Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

memory

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont think it's the kind of thing people can help me with but i think i just wanted to gas about it to someone because it has made me worried

i had a test for dyslexia (think it's called LANS) today and the result came back border-line dyslexic..soooo i may or may not be dyslexic..argh. the thing that i am worried about is that i know my memory has always been awful but a section on the test was to do with short term memory.

the test for this was all on computer and the computer first read out two digit numbers and i had to type them in reversed..so 12..i had to type in 21. then it got to three figure numbers and i couldn't do it. i got it wrong and the computer just cut the test short and said 'thank you'. got a chance to glance at my results which were arranged in a bar chart and 'short term memory' was sky high!!

i was diagnosed as dyspraxic by the special educational needs folk at college and apparently that wasn't actually an official test so now i need another one for university but i think its fairly safe to assume i have it.

ahh im digressing, my lack of short term memory worries me and it has actually been noticed by people close to me that my memory is so so shit..some of you know my dad had a brain tumour and died from it, i know it's really stupid of me but i keep thinking i have a brain tumour or just some sort of malfuncton that will waste away my brain.

i guess i want to ask if anyone has this or anything..yeahh

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend has a shocking memory, especially shory term memory. He had meningitis twice when he was younger and a yew years ago he knocked himself unconciouse, he thinks that all these have affected his memory. He gets around it by storing everything onto the calender on his phone so he knows exactly what he's doing when and it goes off to remind him. It does get him down because I can tell him something and literally 30 seconds later he can't remeber what it was I told him.
    I don't really think there is anything that can be done, but hopefully your university will provide extar help with assignements and that :)
  • Options
    I have a bad short term memory too. I've never had a head injury or illness that would affect my memory I think it's just part of me possibly a trait rather than anything serious. Basically what I'm trying to say is it could just be just part of you and nothing serious.
  • Options
    ahh im digressing, my lack of short term memory worries me and it has actually been noticed by people close to me that my memory is so so shit..some of you know my dad had a brain tumour and died from it, i know it's really stupid of me but i keep thinking i have a brain tumour or just some sort of malfuncton that will waste away my brain.

My aunt died of a brain tumour too, and one of her symptoms was memory problems. But it was really sudden and really noticeable (to the point where loads of people commented that she really wasn't herself).

If you have always been a forgetful, I really wouldn't worry. Its when you suddenly change that you should probably see a doctor. But even then it's probably due to something else. Stress, depression and anxiety can all seriously mess up your memory.
  • Options
    I think having a poor short term memory is fairly typical of dyspraxia? That affects me, like if someone told me to do something then I'd probably forget it 10 min later.. could also be to do with poor concentration in my case, which i've been told is another thing typical of dyspraxics I think..

I really wouldn't worry - it's probably unlikely theres any serious problem like a brain tumour - but hopefully Uni will give you some support :)
  • Options
    thankyou for the replies.

arranging to have an appointment with an educational psychologist..to me my short term memory seems more obvious now which is worrying but it could be more pronounced just because im at university, i'll see what the outcome of my tests are and maybe go to the gp if it still worries me i think

apparently you can get those electronic games to train your memory, does anyone know if they actually work?

it's getting me down because people comment on it in a jokey way but im always forgetting appointments and what my friend has just said so they often have to repeat themselves..it looks like i dont listen/care but i just forget.
  • Options
    I thought for a long time that you either have a good long term memory and bad short term, or vice versea. A bit like English and Maths - You're good at one, not the other, but there are always exceptional students who will get an A in both :-) In my case, I have the long term memory. My short term.. well I may as well just be a goldfish! My colleague has the opposite, so will remember day-to-day activities much better than I can do, where I'm better at stats.

Clementine, are you Rachael? I remember your avatar.
  • Options
    Yup :)

I think I may be the same actually! My long term memory is quite good
  • Options
    I've got an appauling memory, both short and long term. It might be genetic, my dad had a bad memory, or might be HIV related senility, though i had a lumbar puncture earlier this year and there wasn't 'that' much HIV in me noggin.
  • Options
    Do you have a DS? You can get brain train games to improve your memory. There are non-puter techniques you can use too.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do you have a DS? You can get brain train games to improve your memory. There are non-puter techniques you can use too.

nay i dont, maybe i'll ask for some sort of console for my birthday
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I know it is slightly off topic, but I like to find a silver lining with things, and when my friend was diagnosed with dislexia at uni, she received a MP3 player, a laptop and a dictaphone to help her with her studies, so you will get help.

I know that aint really what this thread is about, but I thought I would mention it Rach :)