Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ranty rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
wasnt sure whether to put this into relationships or here..whoops

This doesn't count for allllll students just wanted to moan about some that I've come across.

Students who attempt to hide their accent and talk all croaky-fied overusing the phrase 'in a sense'. It's funny when their accent does occasionally slip out ;)

The ones who love the sound of their own voice and have to add their viewpoint in a class discussion even if it isn't relevant. We all were split into groups to tackle each stanza in the poem and this one person had to butt in when each group was giving their input. I was interrupted by this person who felt the urgent need to let everyone know that the last line in the poem was 'sad'.

Urghhhh and we had to read a book for a seminar and this one student was asked what they thought about it. They said that they had only read the first chapter because it was that unenjoyable for them. Then when I was going to mention a particular moment with this female character at the end the seminar leader stopped me because I would spoil it for those that hadn't got to the end :grump: My friend cracked me up though by saying 'She's dead'. To piss off those that hadn't bothered to read it.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    you gotta laugh, other people can be so annoying sometimes. But who would we have to giggle about if they weren't there?
  • Options
    this is true, annoying people come in handy sometimes!
  • Options
    Students who attempt to hide their accent and talk all croaky-fied overusing the phrase 'in a sense'. It's funny when their accent does occasionally slip out ;)

Where do you go to uni?!?!

The rest I can sympathise with though. Pretty much every uni class I've been in has its resident loud-mouth
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    Where do you go to uni?!?!

The rest I can sympathise with though. Pretty much every uni class I've been in has its resident loud-mouth

kent and i take english literature so lots of people try and sound posh when speaking in class haha
  • Options
    Why do people try to hide their accents?
  • Options
    My accent is so generic that it can change entirely depending on who i'm talking to. There must be some other people the same...
  • Options
    People hide their accents in uni? I've never encountered anything ike that in my time at uni.

Of course you get annoying cunts in your classes but you learn not to let it get to you.
  • Options
    There's a group who are friends and we find all of our accents kind of drift to a strange uni special accent.

It's not deliberate at all, just shows how accents often adapt to your suuroundings. Tend to find that people's 'home' accent is a lot stronger when talking about stuff that doesn't relate to uni, or when they're on the phone home.
  • Options
    Erm... not currently a student, but consider me guilty as charged with that one. I have a slight Welsh accent, but I get the feeling that it counts against me with some people. So, more and more, I've hidden it. Working on a holiday park has helped me with this one. Various tourists have all guessed that I come from the Home Counties - people don't believe me when I tell them I'm Welsh. The way I talk now, most people think I sound like an announcer on Radio 4.

Oh, and other question. As someone who's going to be studying English, I feel ashamed at even having to ask this - what the bloody hell is a 'stanza'?
  • Options
    Like a paragraph but in a poem if I remember rightly. Somewhat similar to a verse.
  • Options
    I have a friend who puts on a annoyingly fake posh accent (despite living here all her life and having welsh and brummie parents), it's funny when her brummie accent slips out - and she has the nerve to slag off our accent for being 'common and hard to understand.' :p
  • Options
    Like a paragraph but in a poem if I remember rightly. Somewhat similar to a verse.

yup that

they seem to in my classes, dont see why they feel the need to hide it personally..just sounds silly