Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK - Want a job? Need a passport!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    But passports are expensive and only required for people who intend to travel abroad.

When you think about it a passive ID card makes a lot of sense. In fact, it wouldn't be any different to driving licences, Proof of Age cards or passports as far as government holding information about citizens is concerned.

I will concede however that the ID cards proposed by the government are quite different from a 'passive' card and raise far more concerns.

exactly, i said i'd happily allow a change that makes things more practical ie no need for a specific drivers license etc

this is jsut an excuse to get everyone's information - i thought i'd never have to have the equivilent of 'papers please' in this supposed 'free' country
  • Options
    Although by the sounds of it, it's not going to be cheap, it's not going to replace any other piece of ID and it's not simply going to be a nice bit of plastic with some basic info....
  • Options
    if you want proof of age, use a driver's license, it's REALLY cheap strangely enough

But not everyone can get one.
  • Options
    Just because they bring out new ID cards, you're linking it to nazi germany? you could link it to many things around the globe. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

So they take a few details down about you, why all the fuss? it has OBVIOUS benefits in certain areas.
    This is exactly what the government wants you to think. That's why the Patriot Act in the States got put through so quickly, and that was a bad piece of legislation...

You keep mentioning all these OBVIOUS benefits, but besides saying it'll help track terrorists, rapists and child abusers (and I'm still lost as to actually how this would be accomplished) you seem content to give the Government another way of keep us 'on file' when there are loads of ways to do it.
    Aladdin wrote:
    When you think about it a passive ID card makes a lot of sense. In fact, it wouldn't be any different to driving licences, Proof of Age cards or passports as far as government holding information about citizens is concerned.
    So why bother then?
  • Options
    Just because they bring out new ID cards, you're linking it to nazi germany? you could link it to many things around the globe. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

So they take a few details down about you, why all the fuss? it has OBVIOUS benefits in certain areas.

those benefits can be achieved by many other things, want to track terroists better, provide more funding for SIS to recruit more people; want to stop illegal immigration, get the people who employ them and make it too risky so they'd just hire legit workers instead, or get the traffikers who force people into prostitution or get people who buy the illegal DVD from street sellers who almost are always illegal chinese workers; it'd make ID theft more of an issue as they will be stolen, like the DWP people who got caught 3 years ago selling hundreds of thousands of NI numbers

and they won't be cheap, and well it doesn't matter hwo 'cheap' they are because the government will jsut use tax mony to fund them instead

then look for sucessful government IT ventures that haven't been done just to suit the technology sector's lobby group

almost every country who haave introuduced ID cards, done so under facist rule, spain did for sure
  • Options
    But Delia Rocks already pointed out the flaws in such a plan.

Unless you want to tag these cards with GPS, they won't help in tracking anyone.

ID cards don't give us anything extra than what we've already got. I can't believe people condone the obligatory and forced nature of this plan. My private life is my private life, why should I be forced to give up that right "just in case".

ID cards wouldn't have stopped 7/7 here

ID cards wouldn't have stopped 9/11 Here

ID cards DO NOT prevent/hinder/stop/ terrorism Here

ID cards won't stop theft, burglary, rape, abuse, bullying, corporate crime, money laundering, drug related crime etc etc etc Here

People who are arrested are identified fairly quickly in any event, so why do we need ID cards?

I'll bet you're one of the people who condones increasing the 'time jailed without charge' for 'suspected' terrorists. Watch 'The Road to Guantanamo' and then get back to me.

ETA: The fact that the Government just lost a quarter of a million individual's sensitive details a few weeks ago also makes me question their competence in keeping my details safe and secure.
  • Options
    I believe this is a selfish thought because in the case the ID cards DO help terrorism, god forbid if someone close to me or you isn't a victim, would it be so much to ask that you let the government issues some ID cards with info about you on?
    How is it selfish wanting my private life kept private? And again, if I lost a relative in a terrorist attack, ID cards wouldn't stop terrorist achieving their aims, you've said as much yourself.

