Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where to go?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
me and a couple of my mates are planning on going away to a european city in january....any ideas?...we where going to go to amsterdam but decided not to as we went last year and would like something different.....with a lively nightlife and lots of sights to see....any help would be appreciated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Barcelona? its great, lively, lots to see and the Spanish know how to party! quite a few pickpockets about tho...
  • Options
    Lankygirl wrote: »
    Barcelona? its great, lively, lots to see and the Spanish know how to party! quite a few pickpockets about tho...

ive heard good things about barcelona :yes:
  • Options
    Mate, I'd just go back to Amsterdam. You just can't beat it! lol But if you want somewhere different then Berlin, Munich and Hamburg in Germany are great for nightlife and drinking. Stay clear of Paris, it sucks and is expensive.
    I've also heard good things about Barcalona.
  • Options
    i love Prague, people say its full of drunken fools and stag do's, but its really not if you go to the locals bars and clubs.

been 5 times now and its a different experience everytime, i love it, and its a pretty city.

Riga was cool too, but that was a few years ago before the boom.

Barcelona is cool too but watch those nasty pickpockets
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Mate, I'd just go back to Amsterdam. You just can't beat it! lol But if you want somewhere different then Berlin, Munich and Hamburg in Germany are great for nightlife and drinking. Stay clear of Paris, it sucks and is expensive.
    I've also heard good things about Barcalona.

i know but i can smoke the face of myself everyday at home and there is a few non smokers going so we said we would go somewhere different....i think its between munich, barcalona and maybe berlin.....how do you choose!....
  • Options
    Berlin or Hamburg. Without a shadow of a doubt. I will be back to rave about them later, mummy duty calling...

Munich doesn't compare to those two for party atmosphere.
  • Options
    Madrid. Much better chance of it being warm, and brilliant party city.
  • Options
    Is warm a stipulation? 'Cause then, yeah, Germany will be cold in Jan for sure.

What I wanted to say about Berlin and HH was this: Hamburg is the best city in the world, bar none. It has absolutely everything going for it, it has an edge without being dangerous, it is cheap without being full of the disadvantages that come with a cheap city, it is alternative without being full of itself. It has THE REEPERBAHN, there is nowhere better in the world for going out... you can find everything there and you could lose a week, nay, a month there and never get bored. Of course it's all about knowing where to go. The people are crazy, the weather isn't generally too terrible, you can swim in the river (well, possibly not in January) and be at the North or Baltic sea within an hour and a half. The shopping is great, there's every type of food you could want, there are cinemas, theatres, sex shops galore, freaky little cinemas, live sex shows, alleys for "men over 18 only" and beautiful parks and fairgrounds and historical sites co-existing within the same square mile. I can't rave about it enough because you have to experience it to understand. Hamburg is the one thing that makes me wish I was still free and single - I'd be back there like a shot and I KNOW I'd have a good time. I can guarantee you a good time in Hamburg, and I doubt people can say that about many (or any?) other cities.

Prague is incredibly touch and go, as Koe said, you need to know where you're going.

Now onto Berlin (Berlin, wir fahren nach Berlin -- can't say the name of the city without the chant following). Berlin is amazing. Second onto to Hamburg for me. The amazing thing about Berlin is that it's the only capital city I've been to that has been signifigantly cheaper than the country's other main cities. Letting 'er rip in Munich will also tear your wallet out through your arse, Berlin is staggeringly cheap still. Obviously to do with history, location etc, but that's by the by. The nightlife is unrivalled, you can do everything in Berlin. It's more spread out than Hamburg but it's easy to travel around and the S and U-Bahn run all night long at weekends (same in HH, incidentally). Germans LOVE nightlife - mad clubbing, sitting in beer halls until 8am, exploring the huge and diverse scene. The history of Berlin is obviously fascinating, too, and the city itself is very interesting - still being somewhat 'divided'.

I've only been to Barca once and wasn't all that enamoured, but nowhere is ever going to come close to Hamburg and Berlin for me. My brother loved the HH lifestyle so much, he moved there 5 years ago never to return (so far, anyway). It's just immense.
  • Options
    Stay clear of Paris, it sucks and is expensive.

:no: Paris is wicked :heart:

Go to Prague.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Berlin or Hamburg. Without a shadow of a doubt. I will be back to rave about them later, mummy duty calling...

Munich doesn't compare to those two for party atmosphere.

Lol You wanna takw this outside?>?? fOR THe 100000th time??!!

