Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Winding down

How do people do it? Evening is my greatest opportunity to sleep and yet I spend it doing anything but. I cancelled a night with friends tonight because I felt so unbelievably shattered but when evening actually rolled around I was a complete live wire... I even Brasso-ed a mirror tonight which took up around an hour's valuable kipping time. There just seemed to be loads to do, and I was thinking about this and that and this. I'll try anything (other than drugs).

You'd think 3 hours sleep a night would be solution enough :lol:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tea and a good book - so old fashioned!
  • Options
    A short burst of exercise, then a calming drink and half an hour of book then bed.

Seems to have been working ok for me trying to switch from madly working to sleep the last few weeks at uni.
  • Options
    im a bit like this. I feel absolutely cream crackered about 6 or 7pm and ready to crash, but if i stay up I get a second wind.
    Usually still ready to crash agian by 11 or 12 tho
  • Options
    Every night after I get Abbie to bed I have a bubble bath with candles, that's my chill out and escape for half an hour.
  • Options
    Hot chocolate and an episode of House. Relaxes me every time...
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    How do people do it? Evening is my greatest opportunity to sleep and yet I spend it doing anything but. I cancelled a night with friends tonight because I felt so unbelievably shattered but when evening actually rolled around I was a complete live wire... I even Brasso-ed a mirror tonight which took up around an hour's valuable kipping time. There just seemed to be loads to do, and I was thinking about this and that and this. I'll try anything (other than drugs).

You'd think 3 hours sleep a night would be solution enough :lol:

yeah i'm exactly the same, trick is to get into a routine after a certain time i try to go for a swim and 15 mins in the sauna, then fall asleep reading a book or whatever.....of course that doesn't always work in practise, discipline is key and sometimes my brain just doesn't want to shutdown regardless of how tired i am, always planning for the next day/week/month etc....i think meditation would help as well, but nothing works quite like a spliff back in the day :yes:
  • Options
    I used to have exactly the same problem. I'd feel sooo tired during the day and then by the time it was bed time I was wide awake.

I just started going to be at like 10:30 and I'd just lie ther euntil I fell asleep lol.

These days I'm so stuck in my routine that if I'm not in bed by 10:30...I end up practically fallign asleep wherever I am!
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    Every night after I get Abbie to bed I have a bubble bath with candles, that's my chill out and escape for half an hour.

I love to have a bubble bath with candles:love::love::love: sometimes I read a mag in the bath and that seems to relax me aswell.
  • Options
    yeah i'm exactly the same, trick is to get into a routine after a certain time i try to go for a swim and 15 mins in the sauna, then fall asleep reading a book or whatever.....of course that doesn't always work in practise, discipline is key and sometimes my brain just doesn't want to shutdown regardless of how tired i am, always planning for the next day/week/month etc....i think meditation would help as well, but nothing works quite like a spliff back in the day :yes:

Yeah, I've been trying to meditate. Well trying in a fairly half-arsed sense of the word really :lol: unfortunately a spliff to knock me out isn't an option these days. It was always a sure thing though!

Guess this isn't so much a routine question, as I don't have any such routine at the moment. But I want to be able to use the opportunities I do have to grab a couple of hours of sleep to... grab a couple of hours of sleep. I'm pretty sure napping is the key to all happiness, I just need to figure out how to get my nap mojo working :razz:
  • Options
    I wish I knew how to wind down. :(
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    a nice warm bath and a warm drink.

Calming music always does the trick, dont watch tv for an hour or so before you want to sleep.
    I have found out that just relaxing makes me feel more alert the next day even if you dont get as much sleep. :)