Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Languages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Just a curious thread, how many languages do you speak, and which are those?
Do you feel fluent in that/those languages?
What languages have you always wanted to learn?

I myself speak Norwegian, English and a bit of german.
Fluent in Norwegian, relatively fluent in English, but not so much in German.
Always wanted to learn spanish as we didn't have that option at my school.

Comments

• Options
    English and learning French.
    Pretty good with understanding but not so good with speaking.
  • Options
    Wel, achos rydach chi'n gofyn, mi ydw i yn gallu siarad Cymraeg ac Saesneg. Mi oeddwn i hefyd yn gallu siarad ychydig o Ffrangeg blynyddoedd yn nol, ond dydw i fy nghallu yn yr iaith yna ddim mor dda ag oedd o. Yr unig beth arall i ddweud ydy bod dwi'n synnu fod dwi'n cael cyfle i ddefnyddio yr iaith Gymraeg ar TheSite o gwbl. Tybed pwy fydd yr person cyntaf i ofyn i fi gyfieithu hyn?

:p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Greek and English, I dare say both very well.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Wel, achos rydach chi'n gofyn, mi ydw i yn gallu siarad Cymraeg ac Saesneg. Mi oeddwn i hefyd yn gallu siarad ychydig o Ffrangeg blynyddoedd yn nol, ond dydw i fy nghallu yn yr iaith yna ddim mor dda ag oedd o. Yr unig beth arall i ddweud ydy bod dwi'n synnu fod dwi'n cael cyfle i ddefnyddio yr iaith Gymraeg ar TheSite o gwbl. Tybed pwy fydd yr person cyntaf i ofyn i fi gyfieithu hyn?

Show off :p.

I speak English, and a bit of Spanish. I'm probably better at Spanish than I would admit to being, but nowhere near fluent.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    English and the all important leet speak.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Show off :p.
    I should use the Welsh language more often here. I could be as rude as I like about fellow users, and they'd be none the wiser what I was saying...
  • Options
    I should use the Welsh language more often here. I could be as rude as I like about fellow users, and they'd be none the wiser what I was saying...

Until they look it up on some online translation sites :p

Italian fluently (although it's probably a bit rusty right now). French/German/Spanish at survival level.
  • Options
    I'd just get my friend to translate it for me :p.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Until they look it up on some online translation sites :p
    Well, this was the translation that I was given by this website.

"Well, because you are being you heartburn ask, I am being able speak Welsh and English. I also being able speak few he French Language years crookedly doll , except I am being I me flint crookedly he drives language there anything so good with he was he. He drives only thing other I say he is being be I ' am being heartburn marvel be I ' am being heartburn have opportunity I use he drives language she persuading signs nifying at all. I wonder who he will be he drives person firstly I ask translate this?"

You might well need to contact that friend, Franki. :p
  • Options
    I seem to have bits and bobs of various languages including French, Latin (thanks to my daft school), German, Spanish (from working there for a summer), Serb/Croat and Arabic, but lack of fluency in any.

Learning Polish now, it's the hardest language I've ever learned!
  • Options
    I can just about speak English let alone anything else :rolleyes:
    I did do GCSE French and Spanish but I was rubbish, although I can probabaly understand more than what I can speak.
  • Options
    Fluent English, a few words in French and German and learning Welsh
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Fluent English, high school French, which is a bit rusty and can understand a lot of Maltese but can't speak it.

EDIT: And I know the very basics in Gaelic - like colours, my name is etc.
  • Options
    I can speak fluent English (no shit) and I can speak German pretty well, although I'm not fluent. I also know enough French to get me by, although I've forgotten alot of it and I know a few basic phrases and words in Dutch to get me what I need. :thumb:

I'm trying to learn some basic words and phrases in Thai to help me when I go there, but it's a tonal language so very hard to learn from books.
  • Options
    I speak English, but i speak to so many Polish each day that i was toying with learning it. The only problem being that Polish is so damn hard for English to understand.
    As long as you understand what "curva" means, you'll be alright. :p

I don't know if Polish is that difficult a language to learn. However, I do know from speaking to Welsh learners that they find it quite hard. I think that's quite odd, however. Compared to many, Welsh is an extremely easy language to learn. We have 28 letters in the alphabet instead of 26 in English. They are: a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, h, i, j, l, ll, m, n, ng, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, u, w, y.