Why should I disclose what I earn, where I live, where I go on holiday, when I left, when I got back, which places I ate, which courses I'm enrolled in at uni, which books I got out the library, where I bank etc etc to some snotty nosed public servant who's earning 7 quid an hour without *any* say in it?

The Government already has all that information about me in some way or another. Why should I fork out money for them to have even more information about me? I have a passport, I have a driver's license, I have a national insurance number, right now my retina and fingerprint scans are on a US database, I have a J1-visa for which I had to fill out 8 forms and attend an interview in London, I have a student ID, my details of where I've lived all my life are in a database somewhere, my banking details can be easily accessed. I could go an get an ID card tomorrow, and decide to become some fundamentalist crusader. I could then go and attack some government building (hypothetically) and I'd be able to get away with it. I could go out and rob a bank. Right now, even with an ID. There's a good chance I'd get away with it. Me having the ID card won't stop me doing any of these things. And it certainly won't make me any easier to identify. C'mon, they managed to identify who bombed the Trade Towers about 2 hours after the crash. This was in a wreck that brought down 4 planes and 4 buildings, in all that wreck and devastation they were still able to find out who dunnit. All without ID cards.

If you really want to stop terrorism, you'd need to GPS tag everyone and have a mind-machine to discover intention. ID cards don't show intention. They show identity, and that alone will do jack shit.
  • Options
    Because people want us dead.

yes people want us dead, people around the world have always wanted us dead - but the threat they pose, does it truly threaten this country as a sovreign state, will they actualyl put us under their rule? the only people removing the rights of the general population are the government
    ID cards can help prevent and already have helped catch the perpetrators of an attack.

like we said, when?
    Snotty nosed civil servant? what are you 12? what a completely pathetic remark.

silly

This is modern living, what do you expect when people try to attack us?

you catch them before they do it, you spy on them properly and see if they actually are planning something, get evidence and nab them before they can......
    Of course you can go and do all of that, but the point is, this is another step in protecting our country. It will help.

yes you'd make miniscule gains i admit, but they nowhere near justify the cost in liberty and financial cost of implentation, and in the risks in setting up a centralised database containing everyone's basic information ie hacking (OF WHICH, IN THE FUTURE A GOVERNMENT CAN ADD MORE INFO TO WITHOUT A PARLIAMENTRY VOTE)
    You're saying it will do jack shit but in reality it does. It seems to me you just don't like the government knowing more of your details.

as well as the fact there's better ways of achieving all these aims, without intruding on peoples private lives, and at a far cheaper cost too - yes as is always said, i have nothing to hide apart from my privacy - yeh i'll be snooped on secretly if i bought 20 kilos of NH4NO3 which is enoguh to bring down a building or to fertlise LOADS of fields, but i'm not and there's no reason for them to colelct data on me personally unless they can trace something dodgy back to me

It's come to a time in the life of Britain where as i'm sure you will agree, we now require measures to help us identify threats and protect our country. If giving up my personal details means i will contribute to that, then I will do it.

are you tony blair :| i still go to work every day, yeh there's a chance i'd be bombed one day BUT in the big scheme of things it's less likely than being hit by a drunk uninsured driver, the point is that what you do is you get on with life, you don't start ruining everyones lives and pointing the fingers, you find people responsible and get them or you you track movements of things that are dodgy, like fertiliser and radioactive material etc etc
  • Options
    Because people want us dead.
    Who does? Can you identify him/them/her? If they gave you an ID card would you know they were a terrorist?
    ID cards can help prevent and already have helped catch the perpetrators of an attack.
    What? When? Where? Links? Evidence? Research?
    Snotty nosed civil servant? what are you 12? what a completely pathetic remark.
    You reckon a random Joe earning a wage gives a hoot about our data? I don't feel comfortable knowing that he knows all about me. Whether he or she is snotty nosed is besides the point, but the fact still stands.
    This is modern living, proving your identity is required more and more as our society has evolved.
    Overlooking the obvious theoretical points that 'modernity' and 'evolution' bring up, this is a logical fallacy. What does modernity have anything to do with identity? Do you think the Aztecs (who thought the were the peak of civilisation) needed ID cards? Do you think they thought they needed them?

