Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Network/Internet Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise this is quite specific to the network I'm on etc but thought it was worth an ask. I'm a student in halls on the uni LAN and I appeared to have no internet at all this morning, Outlook can't find my mail, and IE can't connect.

Then I try msn and that works fine....

Then I try Firefox, and that works fine for everything apart from uni stuff, no department pages, no webmail, no uni website, no college website.

Is there anything I can try or do I just need to hang on and wait for it all to reappear?

Comments

• Options
    Can IE connect if you type in a random (non-uni) page address? If it's just the home page failing to load and the home page is a uni page, then you've got your answer - the uni stuff is offline.
  • Options
    Nope, homepage is BBC News.
  • Options
    Looks like you need your student login to access your uni departmental pages and their webmail. It was the same with my uni. If you're unsure what your ID is, just ask your uni helpdesk. Bring your NUS card so that they know who you are and you aren't fibbing!
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    It's possible that a couple of your uni servers are down, including one that is used as the gateway server for IE.
  • Options
    Cheers Saeed, that's what turned out to be the case. Had me rather confused when some bits worked and some bits didn't.

Thanks for the suggestion Monserrat, but generally you can get to uni websites without needing passwords. Would make life rather difficult for anyone from the outside world to see them otherwise.