Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How many people show their full Date of Birth on Face Book?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-loans/idfraud/article.html?in_article_id=425595&in_page_id=&ito=1565

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/technology/s/1024136_users_warned_over_facebook

Facebook users are putting themselves at serious risk of identity theft, they were warned today. Posting just a handful of personal details on the website can give fraudsters all the information they need.

Armed with information found on personal Facebook pages, experienced fraudster are often able to open bank accounts and credit cards in the victim's name.

I have to say last night I went to my profile and updated a lot of the privacy settings including hiding my full DOB.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've pretty much hidden everything to everyone except for my friends *shrug*.
    Yeah only my friends can see my profile!

Pisses me off when I get randomers poking me and wanting to be my friend. Losers!
    lipsy wrote: »
    Pisses me off when I get randomers poking me and wanting to be my friend. Losers!

I've only had a couple of those - thankfully. Then I realise that people I think are randomers are actually people I knew from YEARS ago and have completely forgotten about. I have had one or two people I don't know AT ALL but nowhere near as many as I used to get on MySpace.
    i never put any real info on more or less every site, you'd be lucky to get my first name nevermind dob!
    I just checked mine and everything's set to "Only My Friends" and I have no network. Does that make me safe?
    I removed my birth date from facebook recently because of that. It scares me when people have their full addresses on there and mobile numbers.
    Like others, i have everything set to friends only and i don't add randoms i don't know, so theoretically i should be safe, and if not then the suspect list is fairly slim :p
    Yeah same here, I don't have any birthday details, nor contact details except for my email. My profile is set to 'friends only' and I never accept anyone I've not met IRL.
    I've changed everything to friends only and only have a link to my myspace on there.
    oooh my d.o.b's on mine, and my full name. not good :no:.. will need to make some quick changes!
    oooh my d.o.b's on mine, and my full name. not good :no:.. will need to make some quick changes!

That sounds like a wise move.
    just changed my dob
    I've never displayed my full date of birth on Facebook. Mind you, I'm still listed as being from Manchester there, which is only partially true. Truth is, if a fraudster was determined enough to find out someone's identity, they'd work it out one way or another.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    a fraudster would be gutted if he spent time finding out my details!

I have nothing in my bank accounts, and cant get credit due to debt...
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I have nothing in my bank accounts, and cant get credit due to debt...
    Even if you didn't have debt, you'd probably find getting credit extremely difficult, given the worldwide "credit crunch" at the moment.
    I show my birthday on FB but not the year.
    I dont show my dob on facebook, because I refuse to get one in the first place.
    deleted.