Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im applying for a scholarship to my uni bc i cant afford it.

it sucks. it annoys me when people just doss their way through college and get their parents to fund their uni stuff.

and another thing that drives me insane, is the fact that there is corruption in the top unis. i cannot believe that pembroke college at oxford was gonna let someone have a place if they paid x amount of money. that makes me sick. there are hard working people out there who deserve it way more than those people.

sorry this is jsut a bit of a rant. i am a bit bitter atm.

im going to warwick (if i get the scholarship) and i was reading another post about snobbery and i am worried that i am going to get that there bc it is another top uni. i hope it will be ok!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Good luck.

I see what you are saying but do you not think that if your parents pay for you, then you feel a responsibility to do well so the money is not wasted?
  • Options
    yea i spose but what if u have so much money then its not an issue. im afraid theyre the sort of people that im going to be associating with.

im worried im gonna get looked down on like pond scum bc im on a scholarship.
  • Options
    Don't worry. I couldn't get a scholarship because of the type of course I am on, and my dad earns about 50p too much so they have to pay £360 a year tuition fees even though I get full loan entitlement.

However, they can't actually afford to pay that at all, so I have to pay it out of my student loan, as well as pay £90 a week to live in college (because you have too according to their shitty rules).

Anyway, I agree whole heartedly with wht you're saying. Most of the people in college get their daddy's to pay for everything, and their student loan cheques are just small change to them. Whilst I have to work all the hours god sends, at the expense of my course, just to be able to afford to stay there.

There's no justice in this world. But remember, it will be worth it at the end of the day. Just think how proud you can be of yourself!
  • Options
    i have to say i fully agree with you. ive just finished my first year at uni and had to work part time just to survive, even though i was on a very intense course (over30 hours a week) and my flat mate really annoyed me she kept going on about how skint she was and that she couldn't afford the phone bill, when her 'daddy' paid all her tuition fees and her rent for her and most of her new clothes so her, she didn't get a job even though she was only at uni for 7-8 hours a week and she watched me struggle and then complain to me about being tired and skint!!! we did not get on very well as you can imagine as she just annoyed me, all her loan was spent on beer, a PS2 and various other nice things while mine was on rent and paying the bill, and all because daddy paid!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    as well as pay £90 a week to live in college (because you have too according to their shitty rules).

:eek: I thought my uni flat (on campus) was expensive! Is that catered though? mine works out at £2000 for 37 weeks, but they aren't catered.
  • Options
    it's so true

it's so true and it makes me mad. i guess i was really naive when i came to uni (last year) i thought - oh yeah, all students are poor, everyone will be stuggling. how wrong was i! well i'm doing a medical degree so that probably affects it too but it just winds me up that we have lectures 9-5pm EVERY DAY (except weds afternoon)then I have to work a 10-hour day on Saturday (oh yes 7am-5pm in a shop is fun fun fun) and when i come out of it with a worse degree than everyone else here everyone will just reckon i'm dumb. and over half the people here come from private school, which winds me up too. how can that be representative of the population??? anyway gonna stop ranting now (btw sorry to any1 who's rich who i've just offended)
  • Options
    Look. noone's going to look down on you as 'pond scum' because you've got a scholarship: anyone who does isn't worth bothering with. If anything you'll be respected more because of it.
    There's as much inverted snobbery as there is snobbery and I think people make too much of both. Friends of mine at state schools think posh people are going to treat them like shit and think they're stupid because they aren't as rich: on the other hand, loads of people at my public school think that they'll be discriminated against as well. I don't reckon many people care either way, to be honest, although a friend of mine did get asked at interview why someone who'd had such an easy life as she had deserved a place. Why have a chip on your shoulder about it? just treat people as individuals and ignore how much fucking money they have. It couldn't matter less. WHat are you meant to do if your parents pay your fees for you? seriously, would you reject it and work your way through yourself? Much better to work hard and get a degree which at least justifies their help. Of course it sucks if someone complains about how hardup they are in that situation - but you shouldn't judge everyone because of one person. And no, it isn't representative when half of students come from public schools, but it's pretty representative of the people who apply, and the unis can't give people a place if they don't want to go there.
  • Options
    yeah that may be part of it but it's also true that people at private schools do better in exams so are more likely to get into top unis. this may be because you're just amazingly more brainy than the rest of us, or might have something to do with the fact that there tends to be smaller classes, better teachers and equipment etc and individual preparation for interviews
    a friend of mine who is at private school (yes it's true, i don't hate all posh people) got asked at interview whether she thought you should have to get higher grades to get in if you came from private school. i don't know what i think but it's an interesting question methinks.... what does every1 else think???
  • Options
    there's no question about whether it's unfair. Of course it is. I feel pretty uncomfortable about that. BUT. Would it make any difference if every private school pupil opted out and went state instead? no. And I believe there should be a legal right for parents to choose. So the best thing to do is try and get the best out of the opportunities you get, and try not to be a wanker.
    Hopefully universities judge on your potential to learn rather than your grades alone - that way its at least a little more balanced, though clearly the existence of an environment conducive to learning will make you more enthusiastic about it in future etc.etc.
    I don't know. It's hard not to feel like a c unt when you're at private school, because you're being innately hypocritical if you think the divide sucks but continue to let your parents pay thousands each year to give you a head start. It sucks. there's another argument that teh existence of highly academic private schools with small classes and good teachers etc. is actually ogod for everyone because it nurtures talented people which can only be good for society. that would be more convincing if there was a link between parental wealth and a child's intelligence!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bella Tweenies
    a friend of mine who is at private school (yes it's true, i don't hate all posh people) got asked at interview whether she thought you should have to get higher grades to get in if you came from private school. i don't know what i think but it's an interesting question methinks.... what does every1 else think???

