Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

group B strep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I had some routine tests recently and got a call from my doctor's surgery on friday to say "so sorry, but it seems you have Group B Streptococcus infection, your doctor's left a prescription for you at reception." Nice and informative.

So now I'm on antibiotics for a week and I don't even know what this infection is, because they haven't bothered to explain. Clearly it's symptomless or I would've known.

Anyway, I'm not an idiot and have googled it, but apparently a lot of women are carriers of group b strep but that's not a bad thing in itself - it only becomes a problem if it gets infected, in which case it can cause blood/urinary infections, and also most of the hits I got from the internet were about pregnant women and how it can harm your baby.

So I'm quite confused - I don't understand whether I've got just the bacteria or the whole infection, and I'm not sure how serious it is. I think I'm going to book an appointment so my doctor can damn well explain it to me, but I was just wondering if anyone on the boards has had this and can give me a normal person's explanation?

Thanks! Would be really good to know if someone's had the same thing.

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry to bring this back again but does anyone at all have any advice?

Thanks!
    x
    I suppose the question would be what were the routine tests for?

Are you planning on becoming pregnant of have other health problems?

I've had various infections that I've then had antibiotics for, some I've had obvious symptoms for, others have just been having an effect on something else.

Can't really help, although if yuo've got the prescription to clear it up and no follow up, then I'd suggest taking the tablets, letting them sort it out and leaving it as potential problem sorted.
    the only thing i know about it is it can be very dangerous in childbirth (to the baby) but that a lot of people just carry it harmlessly.
    I guess its best to treat it if you have it
    I think the best thing you can do is go back to your GP and ask them all about it. I'm quite shocked that they haven't given you more information. Can you make another appointment?