Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smoking tobacco

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of smoking occasionally as it can be a nice thing to do and I would like to be less uptight. There is no need to lecture me about addiction because I have tried smoking before and have never fallen into that cycle.

1) What would you say is the best way to smoke? Cigarettes, cigar or a pipe?

2) Any particular brands you recommend? I am looking for something that I can get the most out of?

3) Is it that really that bad for your health? Would you say it's worse or better than drinking? Obviously the warnings are offputting but don't they apply to heavy smoking?

4) Arguments to use when talking to people who disapprove of smoking?

5) Ideas for smoking without it affecting anyone else?
«1

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it is worse for you than drinking if you are doing both in moderation.

    And just don't bother, You may think it will help you relax but chances are you'll end up becoming more uptight.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not going to bother going about starting smoking as it looks like you've made your mind up.

    1- cigs.

    2- people like all different sorts of cigarettes, i prefer mayfair dark and regal filter

    3- yes it is bad for your health. full stop.

    4- there's nothing really beneficial about smoking, just say really it's my own choice

    5- smoke on your own outside away from others

    Good luck and no matter what you say you will fall into the trap and end up addicted to cigs, everyone thinks at the start that they won't get addicted but trust me you will and then you'll wish you had have listened to those who told you not to smoke..

    I wish i had have listened to my mother 8 years ago.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1) What would you say is the best way to smoke? Cigarettes, cigar or a pipe?

    Cigarettes. Unless your old or posh you just look stupid smoking cigars or pipes.
    2) Any particular brands you recommend? I am looking for something that I can get the most out of?

    Marlboro. They will rip your lungs up quicker than anything else.
    3) Is it that really that bad for your health? Would you say it's worse or better than drinking? Obviously the warnings are offputting but don't they apply to heavy smoking?

    Probably worse than drinking, but we all take risks everyday. The risk of smoking are well known, so its up to you.
    4) Arguments to use when talking to people who disapprove of smoking?

    Mind your own fucking business.
    5) Ideas for smoking without it affecting anyone else?

    Smoke outside or just make friends with other smokers.

    :thumb:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Same as what Calvin said, except I usually smoke Golden Virginia rollies or Lucky Strike straights.

    Having said that, I don't smoke anymore unless I'm pissed.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The long term risks of smoking are indeed nasty, but there is some evidence that if you stop before you are in your late 20's the long term risks to your health arent likely to be significant. But then you are playing with probabilities and risks, which when it comes to your health isnt always a wise thing to do.

    I used to enjoy Camels, largely because they packed a punch.

    In short though, smoking wont make you any cooler, any more chilled out, or any different really other than you will smell nasty, be poorer and if you get addicted your health will be crap.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im quite a heavy smoker of roll ups.. but i rekon i could give up instantly and compleely if i wanted to. but i never do, so im probably addicted like everyone else.

    i enjoy it. but wouldn't recomend getting into it because EVERY little fuckin cigarette damages YOUR body. i've probably smoked hundreds of thousands by now. i believe i may well be immune. health risks arn't that bad for me, watch out for your tounge though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1) What would you say is the best way to smoke? Cigarettes, cigar or a pipe? I smoke rollies these days, mostly because I'm skint but I usually smoke fegs. Find them more enjoyable and less harsh on your throat the next day.

    2) Any particular brands you recommend? I am looking for something that I can get the most out of? Golden Virginia for rollies and L&B for fegs.

    3) Is it that really that bad for your health? Would you say it's worse or better than drinking? Obviously the warnings are offputting but don't they apply to heavy smoking? Yes.

    4) Arguments to use when talking to people who disapprove of smoking? It's big and it's clever. :D

    5) Ideas for smoking without it affecting anyone else? Yeh, outside with no one about.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shogun: I am a believer in challenges. The fact that people tell me I will get addicted to something makes me want to do the said thing even more. It is not the first time I've tried tobacco: I tried my first cigarette in November 2002, which was a Marlboro. I did [/I]nearly get into smoking but would have only done so during college breaks owing to boredom. Since then.. odd smoke at parties (just one or two cigarettes), one pack of Mayfair in June 2007, one pack of Lambert & Butler in September 2007. If that seems like an addiction problem, let me know...

