Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

spermicide condom worries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What kind of condoms do you use and do they have spermicide on them. I've just read http://stopn9condoms.com/ and am thinking hmmmn.

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure how genuine this website is. It mentions the fda which is a USA government body so doesn't count over here. If you check it has the british standard kite mark, they should be good to use. You could look at this link for loads of info on safe sex, www.condomessentialwear.co.uk
    hope this helps

xx
  • Options
    I fail to see how wearing those condoms make you MORE likely to catch an STI??:confused:
  • Options
    I'm guessing its something to do with the stripping away of inside surfaces of the body making it easier to infect? Like open wounds are easier to infect than non-wounded skin or something.
  • Options
    I know they changed one of the spermicides that gets used on UK condoms fairly recently. Wonder if that was related at all.

Can't remember what or what, but they stopped using the one I reacted to.
  • Options
    patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    I dug up this article on the BBC about this lubricant, nonoxynol-9 (N-9) that the website campaigning against. Seems it's an issue that dates back to 2004.

I found this advice from the fpa on an NHS research website on using spermicide. Hope this helps.

Do I need to use spermicide?

No. If used correctly, condoms are an effective method of contraception and you do not need additional spermicide.

Some male condoms are lubricated with spermicide, a chemical that kills sperm.

These types of condom are being phased out as research has shown that the spermicide Nonoxinol 9 does not protect against sexually transmitted infections such as chlamydia and HIV and may even increase the risk of infection. If you can, avoid using spermicidally lubricated condoms and don't use additional spermicide as a lubricant.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Not having a condom never stoped me but there you go.

You seem very proud of this fact....
    This is about the 4th post I've read that delightfull fact in. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HAHA what a stupid article. I can safely say I've used condoms that have spermicide on them. In fact the Durex super safe ones have spermicide on them and ive never had any problems :\