Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Brand of Pill....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Question for you:

How often have you even considered going on the internet to rave about how brilliant a product is?

Now, how many times have you actually been on the web to talk about something you don't like, didn't get on with or didn't work?

You'll find very little positive feedback for bog standard things like contraceptive pills, people only bother to mention them when there's a problem.
  • Options
    I would write a review if I found a product outstanding, on the internet.

Oh and was there really a need to be quite so patronising?
  • Options
    Marvelon has been absolutely fine, no negative impacts apart from maybe increased appetite but definite boob growth!
  • Options
    Is there anything besides lack of mood swings you are looking for? Though the internet may be good to start out with, I'd have a chat with your gyno as they'd be able to list off pills for certian things. A low dose hormone or a gradual increase one for mood swings helped me, or if your looking for shorter or less or no periods they could tell you a few, ones with the least side effects of weight gain and other such things. Since you've probably seen them a fair few amount of times they can probably tell you what may or may not react well to your body. As for me, ortho tri cycline lo kept me from being a total bitch, and my chest grew from a little b to a full c. And now, loestrin 24, still no mood swings and a period only every other month and they only last 2/3 days. Gotta say I absolutly love it.
  • Options
    Sorry didn't mean to sound patronising, was simply asking the questions to make the point, with anything in life the bulk of the feedback is always negative, people rarely bother with positive stuff.
  • Options
    I agree with Scary Monster... The majority of people will go online to complain about pills so don't be put off by things they've said about it. A lot of people have probably found it fine and never think to write about it or encourage others to try that certain brand.

Personally not been on Cilest. But the experience I had with the pill I am on was that I was quite mood-swingy for a couple of months and then it settled right down and it's been great for 3 years now. So possibly give it a while to settle down if you do get any side-effects (unless they're unbearable).

Just got to try it and see really. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    People will always slag pills off rather then day how great they found them, and every pill has differnt horomones and will affect each women who takes them differently.

I was on cilest for about two and half years, the first three/four months was quite hard as I had constant PMS. But it settled down and my periods did improve a lot (less pain, less PMS, less bleeding) Had to come off as I had some not very nice side effects.

I had to come off the mini pill after I had non-stop headaches on it, recently had the implant and it all seems to be going well so far.
  • Options
    Its impossible to say until you try it. I'm on my 3rd type of pill now!
  • Options
    Have to agree that unless you try it you won't know how you're going to react to it. The different sorts of pills react differently with every single person. Personally i've given up trying to find one to suit me. I've tried 5 types now and each one has given me different side effects and my body got to the point where it was telling me no more so i stopped with them. Think i've just got one of these systems that cannot take heavy medications messing with it. But then my two best mates have been on microgynon for 4 yrs each and they're spot on and feel fine.
  • Options
    I presume if you told your doctor your previous pill gave you mood swings? In which case she may have chosen Cilest because it is a lower does of hormone or its is of a different generation? Everyone reacts differently to different brands of pills. I was on Yasmin for years and it gave me awful PMT so then my doctor switched me to a lower dosed pill called Loestrin 20 (or 30?). I told my friend who had also tried this pill and she used to have spotting and really long periods. For me it has been the opposite! I now have really light periods and no pmt.

So give it a chance for a few months and let your body adjust to it :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I was on cilest and it didn't really agree with me - I had weird between period bleeding and the like. However, just because *I* had an issue with it, doesn't mean that you will. Try it and see. Every woman is different and what suits one won't suit another :)
  • Options
    Also it may take a few months for your body to adjust to the new pill and for your periods/pmt to settle. I was a hormonal wreck for my first few weeks on Loestrin!
  • Options
    I know everybody reacts differently!
    I was just curious thats all.
  • Options
    I'm doing okay on Microgynon for now! :)
  • Options
    I was fine on Cilest, except i had breakthrough bleeding. I was crazy-moody on Microgynon, and i had lots of bleeding on Loestrin. It's different for everyone - i tried a number of options and now i've got a Mirena coil, which works fantastically for me.
  • Options
    I was fine on Cilest, except i had breakthrough bleeding. I was crazy-moody on Microgynon, and i had lots of bleeding on Loestrin. It's different for everyone - i tried a number of options and now i've got a Mirena coil, which works fantastically for me.

Is that the one with the hormones or without? Sorry for being nosey, just curious :)
  • Options
    I also had awful moods on Microgynon. Now on Loestrin which seems ok so far but hardly any bleeding at all which can be worrying! I have found that even though i was ok on microgynon, i became less tolerant so now think as time goes by our bodies change. Perhaps see how you go on it then change if you are unhappy, you are entitled to do this x
  • Options
    me too! though having said that, when i first went on it i was very emotional and temperamental. but when i asked my doc he just said its whats expected because your body is getting used to the change in hormones. and yes my boobs got bigger!!!
    Exactly the same for me. I'm like a yo-yo with these emotions!
  • Options
    I also had awful moods on Microgynon. Now on Loestrin which seems ok so far but hardly any bleeding at all which can be worrying! I have found that even though i was ok on microgynon, i became less tolerant so now think as time goes by our bodies change. Perhaps see how you go on it then change if you are unhappy, you are entitled to do this x

That happened when i went on loestrin. But it made me crazy hungry i wanted to eat ALL the time and was always hungry, now i'm on cerazette and loving it! Microgynon gave me unexplained chest pains. :confused:
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Is that the one with the hormones or without? Sorry for being nosey, just curious :)

That's fine - it's the one with the hormones. It's great, i've had it for 4 years and would totally recommend it to everyone :) There are a couple of other people on here who have coils as well, and we're all pretty happy with them :)
  • Options
    I've been on cilest for....2 years ish? The first month was absolutely horrible but since then it's been fine. The only problem I've had is that it does make me put on weight like anything so have to watch what I eat a lot more. But for an otherwise problem free pill it seems like a small price to pay.

Everyone's different though, won't know until you try :)