Once you've got used to the slightly different alphabet, it's not much of a problem. Nearly every word in the Welsh language is pronounced phonetically. Compare that with the English language, where nothing is as it seems. Whilst learning English, I was taught about the rules of the language, before being taught all the exemptions. I lost count of the sheer number of those. It doesn't help that English is also a bastardised language. It borrows heavily from a lot of other languages, particularly European ones, which I think, makes it very hard to learn. Those people who say an understanding of Latin is essential to an understanding of English may not be wide off the mark.
  • Options
    what i don't get about welsh is the double letters - like ll sounds like 'k', well it does to me, it probably doesn't sound like it to welsh people. It just seems strange to put 2 letters together to make a sound that has nothing to do with them!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Only Welsh I know is Manceinion Piccadilly, Bae Colwyn, Abertawe and a few other place names. Along with the infamous Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :p

I speak English, German and a bit of French.

llanfair2.jpg
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    what i don't get about welsh is the double letters - like ll sounds like 'k', well it does to me, it probably doesn't sound like it to welsh people. It just seems strange to put 2 letters together to make a sound that has nothing to do with them!
    A sound that has nothing to do with them? What ARE you on about? :confused:

JsT: I'm jealous. I've never been able to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch correctly. Not once!
    (and mods, why does the message board automatically split that word into two?)
  • Options
    JsT: I'm jealous. I've never been able to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch correctly. Not once!
    (and mods, why does the message board automatically split that word into two?)

I can get fairly close but always tend to get lost somewhere along the line. No suprise most Welsh call it Llanfairpwll and oddly the railways call it LlanfairPG. I've only ever heard it said once on a train from Manchester to Holyhead, gave the full welcome announcement in English then did the whole thing again in Welsh. Very impressive stuff. I havent yet visited Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, its kinda tempting to get a picture taken with the sign.
  • Options
    English and Irish fluently, should start speaking more Irish because I'm beginning to lose it a bit.

Bits and pieces of Spanish, Italian and French.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I can get fairly close but always tend to get lost somewhere along the line. No suprise most Welsh call it Llanfairpwll and oddly the railways call it LlanfairPG. I've only ever heard it said once on a train from Manchester to Holyhead, gave the full welcome announcement in English then did the whole thing again in Welsh.
    I can get two-thirds of the word right, but I tend to fuck up at that point. The only other surprise is that there are trains from Manchester to Holyhead. Usually, if I want to go to Manch, I have to go to Chester and change trains there.
    I havent yet visited Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, its kinda tempting to get a picture taken with the sign.
    That's something I need to do next year.
  • Options
    A sound that has nothing to do with them? What ARE you on about? :confused:

because i don't see how two 'll's make a sound that sounds nothing like the actual letters, just seems weird
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    because i don't see how two 'll's make a sound that sounds nothing like the actual letters, just seems weird
    The reason it exists is because you don't usually have silent characters in Welsh. With most English words that finish with "LL", the last L is usually silent. That doesn't happen in Welsh. Just about everything is pronounced phonetically.
  • Options
    The only other surprise is that there are trains from Manchester to Holyhead. Usually, if I want to go to Manch, .

Well only three a day but its an easy enough change at Chester anyway!

Thesite meet at Llanfairpwll anyone :p
  • Options
    Can speak a bit of french, did it for six years at school, and english. Can also say great in lithuanian!
  • Options

Άκου φίλε, το να κάνεις έτσι απλά επίδειξη των γλωσσών που ξέρεις σε κάνει να φαίνεσαι κάπως ψωνισμένος. Σου συστήνω να κόψεις τέτοιες συμπεριφορές αλλιώς μπορεί μερικοί να σε αντιπαθήσουν. Αυτό είναι φιλική προειδοποίηση.

Let's see what Babelfish makes of that... :p

Hear friend, make thus simply demonstration of languages that know you makes appear somehow bwnjsme'nos. To you I recommend cutting such behaviors differently it can certain you dislike. This is friendly warning.
  • Options
    Hear friend, make thus simply demonstration of languages that know you makes appear somehow bwnjsme'nos. To you I recommend cutting such behaviors differently it can certain you dislike. This is friendly warning.
    "It can certain you dislike"? At least it's got one bit right.
  • Options
    "It can certain you dislike"? At least it's got one bit right.
    It doesn't work too well with the syntax. That part means "Some people might dislike you". :p
  • Options
    It doesn't work too well with the syntax. That part means "Some people might dislike you". :p
    That's only telling me what I've known for about three years now...
  • Options
    English. I took a year of French in school oh 7 years ago now (if that doesn't make you feel old!) I think I still know some very basic phrases (like hello :p). I could read it quite well back then but I could never understand it. We traveled there I was lost as all hell :p