I can already prove my ID. We've been over this. I have a passport.
    Of course you can go and commit those crimes and possibly get away with it, but the point is, this is another step in protecting our country. It will help.
    God! How will it help? I've just gone and blown up a building, raped a women, robbed a bank, stolen a car, and set fire to a library, all while having an ID. How has me having an ID card prevent anything?
    You're saying it will do jack shit but in reality it does. It seems to me you just don't like the government knowing more of your details.
    I'm not thrilled with giving the Government more than it has already.
    no one has claimed half of the things that has been said in this thread, just that it will help prevent some of our problems.
    It won't. WMP has given far more effective measures for combating the issues ID cards are supposed to combat.
    It's come to a time in the life of Britain where as i'm sure you will agree, we now require measures to help us identify threats and protect our country. If giving up my personal details means i will contribute to that, then I will do it.
    Actually, I don't agree that this is the best way to do it, nor do I think we're innocent in the things that have been happening recently. We're involved in an illegal, costly, inhumane war which was entered into under false pretences. You giving up your details won't do anything. If you want to guarantee national security, have a camera and a microphone installed in every house in the UK and have the Government eavesdrop on all your conversations. But that's ok, you're contributing to national security!!

It saddens me to think that adults who are supposed to think for themselves just regurgitate government propaganda, rather than researching the material and coming to their own conclusions. You think that the Government acts in your best interests? You think they care about the 'little man'? Their only interest is to line their own pockets, ensure their own job security, and ensure they're ok.

And that's what you're doing Matt. You're supporting a system that doesn't give a fuck about you. This plan is fear-mongering, and sheeple like you fall for the Government clap-trap, eager to give up all your civil liberties under the illusion that doing so will somehow help you sleep easier at night.

I actually had written a whole bunch, but the system logged me out and I lost it all :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The Aztecs died out remember.

No they didn't. They were driven out by the Spanish.

Incidentally, have you ever been here?
  • Options
    I already knew that, incidently, what's the point of your arguement?
    Well, you were talking as though the Aztecs etc. were clearly inferior, since they "died out". I'd like to see you carrying stones that size hundreds of kilometres up mountains ;).
  • Options

Charles Clarke, in your own link.

"ID cards had helped officials identify the perpetrators of last year's bomb attacks on packed commuter trains in Madrid."

Wasn't that after the event?
  • Options
    Oh Matt, I don't know what to say, and I'm not going to go through all your points and debate them.

You mention all the woes that civil servants go through (and to be fair, I didn't know that you were a civil servant....), yet you fail to realise exactly who it is who is ordering the cuts, who sets your wages, and who gives you your work to do. The Government.

You moan about your working conditions, your strike, your pay increases. Who does that? The Government.

Yet, you stand by your conviction that the Government, in doing this ID card scheme, is doing its best by you. I'm arguing that this is not the case. It's a sleight of hand. It's appeasement of the masses. It's one of the reasons the States attacked Iraq. Not that it would do anything, but that the Government had to be seen to do something. This is what ID cards are. It won't help anything, it will cost a fortune, and at the end of the day terror attacks will still happen. Crime will still happen. You might have a negligible affect on incidence rates, but at the end of the day far more could be done with the proper allocation of resources.

The idea that as a modern society we *need* ID cards is a moot point. Modernity, civilisation, advancement are all relative terms, and there is no real correlation between modernity and ID. The Aztecs died out because the Spanish invaded. If they had ID cards, that wouldn't have stopped it... I'm arguing that we DON'T need ID cards, since they won't stop anything. I'm arguing that they won't STOP the attacks, you're arguing that they will help us IDENTIFY the attackers. I don't think that's what we need. We need ways to actually combat the problem at a more grass-roots level, and that's why I agree with all of WMP suggestions.

