Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

College, EMA and New Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Never thought I would post in this forum - very unlike me!

Anywayyy

Here's my situation, I am in my 2nd year of a full time course at college. In my first year my mum and dad were working full time and earning wayyyy above the entry critera for EMA so I never got it. Now however my dad does not work at all and my mum is working urm less than 16 hours a week. My dad is self employed but has no actual set income, he takes jobs as he pleases, can get no money whatsoever one month then a ton the next. I picked up an EMA application form at the beginning of this college year and it says I have to send of all last years taxy and incomey things - but in my circumstance I cannot do that because last years income doesnt match this years income. If that even makes sense.

It just doesnt seem right that we are below the entry now and I could be getting 20 or even 30 a week but I dont get it because of last years income. Surely last year is last year and this year is this year.

Mmmm, :chin: anyone with an extra large brain fancy helping me out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sure if they do it the same for EMA but I was in a similar situation with student loan entitlement at uni, they did work it out as the year progressed I think.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I'm not sure exactly how it will work, but you could try calling the EMA helpline, they should be able to offer you some good advice.

0808 10 16219.

This article also has some information for you:

Education Maintenance Allowance
    I think you'll be fucked tbh. Most things relating to self-employed people go on your previous years income I think. Ah well, you don't really need EMA. I never had any costs at college, beyond what you'd have to pay for anything else, and I can't think of anyone that did tbh. Maybe one of those big art folders, but we borrowed all of our books.
    I don't know what the EMA threshold is, but as a starting point it would be worth working out with your parents in round figures what their annual income is likely to be.

If it's coming out clear under the threshold, then it's worth pushing for, if it's looking like being over then there's no point in putting any more effort in.
    I couldn't get EMA last year because my circumstances didn't change until after the school year started, and according to last years records we were still on whatever it was. I did contact the council and got a similar thing where they gave me a lump sum of money at the start of each term. It was only the equivalent of £20ish a week (i would have been getting £30 on EMA plus bonuses) and they asked for a new tax credits document each term to check. I'm on EMA now though.
    Ah well, you don't really need EMA. I never had any costs at college, beyond what you'd have to pay for anything else, and I can't think of anyone that did tbh. Maybe one of those big art folders, but we borrowed all of our books.

There are some people that need it and do have loads of costs at college. Well, I certainly did.
    Melian wrote: »
    There are some people that need it and do have loads of costs at college. Well, I certainly did.
    My friend who got EMA spent his entire bonus on these. He said he didn't have time to go to college and get a job, when I was doing more subjects than him, lived further away than him and worked 20ish hours a week and still could barely afford anything.

I am bitter about EMA in general though.

Well then it should be provided on a needs basis, not just handed out to everyone below a certain income level regardless of needs. Someone living at home, doing A-Levels in English, Media and Law doesn't need £20 a week to do the course. It just irritates me that they use EMA to bribe people into going to college, while uni students are struggling with their actual living costs, which they have to pay back at the end. In my opinion anyway.
    Franki wrote: »
    My friend who got EMA spent his entire bonus on these. He said he didn't have time to go to college and get a job, when I was doing more subjects than him, lived further away than him and worked 20ish hours a week and still could barely afford anything.

how did he get it if he wasn't going? Most people have a timetable or something to get signed or it all goes on the register. The bonus is supposed to be a treat, but only if you're on target so I think your teachers give some kind of report to say if you are or not. They do at my school anyway.
    Having said that though, a girl in my english class managed to get it as her dad was between jobs at the time, but then got a new one and was on like £40k+ all that year and she was getting £30 a week plus bonuses, which I should have been getting but didn't when my dad had just left so we were on about 1/4 of that. I dunno how she managed to get it though.
    I don't think it's very fair, as it's just assuming that kids from families earning below a certain line need to be bribed to continue in education and the ones from better off families don't.
    It's still a huge help to me as I'm struggling to find a job - and I've only missed 1 hour of school so far this year so I'm certainly not slacking.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Having said that though, a girl in my english class managed to get it as her dad was between jobs at the time, but then got a new one and was on like £40k+ all that year and she was getting £30 a week plus bonuses, which I should have been getting but didn't when my dad had just left so we were on about 1/4 of that. I dunno how she managed to get it though.

