Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Best way to meet someone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm bored of being single. I know the logic of 'don't go looking, wait and she'll come along' but frankly I don't see how she can come along if i'm not giving her the opportunity.
Oh, and i'm quite lonely these days - massive life upheaval, had to leave all of my friends behind and start completely afresh.
What's the best way to meet a) friends, b) potential girlfriends?

Comments

• Options
    Join clubs - sports or otherwise.

If you're at uni, try & make friends with your housemates, or if you're working, try to organize a gang of you to go out for a drink.

If all else fails, get a dog & go for lots of walks. My mum always says, "You always meet people on dog walks." In my personal experience, you do see people but never actually talk to them, so I think this is pointless but hey. Works for her.

Or sod it all, go sit in a bar, get wankered & end up talking to random strangers. Thats always fun :D
  • Options
    i am having the same problem. i am so stuck with how to make new friends. i have become close to 2 girls at my work which is great but its more of a work friendship.
    i've been out with one of them a couple of times and we had a laugh but its not a 'proper' friendship.
    and i really want to meet blokes, you know, go out and flirt and feel good about yourself. but i dunno, im shy so its hard to just chat to people and they seem to ignore me if im on a night out, i guess im just not their type.

its hard
  • Options
    I don't so much have a general problem with meeting and chatting to people - it's just I find it so hard if i'm on a night out. I also find it incredibly difficult to meet girls, flirt - but either i'm not their type or there's something seriously wrong with me. I have no problem with just saying to people 'hey, how's it going' but it tends to produce results in the most useless places - i.e. when i'm on a train and bored and want to chat to a complete stranger, rather than where I might want to hit on someone...
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    If all else fails, get a dog & go for lots of walks. My mum always says, "You always meet people on dog walks." In my personal experience, you do see people but never actually talk to them, so I think this is pointless but hey.
    Well, it gets you out of the house, it gives you some fresh air... walking the dog is never a waste of time. I've met quite a few women whilst walking the mutts, although they seem to be more interested in Max, our 4-year old German Shepherd, than in me. Doesn't that tell you something? :(
  • Options
    Dunno - ask your dog...
    'I vos a German Shepherd but now i'm a psychiatrist... don't lie on der couch, ve're not allowed on der couch...'
  • Options
    Dunno - ask your dog...
    'I vos a German Shepherd but now i'm a psychiatrist... don't lie on der couch, ve're not allowed on der couch...'
    Ours is allowed up. And he complains to high buggery when I tell him to get off the couch too.
  • Options
    try to get involved in something, like a sports club. things take their course from there.