Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Iran and Nuclear Power

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well well, no surprise that Iran hasn't offered any more concessions to stopping its nuclear development programme

Here

What do you think the next step will be? Personally, I think that Dubya will start bringing out the big guns again and threaten military action on Iran.

I'm wondering, why is it the UK, the US, Russia and China are allowed to have nuclear programmes, but when a wee country like Iran tries to, the US wants to stamp on them? Is Iran really a legitimate nuclear threat?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the question about having a nuclear program is not easy resolved, as it might be utilised for both electricity and weapons. If what the iranian president states (that they only have interest in civil use of nuclear technology) is true, nuclear power are one of the cleanest sources of energy if the right type of isotops is used.

However, don't remember the specific type, but certain types of uranium can also be used for making warheads as well. And personally I find every nation having nuclear warheads a potential threat under the wrong type of government. So I guess UK, US and so on want to maintain nuclear superiority without realising what kind of message that is to the rest of the world.

As for the last part of the question, I don't think Iran have warheads right now, hence not a nuclear threat, but they might be a threat in the future.
    It depends how much high quality intelligence we've got. I wouldn't expect a ground invasion, the US is too stretched and I think its unlikely that they'd get the support of the UK and Aussies this time.

That said if in the future they know they targets I wouldn't be suprised to see Israeli jets over Iran.

It may not be fair, but fairness doesn't keep people safe at night...
    I'm wondering, why is it the UK, the US, Russia and China are allowed to have nuclear programmes, but when a wee country like Iran tries to, the US wants to stamp on them? Is Iran really a legitimate nuclear threat?

Iran is a legitimate threat to Israel, which is why they will take action if the US / UN do nothing.....the only reason nothing has been done yet is that Iran can cause serious shit in the ME, they could start funding insurgency in unstable countries like iraq and lebanon, choke oil exports through the strait of hormuz which ships 20% of the world's oil each day, and all that without nukes so not such an easy target....the US is too broke and stretched for another ground invasion so expect to see air and/or naval strikes at some point.

About as legitimate as WMD's with the capability of being launched within the hour were.

It's nothing to do with nukes, it's all about the almighty dollar *cough*. Google "Iranian oil bourse".
    Well, the most recent intelligence from the NIE suggests that Iran stopped its weapons program back in 2003, and are now only pursuing peaceful energy development. But will Bush back off? No....
    No, that won't happen - can't have those pesky Iranians trading their oil in Euros....
    Well, the most recent intelligence from the NIE suggests that Iran stopped its weapons program back in 2003, and are now only pursuing peaceful energy development. But will Bush back off? No....

The man with the tash, the Bolt-meister himself, Mr too cool for the UN, sets us straight on the NIE report:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/05/AR2007120502234.html
    It was perfectly clear in 2003 that Iraq no longer had any WMDs or nuclear programme but it did fuck all difference to the US and Britain.

If the US intends to attack Iran, it will even if God himself came down to Earth and gave his irreprochable guarantee that Iran had no WMDs and no intention or means to develop them.

The only consolation is that thanks to the shambles that is Iraq, the chances of an invasion are practically nil. They will 'make do' with aereal bombardements.
    Quite simple, its all about OIL. Its all about their interests in that area.US need more oil to run its economy and now it is looking for some reason to attach Iran, so that he can have its own govt in Iran which obey US orders (sucks). US also wanted to control China indirectly in this way, which is a very big thread for US now, because china is the biggest importer of Iran oil and so when thy got that oil, they will get control on China.

At the end, this all is OIL game.
    What do you think the next step will be? Personally, I think that Dubya will start bringing out the big guns again and threaten military action on Iran. I'm wondering, why is it the UK, the US, Russia and China are allowed to have nuclear programmes, but when a wee country like Iran tries to, the US wants to stamp on them?
    Because the USA hasn't got the guts to deal with the big countries. North Korea, it seems, already has nuclear weapons, yet all Shrub has done is sent them a letter of concern. Yep, one sodding letter, which their "Dear Leader" probably laughed at.
    The UN cant do anything about Iran because it sells most of its oil to China so they will veto anything.

The EU is unlikely to do anything other than make a few noises.

The US directly cant invade because they already are loosing one war in the middle east.

The one player who can act and can act without overt problems is Israel, they will always be protected in the UN by the US so there would be no sanctions for it. Targeted air strikes by Israel is the most likely outcome.

But, much like Iraq it can be solved a lot easier than that - tell the Iranians that they can have nuclear power, that we're happy for them to do so, but just to make sure we want to inspect their plants. If they refuse we know they are doing something dodgy and we can act, having first exhausted all the other options.
    budda wrote: »
    But, much like Iraq it can be solved a lot easier than that - tell the Iranians that they can have nuclear power, that we're happy for them to do so, but just to make sure we want to inspect their plants. If they refuse we know they are doing something dodgy and we can act, having first exhausted all the other options.
    Didn't they try a slightly similar con trick on a Mr Saddam Hussein?
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Didn't they try a slightly similar con trick on a Mr Saddam Hussein?

No, with Iraq we sent about 5 men to wander about pointlessly for no where near long enough while at the same time positioning hundreds of thousands of troops right on the border.

If the retoric wasnt raised we could make a deal with Iran, Russia is willing to sell them the refined fuel and take away the waste and there should be some UN bods about to observe in the power plants. Its not complicated, its just for reasons known only to those in power they dont want a peaceful ending to this.
    Something needs to be done quick.

Before you know it those bad bad Iranians will be invading,bombing and murdering their neighbours Iraq and Afghanistan.

(Unless someone beats them to it, of course).
    Before you know it those bad bad Iranians will be invading,bombing and murdering their neighbours Iraq and Afghanistan (Unless someone beats them to it, of course).
    Iran is the neighbour of Afghanistan? :confused:
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Iran is the neighbour of Afghanistan? :confused:

Yes
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Iran has been working on the uranium but still doesn't have a power station which can use this grade... which just happens to have weapon uses, right?
    Weapons grade uranium is a side product of a nuclear power station though isn't it - I don't think they'd be able to produce weapons grade without a power plant anyway - isn't it also the reason that people are suspicious of any nuclear power development?