You reckon I'm foolish (or over-reacting) in saying that in order to stop terrorism you need to put a mic and camera in each house. But I'm right and you know it. In order to be able to stop terrorism, you have to find out what people are thinking/talking/arguing about. And the fact is that once people realise that ID cards aren't working, the Government will trot out measures exactly like that, in the name of national security, and people will be happy to give them over. That's what the Patriot Act is all about.

"People with extremist views want to kill us" highlights the very limited nature of ID cards. They can't help us know who has extremist views and who doesn't, how could they? Sure, maybe we'll be able to find out quicker who did it (but in 9/11 the terrorists were able to be identified in a couple of hours in a 4 plane, 4 building inferno....), but after the damage has been done.

I know I'm not going to be able to convince you, since you've fallen hook, line and sinker for the Government's propaganda that this is to 'protect' us, and to 'stop terrorism', so it'll be kind of pointless that you respond to this cause essentially it's becoming cyclical. Don't get wrong, I totally get where you're coming from, and I wish that ID cards would stop terrorism, but I don't believe it's the correct allocation of resources and energy. I guess that time will tell.
  • Options
    "ID cards had helped officials identify the perpetrators of last year's bomb attacks on packed commuter trains in Madrid."

Yep, real tough to identify terrorists who make a video beforehand telling everyone that they're going to commit an attack. Give me one example of the police having difficulty identifying Islamic terrorists after attacks in this country. They're proposing an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And equally, knowing who a suicide bomber was after an attack occurs is of no use to anyone. What are you gonna do? Hold a trial?
  • Options
    Man, wasting my breath....
    The point is, you moaned aobut having to give details over i just stated to you that this is modern living and proving your identity is a major issues in modern times.
    I *can* prove my identity. In many different ways. Passport. Driver's license. Student ID. American Visa. We've been over this already. Why should I have to pay more to prove my identity *again*? Especially when it won't help.

Why should I have to speak up about this? I signed the petition, I've written to my MP. I have my own career and aspirations, why should I go around trying to fix the fuck ups of the government? I could go into Government, but that wouldn't make me happy. The Government should be listening to the people, and they're not.

If you are truly scared of a 'V for Vendetta' scenario then you should be protesting this scheme, cause this is only one factor in the development of such a nightmare future.

P.S. And if you're going to be as petty to suggest that I don't call civil servants 'snotty nosed', at least have the common courtesy to write in proper sentences with punctuation and correct spelling. If we're debating, I don't want to have to try and decipher it.
  • Options
    What about the guys behind the guys making the attacks? are they not involved perpetrators?

Don't you have to find out who they actua;lly are before an ID card would be asked for. Therefore wouldn't you have their ID before asking them to produce it themselves?

Please point me to a single incident, anywhere in the world, where the use of ID cards has lead to an terrorism arrest before an attack.

NB The attackers of the World Trade Centre also had ID cards. Ooops, too late again.
  • Options
    For several Billion pounds of our money (not the Govts), plus the loss of my freedom/privacy, I'd want some pretty fucking cast iron guarantee and not just "it will help".

The reason that you don't know of any examples is because there aren't any - otherwise our lovley Govt would be shouting about it everytime the issue came on the press.

Charles Clarke is talking shite. The bombs killed people. ID cards didn't stop it from happening. The 7/7 perps over here were traced without them...

