Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Driving License Revoke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I had my driving license revoked for a period of time due to medical reasons would I be obliged to re-do my driving test at the time?

I'm thinking of pushing to get it revoked and believe I may be able to as I read the DVLA criteria (http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical/ataglance.aspx) but I want to know what I'm getting myself into first!

I've not driven for a number of years but I do hold a full drivers license. I only use it as ID and am unlikely to drive for years anyway.

The reason I would want to do this is that I currently hold a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass (for free use of public transport in London) when it expires next year I won't be able to re-new it as the criterion to qualify have changed. If I had my drivers license revoked I would qualify.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I only use it as ID and am unlikely to drive for years anyway.

It's probably worth getting it revoked anyway then.
    I have no idea whether the law has changed in the last few years, but I'm sure my dad didn't have to re-do his test. Although the DVLA were trying to not give him his licence back and were saying things like 'you'll have another fit' (despite being on medication), :rolleyes: which wasn't true at all.
    What is the benefit of getting it revoked?
    Mist wrote: »
    What is the benefit of getting it revoked?

If I can get it revoked I would continue to qualify for a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass which gives me free travel by tubes, buses, trains and trams across all of London. At the moment I qualify because I receive DLA mobility component which in my area was enough to automatically qualify you but now the rules are changing, I'd need an enhanced CPA (mine is standard, not enhanced) or my license revoked to qualify.

I don't have a car and I'm sensible enough to know it wouldn't be safe for me to drive these days but I would need this formally recognised by a doctor to get the Freedom Pass next year.
    Ok that sounds reasonable.

I do not know the answer but I would not be particularly suprised if you did have to take another test.
    I'd ring the DVLA and ask them :)