Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

partitioning

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right. i've managed to partition an existing drive via XP in the past. yet i can't remember how to do it. (i formatted it into one large drive during the XP setup).

can't seem to find an option anywhere. any ideas where it is?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not in windows now, but IIRC it's in Control Panel>Administrator Tools>Disk Management or something like that.
    Although a program like Partition Magic is considered to be better.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, I agree with the above. Afaik, "standard" tools will delete your entire hard drive before making new partitions. Tools like partition magic lets you repartition without loosing data and I've used it myself a couple of times successfully. (But I'd certainly have backup anyway, just in case)
    I've used the tool I mentioned above, which is in XP by default, and it didn't delete the entire drive.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Indrid, did you? Did it also let you choose type of partition? (ntfs, ext2 and so on...), the size of it and all that and letting you keep all data?
    I used it to create an NTFS and FAT32 partition on an external drive. Then (for some reason) I deleted the 2nd one and remade it. As for resizing, I don't remember.
    And of course there's no ext2 support, this is Billy's toy.