Seriously, anytime you Govt wants to take more power then you should be asking why.
  • Options
    You know what Matt? You're an idiot. Go get an education, learn some critical thinking, and maybe (just maybe) you can come to your own conclusions about stuff. Everything I have said backs up either WMP, I'm with Stupid, or MOK, and yet for some reason it's me you're disagreeing with.
    70% of my typing is just telling you the same dribble about what i didn't say so how do you expect me keep punctuation perfect when i have to type the same thing over and over.
    See, this doesn't even make SENSE. You keep telling me more about what you DIDN'T say? I would expect you to at least make an EFFORT at trying to put your point across in a coherent and correct manner, and you're not, which makes me think (even more so) that you're an idiot.

Your problem is that you think the more times you write the SAME EXACT THING it somehow makes you more right. It doesn't, and don't think it does.

And yeah, you'll probably be all like 'god, you're so immature that you have to resort to mud-slinging', but when it comes down to it when you're dealing with entrenched beliefs that won't accept rational thought, rational debate becomes a useless endeavour.

To close:

1) You haven't provided any proof that ID cards will help.
    2) You support a wasteful deployment of our hard-earned cash.
    3) You're just one of many sheeple who can't do any critical thinking for themselves, and think that the Government is looking out for us, and are willing to prostitute themselves out for a little bit of short-term fulfilment.
    4) I don't have to accept anything the Government peddles out for us, yet you seem to think we should just because it's the Government. The Government's a fucking idiot as well, and it's no surprise you side with them.

You know what, I really hope you don't waste any brain energy replying to this, cause you'll come out with the same trite, tired and pathetic excuses and arguments you've came out with already.

P.S. I still stand by my comment that civil servants are snotty-nosed. And if you are one, then I'm even more determined to oppose ID cards. I can't imagine someone like you having access to all my personal data.

I give up.
  • Options

Charles Clark said they helped in madrid though.

is charles clark in a job?
  • Options
    Essentially, I believe in a free UK. One where if you're born there you can walk about unrestricted, unimpeded, and go about your daily life without worrying if you're going to get picked up by the police for not having your ID. A UK where not everyone is a suspect.

This idea that we're 'at war' and ID cards will protect us is a smokescreen, nothing else.

I don't have the time (nor the energy) to debate with you anymore. You have a lot of 'hope' and 'belief' in this scheme, and as anyone who has tried to debate with a religious fundamentalist will testify, it's hopeless to try.

You think lots of other plans have been discussed. I think they have as well tbf, but in typical Government fashion they've gone with the most wasteful, expensive, inefficient system possible in a completely misguided attempt to 'do the right thing'.

If there were a system where ID cards had been shown to combat crime then I might be more open to it, but there hasn't been.

But I'll give you one thing, time will tell, and I'll bet my house the ones who oppose ID cards will be vindicated.
  • Options
    Can I just chip in now that I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with carrying an ID card - IF and only IF, I were provided with reasoned, logical arguments as to how an ID card would better improve my safety and security as a British Citizen.

Matt, you were telling me earlier how ID cards could've helped identify those responsible for 7/7 and 9/11 - but as you've admitted, there's no way they could've been identified before they committed their acts of terrorism.

I don't quite see how you can honestly believe that things are 'worth a try'. This isn't running a supermarket. This is running a country. You can't just give everyone an ID card, and then say 'well it didn't stop terrorism - but we've all got them now...'. You're in favour of the government wasting our money on schemes that aren't fit for the purpose that they are intended, when the money could be better spent on more funding for REAL needs?
  • Options
    You can't just give everyone an ID card, and then say 'well it didn't stop terrorism - but we've all got them now...'. You're in favour of the government wasting our money on schemes that aren't fit for the purpose that they are intended

Oh yes they can. That is exactly what will happen. And since we'll all have ID cards anyway, well it's not such a big step to having those RFIDs implanted directly into our muscle tissue, is it? I mean, we'll already HAVE them, it's just a matter of WHERE. And hey, that'll do away with the hassle that will ensue if you lose the damn thing....

It is my contention that they are perfectly fit for the purpose for which they are intended. It's just not the purpose you've been led to believe.
  • Options
    Frankly, i'd rather be locked up.