Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Languages

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can speak enough English to get me by, and French up to UK high school level (so poorly). I started learning Japanese, but I have to put that on the backburner for a while because I need to learn enough Vietnamese to get by, fairly quickly. It looks really hard too. They use the latin alphabet which is good, but all of the words are monosyllabic, which you'd think would be simple, until you realise that each word can mean about 6 different things depending on the tone you use. :nervous:
  • Options
    German fluently, Swedish and Irish averagely, French, Italian and Slovak (thus also Polish, and Czech as they are very similar to the [or my] untrained ear) very basically.

Oh and English, but I'd hope that's obvious!

I'm always after improving my German though, I am absolutely in love with the language and learned my foundation in it simply by talking and listening and reading random street signs etc. I fell into it in a way I didn't with French (dreadful British school language learning system) and I just love speaking it, hearing it, reading it. Obviously this is completely at odds with the rest of the world and their opinion of the German language as harsh and unattractive sounding :razz:
  • Options
    English, just enough french and spanish to get by on, and a tiny smattering of galiec and dutch.
  • Options
    Mein english, urdu aur panjabi bol sakta hoon. :)
    Kaash mujhe koi european language aati, jaise ke french ya german, lekin mere school ne mujhe kuch nahin seekhayaa. Koi baat nahin, mein khud seekh loon ga.

*translation*

I can speak english, urdu and panjabi.
    I wish I knew a european language like french or german, but my school taught me nothing. Never mind I'll learn it myself. :p
  • Options
    English, just about enough french to get me by, and cantonese, although i understand that a lot more than i can speak it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Wel, achos rydach chi'n gofyn, mi ydw i yn gallu siarad Cymraeg ac Saesneg. Mi oeddwn i hefyd yn gallu siarad ychydig o Ffrangeg blynyddoedd yn nol, ond dydw i fy nghallu yn yr iaith yna ddim mor dda ag oedd o. Yr unig beth arall i ddweud ydy bod dwi'n synnu fod dwi'n cael cyfle i ddefnyddio yr iaith Gymraeg ar TheSite o gwbl. Tybed pwy fydd yr person cyntaf i ofyn i fi gyfieithu hyn?

:p

You know gobbeldegook isn't a real language?

I speak - English, Spanish, Russian

Frenh and Italian could be a bit better. I have a smattering of German and a few words of Dutch and Turkish.
  • Options
    I'm pretty good with Icelandic :yes:
  • Options
    English - mother tongue

Portuguese (Brazilian portuguese) - it was pretty much fluent but it's quite rusty now

French and German - GCSEs in 2000, can just remember a phrase or two of each now.
  • Options
    english fluently :)
    a level french tho i have forgotten most of it so i could just get by
    very basic welsh - numbers, name and i can say 'i don't know' in welsh and 'i like coffee' or 'i like chocolate'

i would like to learn welsh tho as i feel i should be able to speak my 'technically' native language
  • Options
    "I don't know"/"I don't understand" is the most important phrase. Along with knowing what "English" is in that language so you can be sure everyone will know you haven't a scooby about any other language. Sad, but true.

I got by for a month in Poland and evaded many a crazed, middle-aged Polish horndog by "nie rozumiem/nie wiem/angielski" at the top of my voice! Happily, "help" is pretty international.

That's a lie, I could also say "Jaki to jest samochód?" which is incredibly useful.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I also know random phrases in Latin.

Awesome for making people think I'm smart ;D
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    I also know random phrases in Latin.

Awesome for making people think I'm smart ;D

Romanes eunt domus :thumb:
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

I am absolutely in love with the language and learned my foundation in it simply by talking and listening and reading random street signs etc. I fell into it in a way I didn't with French (dreadful British school language learning system) and I just love speaking it, hearing it, reading it. Obviously this is completely at odds with the rest of the world and their opinion of the German language as harsh and unattractive sounding :razz:

I'm exactly the same.
    We agree on something then :p
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    "Romanes get to the 'omes?! that's motion to order boy!" :p