I'm, wY Too fucked to argue for Munich for I GREE tbgat HAmburg and berlin aEW great
  • Options

I'm, wY Too fucked to argue for Munich for I GREE tbgat HAmburg and berlin aEW great

:lol:

Briggi- thanks for that post i will make sure to look into those two cities...:thumb: :D
  • Options

what were you on mate?? :lol:
  • Options

The argument will rage until the end of time, I reckon ;)
  • Options

Piss 'ed :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Lol I don't even remember coming home last night, let alone posting on here.
  • Options
    Hamburg gaz?
  • Options
    Munich is just as good for partying as Berlin and Hamburg IMO except it's also a far more beautiful city, with stunning Bavarian architecture and the Alps in the background. You can even go on a short day trip to a Bavarian or Austrian town in the Alps, Hitler's Eagles Nest high in the mountains of Berchtesgaden (which has unfortgetable views) or get a train up the Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany).
    It'll more than likely be snowing in Munich at this time of year and will just be gorgeous, there's loads of sights to see including Bayern Munich's new stadium, the 'Allianz Arena' which is fucking awesome and their old stadium/Germany's international home stadium - the Olympiastadion. There's plenty of bars, pubs and clubs to appeal and of course there's the almighty Hofbrauhaus which is just an absolutely massive beer hall full of pissed Germans and FIT Pretzel girls (I fell in love with one of them). You can drink these fucking huge like litre glasses of Bavarian beer (which is the best in Germany) and munch on sausages all day long. There's also some interesting history to the Hofbrauhaus as it was where Hitler and his Stormtroopers took over in the Munich Putsch.

Hamburg and Berlin are both great cities too though, I just needed to argue for Munich. :thumb:
  • Options
    Munich is just as good for partying as Berlin and Hamburg

Your diluded my mate :lol:
  • Options
    DC85 wrote: »
    Your diluded my mate :lol:

Well maybe not in terms of the Underground dance music scene, but if he's just going for a laugh with his mates then Munich has as many bars and cheesy commercial clubs as most other cities, yet it is by far one of the most beautiful and cultural cities in Western Europe (much more attractive than Berlin or Hamburg) and has loads to see and do in the day time aswell. It's also in a far more beautiful area and you just can't beat getting pissed in a beer hall as big as the Hofbrauhaus or visiting two stadium's as impressive as the Allianz Arena or the Olympiastadion.

Rotterdam in Holland has one of the most amazing underground hard dance scene's in Europe but it's so fucking ugly and has fuck all else to do.
  • Options
    Hamburg has the best beer - Astra 'til I die!

As for HH not being beautiful, it is gorgeous. Around the Alster is just beautiful, and it is far more diverse than Munich in terms of culture AND in terms of nightlife etc. Even Bavarians would laugh at the idea that Munich is a better night out than Hamburg :D

Berlin is not a beautiful city, it still knocks seven shades of shit out of Munich in every other category.

Working in both of their favours... they are not full of Bavarians and everything doesn't cost a [relative] arm and a leg. Berlin is gobsmackingly cheap, and Hamburg still seems a reet good bargain to Brits anyway.

Ooh, it's getting quite aggressive/territorial in here :lol:
  • Options
    Ok Pill'ed and Briggi thanks for your clashing opinions!...both places sound really good...but the weather may be a bit too cold in january so we are now thinking along the lines of barcalona...but i prefar the idea of going to Germany as there is so much culture and history to see during the day when im in tatters from the night before....
    so ill tell my mates of the options and see wat we decide!
    Thanks!:thumb:
  • Options
    Ok Briggi well even if Hamburg and Berlin do have better nightlife, it doesn't mean there's no good nightlife in Munich at all! And you can't deny that no matter how attractive Hamburg is, Munich isn't 20 times more attractive! Bavaria is the most beautiful of the German provinces by a long shot, only Baden-Wurttemberg comes close. There is no other city in Germany with a backdrop as beautiful as Munich's or with such gorgeous surrounding cuntryside. Munich is perfectly situated if you like a spot of skiing too.
    Also speaking of football clubs and stadiums, Shalke, Hertha Berlin and Hamburg SV aint got shit on Bayern! :D
    Bavarian culture, food, beer and architecture just owns that of anywhere else in Germany.

And I challange you to find the same Pretzel girl who I fell in love with in the Hofbrauhaus, in Hamburg or Berlin. :thumb: Her face alone is enough reason to want to go to Munich. :heart:

I'm not saying Hamburg and Berlin are shit, I loved Berlin (because the nightlife was so wicked) and Hamburg was alright, I just feel you're not giving Munich the love and justice it deserves. :razz:
  • Options
    how about baden baden?

Err failing that Zargreb (looks a bit like croydon but the night life is supposed to be amazing)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    how about baden baden?

Err failing that Zargreb (looks a bit like croydon but the night life is supposed to be amazing)

where?
  • Options
  • Options
    How about Granada in Southern Spain, Budapest, or Riga in Latvia?
  • Options
    What about Skegness? :cool:
  • Options
    both places sound really good...but the weather may be a bit too cold in january so we are now thinking along the lines of barcalona...but i prefar the idea of going to Germany as there is so much culture and history to see during the day when im in tatters from the night before....
    There's loads of culture and history in Barcelona too, the city isn't just about the nightlife.
  • Options
    Rotterdam in Holland has one of the most amazing underground hard dance scene's in Europe but it's so fucking ugly and has fuck all else to do.

too right!! :yes: i HATED it it in rotterdam. probably 2 of the most boring days of my life!! but yeah the one club i DID go to was amazing!
  • Options
    As someone who lives in Spain and who has friends in Barcelona, I can tell you that it's not going to be particularly warm in January! It's starting to get fairly cold now... admittedly I would say it's not the same type of cold as the UK, but I reckon you're better off going further afield if you want decent weather. Spain isn't always warm!