No, NO, and NO

Academic institutions select on the basis of grades. That's it. End of.

When you start to introduce a bias to weight your applications to be politically correct, then you're being foolish and corrupting the system. Many comprehensive school children, let's face it, should not be at universities, but are, because of political motivation, the creation of universities and degree courses that shouldn't be, and because of the anticipated social life.

That, IMHO, is wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Many comprehensive school children, let's face it, should not be at universities, but are, because of political motivation, the creation of universities and degree courses that shouldn't be, and because of the anticipated social life.

That, IMHO, is wrong.

just wondering if i'm included in that?
    speaking as someone who can't actually wait to get through the next four years so i can leave uni, precisely because all the people around me are exactly as you describe - just in it for a laugh really. are they from comprehensives? no, they're the ones i was complaining about in the first place, daddy's little darlings who are here because they are "expected" to go to uni. personally i'm here coz i want to get a degree. end of story
  • Options

just wondering if i'm included in that?
    speaking as someone who can't actually wait to get through the next four years so i can leave uni, precisely because all the people around me are exactly as you describe - just in it for a laugh really. are they from comprehensives? no, they're the ones i was complaining about in the first place, daddy's little darlings who are here because they are "expected" to go to uni. personally i'm here coz i want to get a degree. end of story

Medicine is different. Daddy's girls won't get in to med. school, since it requires some degree of commitment. If they are in other subjects, fine, but I would doubt them being medics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Medicine is different. Daddy's girls won't get in to med. school, since it requires some degree of commitment. If they are in other subjects, fine, but I would doubt them being medics.

i'd challenge you on that one. you should come round and see some of the idiots here. mind you, i'm conforting myself with the fact that they'll probably fail the year and get chucked out seeing as they never go to any lectures
  • Options
    i'd challenge you on that one. you should come round and see some of the idiots here. mind you, i'm conforting myself with the fact that they'll probably fail the year and get chucked out seeing as they never go to any lectures
    You're making sweeping generalisations here Bella.

Yes some privately educated students have an arrogance about them, but there are plenty that are totally down-to-earth. Just in the same way that there are plenty of state educated students who couldn't care less about lectures.

And as a fellow medic, I must say that in my experience, there are equal numbers of each.
  • Options
    for fuck's sake. I'll tell you one thing: it isn't true in real life, but on this site there's way more inverted snobbery than snobbery. Bella, your generalisations would be totally unacceptable if they were about any other group, but are somehow ok if they're about 'daddy's little darlings.' Imagine if someone said university students from state schools were less likely to work hard because of their background. Rightly, you'd be totally outraged. But that's exactly what you just did, except the other way round. generally, that's known as discrimination.
  • Options
    i don't remember saying anywhere that all private school kids are "daddy's little darlings" i'm just talking about the ones who are. to hell with it, i'm not even just talking about private school kids a lot of the middle class state school kids here are just the same. it's got fuck all to do with what school you went to and everything to do with how hard you want to work. the people who piss me off are the ones who club it up til the small hours then come back pissed and wake the rest of us up who actually want to go to lectures the next day. and yes, i know i'm prejudiced. i'm sorry and i'll change my views when i meet someone who can persaude me to. btw if you're into snobbery, take a look at some of DJPs comments about us state school scum
  • Options
    I disagree with DJP entirely, but that doesn't make you any more right. If you're admitting you're prejudiced and that you'll change your mind when you meet 'someone who can persuade you to'- well, you clearly do have a thing against posh people, or whichever specific group it is you have a problem with, in general, and that's just fucking silly. Surely if you're at any big uni you must know loads of people from all kinds of backgrounds who are nice and work hard and so on. Everyone I know at uni, bar a couple of wankers, have a pretty wide mix of friends: are you at the one place in the country where this isn't true?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    Everyone I know at uni, bar a couple of wankers, have a pretty wide mix of friends: are you at the one place in the country where this isn't true?

