Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Buying electric products from america.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
will they work? or will i need to buy new power supplies in the UK. (i mean actual power supplies, not just the converter plugs)

i'm looking for a digital camcorder, and going to new york a week today (whooo!).

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think generally speaking, anything which is meant to be portable will be compatible with worldwide power supplies (though you obviously need a different adaptor in each country). This is certainly true of laptops, but it'd be best to check for camcorders. If not, then a power-down converter should be fairly cheap (£10-20). Failing that, the batteries should always plug into a UK battery charger anyway.

Unfortunately though camcorders and other video technology come with their own set of problems, because UK TVs and camcorders run on the PAL system and American ones run on the NTSC. I think the general thinking is that if you're going to edit everything on the computer first, then there is no issue, since computers don't distinguish between the two formats. Equally, the tapes/DVD's are compatible with all camcorders. If you're going to try and record it or view it directly on your TV, then you might have an issue on some TV's, but most TV's nowadays can handle both NTSC and PAL signals. Check your TV and VCR manuals before you buy, if this is what you want to do. The only other issue to bear in mind is that the warranty will usually only be valid in the country it's bought in.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nice one, cheers :D