Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Excess Mucus

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lately I've found that at the back of my throat I'm getting too much mucus which I then makes me have the urge to cough

It's happening a lot day and night - some days it seems to almost disappear and other days worst - I've read Milk is a possible cause

But I don't think it's an Allergy because other people in the house have the same cough but mine is the worst

Wondering if there is anything I can take for it in terms of supplements, herbs,etc.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it's not herbal, but otrivine nasal decongestant, altho you can only use it for a few days. failing that go get a nasal spray from the doctors.

mucus at the top of your throat is most likely caused by a post nasal drip.
    I'd lay off dairy products for a bit too as they can cause of affect mucas in the back of the throat.
    ETA: I noticed when I read your post again you mentioned milk.
    I came back from a few days in Ireland and my cough went away - been back 1 night and it's come back - beginning to think it's environmental

Can't think what it is though causing it - something at home - maybe an allergy to dust mites, etc.
    Saw the doctors today - they recon it might be caused by an allergy to something - so been given nasal spray to try -