She probably got it because she didn't inform whoever it is that her circumstances have changed.
    Someone living at home, doing A-Levels in English, Media and Law doesn't need £20 a week to do the course.

Says who?

I had to buy everything for my A Levels and my NVQ.
    Says who?

I had to buy everything for my A-levels too, and it came to nowhere near £20 a week. Maybe £20 per year if you're lucky. The most expensive thing I had to buy was a copy of Psycho for £3. I've asked before for someone to break down the full £30 a week of "course costs" they have and no-one is able to do it (travel allowances being available seperately of course). EMA is about getting people to go to college who would otherwise get a job, not about actually offsetting the costs of going to college, because if you live at home, your parents will still get benefits for you if they need it.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    how did he get it if he wasn't going?

He was going to college. He just said he didn't have time to get a job as well. So I had a massive rant at him for spending so much money when I worked hard at college, then spent an hour and a half getting to work twice a week and I still could barely afford to buy lunch even once a week, when he got extra money on top of his EMA from his mum for his lunch and he even spent THAT on cards, and complained he was skint.

Me too!

I'm 24 now but when I started sixth form our school was in a pilot area for EMA. Although my parents were in the 'correct' income bracket for me to receive EMA I wasn't entitled because I came from outside of the LEA catchment area. It peeved me more that the people who got the best results for the school pretty much all came from outside the catchment area for the LEA so the kids who got all the money were the ones spending it on drugs and we got nothing.

Still, I have to agree that it's a con really. What does a college or sixth form kid really need? Sixth formers tend to be given all their text books and folders anyway. When my brother went to sixth form he got it and spent it all on dope. Hmmm, productive. :yeees: :impissed:
    I wouldn't have minded getting EMA (who would complain about being given money for nothing every week?) but it didn't exist when I was at college. I lived at home and had a part time job, think EMA is a waste of money tbh when there are so many people genuinely struggling to get by.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Sixth formers tend to be given all their text books and folders anyway. When my brother went to sixth form he got it and spent it all on dope. Hmmm, productive. :yeees: :impissed:

For A Levels, I was given all my text books, but only one teacher gave us a folder. For one subject, I had to buy three folders.
    For A Levels, I was given all my text books, but only one teacher gave us a folder. For one subject, I had to buy three folders.
    What, over the whole year?

Wow.

That's hardly £30 a week, is it.

And I had to do that too, strangely enough, and I didn't have £30 a week to help me.

lol. i bet that cost about £1.50 or something though! i think its a given at college that you have to buy all your own stationary, isnt it? well it was when i was there.

i was really grateful for EMA, I got something like £13 a week and it went towards my driving lessons :thumb:
    What, over the whole year?

Wow.

That's hardly £30 a week, is it.

And I had to do that too, strangely enough, and I didn't have £30 a week to help me.

I had to buy other stuff as well, like pens, plastic wallets and paper.
    i think its a given at college that you have to buy all your own stationary, isnt it?

Yes, which I've had to do since Year 10.
    EMA can be a real help though, I'm still struggling to find a job so it goes on just about everything. Bus fare to school is probably the main one though, as I live in the next town. And I have a big reading list for english, so I need to buy the ones that aren't in the school library.
    Well then it should be provided on a needs basis, not just handed out to everyone below a certain income level regardless of needs. Someone living at home, doing A-Levels in English, Media and Law doesn't need £20 a week to do the course. It just irritates me that they use EMA to bribe people into going to college, while uni students are struggling with their actual living costs, which they have to pay back at the end. In my opinion anyway.
    What about the travel costs to college, not to mention books, writing equipment, lunches... It does add up.
    I had to buy other stuff as well, like pens, plastic wallets and paper.

Yes, which I've had to do since Year 10.

