' and 'faggot' all meant very different things nt so very long ago. Seems the meaning of gay is changing again.
    I doubt Chris Moyles would be allowed to say "this is totally black", or "this is Jewish" would you? Meh I dunno... His show annoys me so I'm not up to date on it.

And? "This is totally black", or "this is Jewish" are not popular terms amognst young people are they? As I said it's taken on a different meaning.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well she's insulting him by calling him a 'faggot'... I mean why insult him by calling him gay? Of course it's homophobic language and will probably annoy some people.

Is it though. I asked my old man earlier on he can quite clearly remember people reffering to somebody strange as a 'funny old old faggot' when he was younger, without any connection to homosexuality. I remember my gran using it all the time like this.
    Infact if you look at the lyrics, if MacColl did mean it as a gay insult it doesn't really fit. I've never thought of it that way until the BBC censored it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

How do you know the word "faggot" in the song is a reference to homosexuals? The very fact that even now, it doesn't always mean "gay" and even less so in olden days, how are you so sure? And Skive is right, language is constantly evolving, words may have one meaning one moment, and another the next. You're so up yourself sometimes it's unreal.
  • Options
    It also means 'happy'. Homosexuals havn't got a monopoly on the word ffs.
    So? It evolved to mean homosexual and from that came the useage to mean crap. I'm not saying gay people have a monopoly over it, but that the use we're talking about undoubtedly has homophobic roots.
    Almost certainly it is has negative roots, but's it started to evolve beyond that to a point where many kids are using the term with no negative connotations.
    The words 'gay', 'queer' and 'faggot' all meant very different things nt so very long ago. Seems the meaning of gay is changing again.
    I view this as naive I'm sorry. I definately think it has homophobic roots and whilst people who don't hate gay people use it without thinking, you can't deny that a lot of people do. It makes some people feel uncomfortable because of what it means and because of the connotations.

Kids use a lot of words anyway... To a kid, "spastic" is not offensive.
    And? "This is totally black", or "this is Jewish" are not popular terms amognst young people are they? As I said it's taken on a different meaning.
    I know people who say that things are Jewish and that people are 'Jews'. That could be taken as offensive by Jewish people.
  • Options
    Is it though. I asked my old man earlier on he can quite clearly remember people reffering to somebody strange as a 'funny old old faggot' when he was younger, without any connection to homosexuality. I remember my gran using it all the time like this.
    Infact if you look at the lyrics, if MacColl did mean it as a gay insult it doesn't really fit. I've never thought of it that way until the BBC censored it.
    If it isn't to mean 'gay' fair enough, but I've never heard it used in my life for anything other than homophobic abuse.

I can see why gay men may take offence by it.
  • Options
    You're so up yourself sometimes it's unreal.
    Oh please... 'Up myself'?

This is 'politics and debate' not 'politics and hissy fits'.

I'm simply debating my point of view and empathising with people who have experienced homophobia (because I can) who may take offence to the song. I'm not calling for a ban on it at all.

Just because we don't always think the same way Turlough, does not mean that you have to lower yourself (and the tone) to bitchy little snipes on internet forums.
  • Options
    I'm sick of hearing people tell me what i can and can't listen to; what i should, shouldn't, can and can't get offended by.

I reserve the right to hear this stuff. It's the same debate as the BNP being allowed to speak at the Oxford - people wanting to dictate what i can and can't hear.