    Calvin: I would prefer not to have my lungs ripped up, and Marlboro is not to my taste. Thanks for the rest of the advice though. Any particular reasons why smoking is worse than drinking?

    Jarvey of Suburbia: Can you provide any evidence you support the fact that smoking in moderation is worse than drinking in moderation? (Or drinking heavily for that matter?) Are there are any better ways to relax?

    I don't mean to seem too probing, I am just interested in how this anti-tobacco bubble has come about as it seems a bit artificial to me. I agree that passive smoking is a big, big, problem but I can't help thinking the balance in favour between alcohol and tobacco, is a bit, well, imbalanced.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »
    Calvin: I would prefer not to have my lungs ripped up, and Marlboro is not to my taste. Thanks for the rest of the advice though. Any particular reasons why smoking is worse than drinking?

    Go for molly lights then or lucky strikes :thumb:

    Smoking doesn't give you as much pleasure as drinking. Drinking a lot is bad for you however you dont have to be a big smoker to suffer the consequences.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I've done my fair share of drug and still to this day there's nothing I regret more than smoking. Deadly and pointless.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Smoking stimulates your CNS... it doesn't make you relax, that's a placebo.

    I never thought I would become addicted to smoking, I just decided to smoke down the pub occasionally but it creeps up on you...
    I smoked for about 7-8 years and I was on about 20 a day. I gave up about 9 months ago now and I'm so glad I did!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go for the luckies my friend, silver ones. my fave fags of all time, cant get them in all shops up here so if not i get L+B.

    if anyone confronts you about smoking just tell them to get bent, what business of theirs is it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go for the luckies my friend, silver ones.
    the silver ones are like smoking fresh air :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    I've done my fair share of drug and still to this day there's nothing I regret more than smoking. Deadly and pointless.

    Well since I have been told it is a bad idea to do the illegal stuff, I find that rather interesting. It makes you think about the system of laws we have in this country. Which drugs have you done and which do you like/dislike the most?

    Love the reference to that scene in Human Traffic. There are so many families like that!

    Bought some Silk Cut recently, said I was going to have no more than three yesterday, in the end I had just two! Personally, I think it does relax you, but it is quite hard on your throat. The idea that occasional smoking is riskier than heavy drinking sounds quite scary. I think tobacco would be good if it weren't for all the chemicals they put in it to make it addictive (note that some lagers are filled with addictive chemicals as well). Feel a bit guilty now that my money has probably gone to some fat cat director who makes their money off people's suffering, but remember that if you buy Carling or cocaine it can be much the same. It is also very suspicious that the Blair government accepted a large bribe off Bernie Ecclestone to bring back tobacco advertising to motor racing (having banned it), have not actually made tobacco illegal, but are very keen to tell us not to smoke. I don't trust this government for various reasons.

    To be honest though, I don't know a lot about the tobacco industry. I would appreciate any information on this.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually, another thing I'd like to know is why do people feel more comfortable smoking cannabis than tobacco?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »
    To be honest though, I don't know a lot about the tobacco industry. I would appreciate any information on this.

    thats where google is your friend :)
    WLH wrote: »
    why do people feel more comfortable smoking cannabis than tobacco?
    depends what you mean by 'comfortable'. the effect of cannabis is very relaxing. but i wouldn't feel 'comfortable' standing in a busy public place smoking some weed :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    also i suppose because cannabis isn't very harmful for you where as tobacco obviously is
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    thats where google is your friend :)


    depends what you mean by 'comfortable'. the effect of cannabis is very relaxing. but i wouldn't feel 'comfortable' standing in a busy public place smoking some weed :p

    Ok, I'll do a search then.

    What I mean by 'comfortable' is people not being scared of what the said substance will do to them, in this case cannabis.

