Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A (naive) pill question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gf has been on the pill for over 2 months now and not taken a break. She now says it's starting to bleed a bit despite being on the pill. You're supposed to take the pill for 3 weeks and not for a month to allow it to bleed, but she says that's just because women traditionally still wanted to naturally bleed once a month and it's not essential. But now it seems with her still bleeding a bit despite being on the pill for so long her body really wants/needs to, does she now need to stop it? Thx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can run packs together, but if you do it for more than a few months, you can get breakthrough bleeding.

Apparently there is a new pill in the USA which means women have no periods at all. Bring it on!
    Haha.. what is this "it" you are referring to??

Yes your girlfriend is correct and she can run packs together for up to 3 months. I sometimes do it. Although.. considering your body is supposed to be tricked into thinking you're pregnant when on the pill it is rather strange I start to get pangs of period pain (only slight) before I've even come on my break...
    I think what you are asking is:

'My girlfriends been running packets of the combined pill together, and now has breakthrough bleeding. Does this mean she should stop taking the pill?'

Answer to that question is no, not necessarily. It is usually fine to keep taking it until the end of that packet and then have the 7 day break.

If one gets breakthrough bleeding then it oftens works better if one sticks to the instructions, take one packet, have a 7 day break, take the next packet. Breakthrough bleeing whilst doing that is far more unusual.

It's worth being very aware that one of the things that can cause breakthrough bleeing is being late/missing pills, in which case one should double use condoms for 7 days.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    This information from the NHS website may be of interest to you.

"It's not a good idea to run more than two packets of the pill together. This is because the womb lining continues to build up and you may have breakthrough bleeding as it sheds slightly. Some women also find they feel a bit bloated or have mild stomach pains if they run several packets of the pill together. Check with your GP, nurse or family planning advisor for the length of time to try."

If she is going to always take her pills back to back then it may be best she talks this through with her doctor, as every woman is different and some may not be advised to do this. On the other hand, some women are told it is good to do this, especially if they have certain conditions.
    Excellent advice here, thanks. Will tell her to carry on with current packet then stop for a week and bleed. Thx