Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ian Smith dies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ian Smith, former PM of Rhodesia has died.

Mugabe has wrecked Zimbabwe; he's turned one of the richest African countries into one of the poorest, he's dismantled an independent judiciary, hounded journalists, persecuted political opponents and most amazingly of all made Ian Smith's regime look good... Everyone, except the Zanu PF elite would have been better off with Ian Smith. Unbelievable... One only hopes Mugabe doesn't have long left.

Comments

• Options
    Ian Smith, former PM of Rhodesia has died.

Mugabe has wrecked Zimbabwe; he's turned one of the richest African countries into one of the poorest, he's dismantled an independent judiciary, hounded journalists, persecuted political opponents and most amazingly of all made Ian Smith's regime look good... Everyone, except the Zanu PF elite would have been better off with Ian Smith. Unbelievable... One only hopes Mugabe doesn't have long left.

:yes: I remember a few Zimbabweans being interviewed on TV a year or so ago and they said they wished Ian Smith was still in power. That's how bad Mugabe is.
  • Options
    I don't know very much about Ian Smith. I don't think he was at all liked when in power though, so if the people of Zimbabwe are now waxing nostalgic about him its a sorry comment on Mugabe's rule.:no:
  • Options
    I don't know a great deal about Ian Smith. What I gather from press coverage is that his regime was bad, but that Mugabe is a thousand times worse. The people of Zimbabwe may mourn him, but they certainly won't mourn Mugabe's passing. Indeed, when the evil, racist tyrant finally snuffs it, I'll be popping open a bottle of champagne in celebration. Anyone else who wants to join me on that illustrious occasion is welcome.
  • Options
    Mugabe is Ian Smith's monster. If Ian Smith had declared UDI and Rhodesia had got proper independence Mugabe wouldn't have made his name and got his power fighting against him.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Cover one half of his face, then the other, and look at the difference! He's on the wonk alright!

Nice one, J. He actually was an RAF pilot who fought for Britain in WWII and suffered sever burns when his plane was shot down. He had to undergo plastic surgery to reconstruct his face.
  • Options
    And btw, I don't give any extra points to him for fighting for his country only for him to turn around and betray it.

I didn't know anyone had given him extra points ... although he wasn't fighting for Rhodesia, as it was at the time, but for Britain.
  • Options
    I'm ignorant of the whole story. My bad. All this crap will dull your mind I think. Although it does leave you with a tendancy to stick you foot in it to not know.

Ah well .. he's dead now so he probably won't sue you. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    :yes: I remember a few Zimbabweans being interviewed on TV a year or so ago and they said they wished Ian Smith was still in power. That's how bad Mugabe is.

And something more recent ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/24/wsmith124.xml

Ian Smith wasn't 'evil' like Saddam Hussain or Hitler were 'evil' ... he was a product of his time, albeit that was wrong.