Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Power of Attorney

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Need some advice, we've spoken to a solicitor briefly but perhaps some of you might be able to flag something up.

My dad's currently in hospital and dying of cancer, and he wants to go home. We're looking into marie curie/social services home care, but we may need to go to private nursing to find it. if anyone has any specific info about this other than what i've managed to find on google, please feel free to let me know.

The main problem however is finance. We've not set up a power of attorney, and don't think that my dad has set up any sort of finance situation that means we can pay for private nursing etc. can anyone flag up anything that could help us in this situation? we're planning on asking CAB as soon as we can get in contact with them.

we're looking at 3-4 weeks of care, and a power of attorney can possibly take up to 6 weeks to sort out. so yeah...any help appreciated. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Power of Attorney

Hi Queenmab_roo
    Sorry for your sadness.
    Your solicitor is not being helpful. A general Power of Attorney is a simple form and would take only seconds to complete! However, a Lasting Power of Attorney is more complicated but only because they've just recently been introduced.
    You will need to have a Lasting Power of Attorney to act when Dad is less able but a general Power of Attorney would help immediately, I think.
    If you haven't already, try www.freeguard.co.uk for links to free Power of Attorney forms.
    Best wishes