    I do find it odd that a spliff, generally, has been shown to be three times riskier than tobacco but people are more comfortable with it. As far as I know, it doesn't tend to be laced with other drugs though, so the law doesn't usually matter in this case.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »
    I do find it odd that a spliff, generally, has been shown to be three times riskier than tobacco but people are more comfortable with it. As far as I know, it doesn't tend to be laced with other drugs though, so the law doesn't usually matter in this case.

    ''riskier'' how?
    weed isn't cut no but can occasionally be cut with a filler powder but its so rare as to hardly be worth mentionning
    but its still an illegal drug even though its only a class c drug
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    ''riskier'' how?
    weed isn't cut no but can occasionally be cut with a filler powder but its so rare as to hardly be worth mentionning
    but its still an illegal drug even though its only a class c drug

    It's supposed to be worse for your health than tobacco. I read this a while ago though, so the thinking may have changed.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    ''riskier'' how?
    weed isn't cut no but can occasionally be cut with a filler powder but its so rare as to hardly be worth mentionning
    but its still an illegal drug even though its only a class c drug

    You smoke cigarettes/rollies with a filter, you don't do that with spliffs, hence you get more smoke and tar and all the rest of the assorted shit into your lungs, hence why it's worse for you.

    Eat it or use a vaporiser or even just use a bong.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

    4) Arguments to use when talking to people who disapprove of smoking?

    "Yeah but.... Your Mum"
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    also i suppose because cannabis isn't very harmful for you where as tobacco obviously is

    I heard that it was worse for You.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »

    Jarvey of Suburbia: Can you provide any evidence you support the fact that smoking in moderation is worse than drinking in moderation? (Or drinking heavily for that matter?) Are there are any better ways to relax?
    .

    Dude do some googling.

    Anyway, people may give a 11 year old a glass of wine or something to try, but I doubt they would give him a ciggie to puff on.

    Also drinking red wine is proven to be GOOD for you, I doubt anyone would say that about smoking.

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070922005418AASrvdQ

    And have a bath :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dude do some googling.

    Anyway, people may give a 11 year old a glass of wine or something to try, but I doubt they would give him a ciggie to puff on.

    Also drinking red wine is proven to be GOOD for you, I doubt anyone would say that about smoking.

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070922005418AASrvdQ

    And have a bath :p

    If you think I'm the type who doesn't wash, you're very much mistaken. And I don't abstain from alcohol. Wine and beer is something I'm quite partial to. I am starting to think though that although tobacco isn't quite as bad for your health as cannabis, I am getting fed up with it.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »
    If you think I'm the type who doesn't wash, you're very much mistaken. And I don't abstain from alcohol. Wine and beer is something I'm quite partial to. I am starting to think though that although tobacco isn't quite as bad for your health as cannabis, I am getting fed up with it.

    I mean have a bath to relax.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I mean have a bath to relax.

    Ah, cool. Well to update, I have now thrown away my pack of Silk Cut simply because I couldn't get a cigarette to light and I don't wish to smoke at home. I think the weather has made the decision for me! In retrospect, just throwing away the packet does seem a wasteful thing to do though. Tobacco isn't that bad for you. No doubt I will probably do exactly the same thing in three month's time but for now, I'm going smoke-free.

    Time to get the beers in.....

    Do you think tobacco should be made illegal?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WLH wrote: »
    Do you think tobacco should be made illegal?

    wtf. no of course not. we'd all go insane :p;)
    more smoke and tar
    ... but less/none of all the other chemical poisons you get in cigarettes that you don't with a smoking splif.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ETS: except of course if you roll your splif with both weed and tobacco
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I had a pack of Silk Cut I'd chuck 'em away too :thumb:

    The idea of smoking a pipe is quite appealing actually, if only it wouldn't make me look like a) a twat b) my grandad c) both! As for ciggies, for the six years I was a full-time smoker I always smoked B&H Gold. Always. Rarely smoke now but when I do I like Camel Blue or blue Gauloises, I've gone all sophisticated and French. Or something like that...
Sign In or Register to comment.