quite possibly yes
    but anyway can we just call a truce? sorry i'm being a bitch, i'm in a lousy mood coz i have no mates here and taking it out on you, sorry.
    x bella x
  • Options
    Unless I am terribly mistaken- DJP went to a state school himself :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hmmm well he was actually complaining about "comprehensive" kids so maybe we're getting into the old grammar schools debate. should be fun.
  • Options
    I went to a grammar school- do you have a problem with that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I went to a grammar school- do you have a problem with that?

not at all. so did i.
  • Options
    Ok fair enough, I thought you were going to bite my head off then. People can say what they like about grammar schools, but at least their intake is based on intelligence (so far as that can be measured by tests at the age of 10/11) and not money/social status.
  • Options
    very true. they aren't half a good thing if you've got a brain and nothing to do with it. if i'd have gone to a comprehensive i'd have been too damn lazy to do any work - i needed pushing and i got it. plus the school i went to really was diverse in social status, ethnic origin, interests etc and i made the best friends ever there.
    btw i'm quite a nice person really, i just have a bee in my bonnet about rich people, but i'm trying hard to get rid of it so bear with me!
    bella xxx
  • Options
    Yes you do get pushed harder in a grammar school but also (in mine anyway) you are made to feel "thick" if you get B's as opposed to A*'s all the time which is so wrong. So many girls at my school had a right complex and cried :rolleyes: if they got a bad mark. There is such thing as pushing someone too far.
  • Options
    you're very right. i think it can come from many sources though, not just school. i know people whose parents are constantly breathing down their necks, always needing to know their marks etc and dissaproving if they do badly. i'm lucky that my mum has never mentioned exams results or anything like that to me so any pressure i'm under is coming straight from me. it's a lot healthier that way, methinks.
  • Options
    Re: Uni stuff
    Originally posted by Drifter
    im applying for a scholarship to my uni bc i cant afford it.

it sucks. it annoys me when people just doss their way through college and get their parents to fund their uni stuff.

and another thing that drives me insane, is the fact that there is corruption in the top unis. i cannot believe that pembroke college at oxford was gonna let someone have a place if they paid x amount of money. that makes me sick. there are hard working people out there who deserve it way more than those people.

sorry this is jsut a bit of a rant. i am a bit bitter atm.

im going to warwick (if i get the scholarship) and i was reading another post about snobbery and i am worried that i am going to get that there bc it is another top uni. i hope it will be ok!

Cant you get some financial support from the LEA?
  • Options
    No matter what school people went to, no matter what socio-economic bracket they fall into, people will still have worked for their grades to get into uni. The main difference (and i'm generalising here), is that the parents that can afford to get their children into private schools/grammar schools/better state schools (like CTC's), are generally the ones that push their children harder to do well. I go to a good state school (a city technology college funded by a board of Haberdashers), and the idea that someone might not want to go to uni is unthinkable - we are conditioned by the school (and this happens in private schools too) to think that uni is our ultimate goal. I know that my parents put a lot of pressure on me to achieve (which would relate back to Pussykattys comment about people crying when they got bad grades) and i know a lot of other people that are under a lot of pressure too. It's not that most state schools don't want people to go to uni, they just don't expect it of you, and those people who do go to schools that expect it from you (and are therefore more likely to end up in a university) do tend to come from families higher up on the socio-economic scale.
    Also, to do with the 'daddy's girls' that are out all night clubbing - this is probably the first time they are out, away from the pressure from their parents to achieve, and instead of carrying that on, they will have buckled back - if there's noone around to tell them they have to work, they won't because they're not used to doing it under their own steam/out of their own wants.
  • Options
    btw if you're into snobbery, take a look at some of DJPs comments about us state school scum

Well, thank you for your informed and unbiased decision making. I particularly like how you take no notice of what I've said, and pay attention to emotive descriptors. I wish you well with your studies.

Just for your information, the world didn't give me anything. My parents have 5 O-levels between them. I took an exam for grammar school on an offchance, and was lucky to get it. For eight years now, I have worked as hard as I can to get where I am. I am proud of where I come from, and what I do, and where I am now. But most of all, I am proud to say that "I got here". I didn't get it because of Daddy, or a £300,000 payment (Pembroke have since clarified, and it won't happen).

I'm not rich, and I will have to work throughout summer to fund my studies. I can't work during term time, not only is there not enough time, but it's not allowed by the College.

You have a hang up about upper class, or rich people? That's a vast generalisation. Some of my good friends are privately educated, very wealthy, and some of the best people you could possibly wish to meet.

I would recommend that you make a complete examination of all the facts before you rush in to a diagnosis and apply treatment, Doctor.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KT:
    but at least their intake is based on intelligence
    My dad works at a grammar school, a small monkey could pass their entrance exams......