Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Exercise motivation and advice!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I've joined a gym. It has group classes too. I haven't exercised for a long time but I feel very lathargic now and I'm not happy with my the way I look (I'm not overweight but I'm not toned, I've put on weight recently which is okay but the texture is flabby!)

*How can I stay motivated to go?
*Also are there any tips for beginners?

I've got a "Bums, Tums and Thighs" class booked for tomorrow. Also I'm going on holiday in just over eight weeks time so I want to look okay in a bikini.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No pain no gain. Motivation can come from the fact you are going on holiday and want to look 'better' in a bikini. Although I must say 8 weeks isn't long but it's enough if you are dedicated and hit the gym hard.

Running
    X Trainer
    Bike

Don't be scared to hit the weights either. You will improve your muscles and combined with aerobic activity will show better definition.
    This should be all the motivation you need :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    This should be all the motivation you need :D

lame

rg- when i went to the gym i found the almost smug sense of wellbeing that you get afterwards enough encouragement for me to go.
    the class sounds like a good idea because you'll probably make friends there and have a laugh.
    when i went to the gym i found the almost smug sense of wellbeing that you get afterwards enough encouragement for me to go

Cute :D
    *How can I stay motivated to go?

That's mainly down to you. When I initially started out, the extra energy I had and endorphin rush I got was enough of a motivator, then as the fat started to go, was of course, a bonus and kept me going. Nowadays I just enjoy it enough that I want to go.
    *Also are there any tips for beginners?

Keep a small towel with you, and make sure you have a waterbottle. If machines have a limit time, make sure you stick to it, unless no one is waiting and the gym is practically deserted.

Don't fear the free weights area, building muscle is integral to the holy grain known as being toned. Lift heavy, watch your form.

Ensure your diet is a balance of good carbs, good fats and plenty of lean proten. 80% of change normally comes down to diet.

Do be aware that 8 weeks isn't going to entirely change your body shape, so be realistic about your goals, but you should notice things like changes in strength, flexibility, energy levels etc.

Good luck! Enjoy it :)
    Thanks for all your responses. I went to the class today, it really hurt and I spent a few hours in bed this afternoon recovering! I'm sure I'll ache loads tomorrow too.

I did a search (after I made this thread!!) and found quite a lot of useful stuff and thesite had a useful article on it too. I also bought "Health and Fitness" magazine but it was a complete waste of money, it just had reviews of sports clothes and adverts for home gyms plus make up and beauty reviews.
    go_away wrote: »
    Cute :D
    Don't fear the free weights area, building muscle is integral to the holy grain known as being toned. Lift heavy, watch your form.
    What is a "form" ?
    Form is the way in which a person carries out the exercise. Bit difficult to describe, but for instance, if you see a person doing bicep curls, and they are swinging the weight quickly and hunching their back, that's not great form as they're not performing it safely or effectively. On cardio machines, I often see girls at my gym hunched over the stepper using their arms to pull themselves up and bending their backs rather than just having it at a better setting where they can work out effectively.

Fitness magazines generally tend to be a waste of time (the only one I've ever considered is Men's Fitness, and I think that's accessable online). I like Krista's Stumptuous site a lot, and I recently discovered gubernatrix. She has tagged female training, I'd recommend you have a read of all of that.