WOW. Me too, oddly. It's still not £30 a week, and I still maintain that I could do it without EMA. I couldn't get EMA because my stepdad earns too much, I don't get the full loan (or even enough to pay for my rent) because my stepdad earns too much, but I managed it. I WORKED, even though I was doing one of the most time-consuming courses available. Watching people who hardly did any work, didn't do their homework, and spent their whole day playing cards get EMA and on Thursdays rush out to go and spend the whole lot on cards when I worked my butt off and could barely afford ANYTHING made me really angry.

Fair enough spend it on GETTING to college, that's probably what all mine would have gone on (£450 a year with an IB discount - £600 without, which is what my sisters was), but I don't agree with people getting it just because they went to college. WOW, go you. I went to college too, but I got fuck all and had to work myself to exhaustion just to get by. That's hardly fair imo.
    Not everyone who gets EMA bums around.
    Where did I say they did?

But I still maintain that the whole system is categorically unfair.
    Watching people who hardly did any work, didn't do their homework, and spent their whole day playing cards get EMA and on Thursdays rush out to go and spend the whole lot on cards when I worked my butt off and could barely afford ANYTHING made me really angry.

I don't know what school you went to, but it was certainly never like that at the school I went to. We had to turn up to lessons (on time) and had to do the work. I remember last year, one of the teachers said that she'd refuse to sign the cards of people who didn't complete the work.
    But I still maintain that the whole system is categorically unfair.

Why is it? Or do you think that everyone should get jobs? Even though that is almsot impossible for some people.
    Why is it? Or do you think that everyone should get jobs? Even though that is almsot impossible for some people.

Because why should some people get paid for going to college and not others? Why should I have to work my butt off when some people who ARE perfectly capable of getting a job don't and then spend their EMA on crap when I go to college AND work stupid hours and still can't afford anything.

Why should YOU get money when I can't because the government make the assumption that I'm getting help from my parents? Why should YOU be rewarded for going to college and I get NOTHING?

Good for you - you turned up to all your lessons. SO DID I, and I got FUCK ALL for it.

THAT is why it's categorically unfair.

I'm not saying some people don't need it, but in the vast majority of cases I've come across, people don't use most of it on college stuff.
    Only, those from better backgrounds, as you put it, aren't being 'penalised' are they? They're just not entitled to EMA. You can hold down a job, study severn subjects and get your Dad to drive you to college, but not everyone can.
    katralla wrote: »
    Only, those from better backgrounds, as you put it, aren't being 'penalised' are they? They're just not entitled to EMA. You can hold down a job, study severn subjects and get your Dad to drive you to college, but not everyone can.
    But so can a lot of people who DO get EMA. And it's not about being penalised, it's about the automatic assumption that your parents will pay for all your stuff for you, when my mum struggles to buy stuff for herself, let alone me.

I'm not saying nobody should get it, but it shouldn't be that some people get rewards for showing up to college and others don't.
    I'm not saying nobody should get it, but it shouldn't be that some people get rewards for showing up to college and others don't.

I take it you clearly don't know what the rules currently are then?
    3 folders is NOTHING

Ok then, let me rephrase it: 3 folders for one subject (one per module) and 2 for another. You tell me that's nothing?
    If there's funding to be given (and no one realistically needs £30 a week, nor can justify)

No, of course no-one can justify sepdning/needing £30 a week on school stuff. That's why at least one week in the last year, I ended up spending £40 on stuff for my placement. And that was just clothes.
    I take it you clearly don't know what the rules currently are then?

They involve some people being given it and others not, which was what my point was.

Ok then, let me rephrase it: 3 folders for one subject (one per module) and 2 for another. You tell me that's nothing?
    How about 6 subjects, at least 2 folders each, and then another subject with one folder? Trying to outdo an IB student will be very difficult, let me tell you that now.

No, of course no-one can justify sepdning/needing £30 a week on school stuff. That's why at least one week in the last year, I ended up spending £40 on stuff for my placement. And that was just clothes.

Why did you need extra clothes for your placement? What was so different about it that you couldn't wear normal clothes?