Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mortgages question

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's just the way it works. It you're working as a permanent employee for a company, then they are responsible for your PAYE accounts etc. When you have somebody else looking after your money for you, then it can be a different kettle of fish.

I, for example, get no paid holidays, sick pay etc as I am a consultant. I specifically get paid for the work I do on either a daily or an hourly rate. I've just had 3 months off work (between contracts) as the market is fierce at the moment so for some of us, it's not all fluffy bunny land... But when working, yes, it's good.

Often, it's the people taking the biggest risks that get the better benefits, but sometimes lose out - just the way of the world.

I wasn't happy in a 'normal' permanent job, doing the same things day in day out, so I pushed myself and got into what I do now. I don't have any A-Levels or a Degree, but that didn't hold me back. It's partially down to the person and how far you are prepared to go.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Yeah I would take it, but it DOES seem very unfair that all the people who seem to dodge their way out of paying tax are the ones earning loads in the first place.
    But the rich don't use stuff that tax pays for as much as the poor so is it fair they should pay more for it?! A huge bulk of tax goes towards NHS, state schools, public transport, etc. The rich don't use that much - I'm with BUPA, kids will go to private schools, never use any public transport. Whereas a poorer family will use NHS, go to state schools, use buses etc. Anyway, note that even though I'm paying less % tax, I'm still paying more £ than most, and getting less in return.
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    But the rich don't use stuff that tax pays for as much as the poor so is it fair they should pay more for it?! A huge bulk of tax goes towards NHS, state schools, public transport, etc. The rich don't use that much - I'm with BUPA, kids will go to private schools, never use any public transport. Whereas a poorer family will use NHS, go to state schools, use buses etc. Anyway, note that even though I'm paying less % tax, I'm still paying more £ than most, and getting less in return.

I'm with you on this one, chap. :yes:

I feel a flaming coming on though :lol:

Oh - just to add, I have to pay 2 NI contributions; employers and employees. Employees (as everybody pays) is capped. Employers is not.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I think most of us can agree that Ricardo doesn't live in the same world we all do.
    g_angel wrote:
    My take home is around the £4.5k-£5k a month mark at the moment as the contract I am working on right now isn't quite paying what I am used to
    Clearly not then. UK is a very diverse country, as is reflected well on this site. Some people on here earn £100k+, others earn under £10k. Some have slept with 100+, others are virgins. Some might be dealers, others have never smoked weed. Just because what I say isn't what you're used to hearing doesn't mean my life is abnormal, plenty of others I'm surrounded with live similar lives.
  • Options
    Clearly not then. UK is a very diverse country, as is reflected well on this site. Some people on here earn £100k+, others earn under £10k. Some have slept with 100+, others are virgins. Some might be dealers, others have never smoked weed. Just because what I say isn't what you're used to hearing doesn't mean my life is abnormal, plenty of others I'm surrounded with live similar lives.

Just noticed that it is still using my '007' username in that quote... Odd.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Ricardo - are you classed as being self employed then, or effectively working as freelance? I'm a little confused how a permanent employee of a company is able to use an external (especially offshore) system to to their accounts...? Is it just the way your company operate?
    Almost similar to you - am classed as a "consultant", so via my offshore-based company I can count accommodation, travel, food, virtually everything as "expenses" and not be income-taxed on them.
  • Options
    Almost similar to you - am classed as a "consultant", so via my offshore-based company I can count accommodation, travel, food, virtually everything as "expenses" and not be income-taxed on them.

A-ha!

I'm with you now ;) I just didn't go the offshore route... Same thing thing, effectively.
  • Options

It doesn't matter whether you chose to use it or not. The fact is it is there to use. It is your choice to pay privately for public services. It does not mean that you shouldn't pay for them. If you were ever in an accident etc, the ambulance would take you to an NHS A&E department. I don't have any children, but i dont think i should pay less tax cos i'm not utilising school services. Wealth can buy you a lot of things, but it does not mean you shouldn't have to contribute to public services
  • Options
    It doesn't matter whether you chose to use it or not. The fact is it is there to use. It is your choice to pay privately for public services. It does not mean that you shouldn't pay for them. If you were ever in an accident etc, the ambulance would take you to an NHS A&E department. I don't have any children, but i dont think i should pay less tax cos i'm not utilising school services. Wealth can buy you a lot of things, but it does not mean you shouldn't have to contribute to public services
    Let's say you earn £5k a month. If you have the option of legitimately paying either £1,800 or £800 in tax a month, which would you pick? If you say the former, you're definitely in the minority. I'm not saying what I'm doing is 'right', obviously need tax to keep the country running, but I don't exactly feel guilty about not paying it, and nor would most people (rich or poor).
  • Options

But you miss the point - we ARE still paying towards them. I just don't see why, if we are already shelling out for private services, we should then pay £2k a month towards things we are rarely going to use if we can pay a figure half that and STILL pay more income tax than most people.

I have no problem in paying SOME tax, but I object to paying so much tax when I am paying extra as it is - bearing in mind we are only talking income tax here. We pay the rest of the taxes (and stealth taxes) the same as anybody else.

This is going to turn into a circular discussion... :yeees:
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    But you miss the point - we ARE still paying towards them. I just don't see why, if we are already shelling out for private services, we should then pay £2k a month towards things we are rarely going to use if we can pay a figure half that and STILL pay more income tax than most people.

I have no problem in paying SOME tax, but I object to paying so much tax when I am paying extra as it is - bearing in mind we are only talking income tax here. We pay the rest of the taxes (and stealth taxes) the same as anybody else.

This is going to turn into a circular discussion... :yeees:

Yes but the point you are missing is that it is YOUR decision to pay extra on top of your tax for private services. Why should you have the option of opting out of paying for public services which one day you may need?
  • Options
    Yes but the point you are missing is that it is YOUR decision to pay extra on top of your tax for private services. Why should you have the option of opting out of paying for public services which one day you may need?

Because the Government says I should! ;)

Really though - I didn't miss that point, but again you missed mine:

We are STILL paying for the public services (2 x NI AND Income Tax), albeit at a reduced rate when compared proportionally to what we earn, and yet we STILL contribute a pile more than most people. We have not 'opted out of paying for public services', but we are given the option of using our expense dispensations to lower our tax bill.

Simply put, it wouldn't be worth doing the jobs we do, with the inherent risks involved if there were not the 'incentives' offered, and that, I'm afraid, is what is helping prop up the economy, to a large extent. People would just go abroad to the same work if they were unable to gain some benefits when working over here, and so the UK would fall flat on it's face in the more specialized markets.

The Government recognises this and hence grants us extra 'leeway' in our finances.
  • Options
    But you contribute more because you earn more, it's just the way it is *shrugs*

I appreciate your point about propping up the economy and incentives etc, it is a fair point. But back to one of your earlier statements about "I just don't see why, if we are already shelling out for private services, we should then pay £2k a month towards things we are rarely going to use" You have to think about where the money comes from to train the teachers and nurses, that actually work in the private sector, cos it sure as hell doesn't come from the fees you pay to use them. Unfortunately public services are not pay per use, and it is only fair that those in employment pay a roughly standard percentage of their earnings to fund these services that are open to all.
  • Options
    I've never used an ambulance, or a hospital (apart from when I was born), or a nursery, or social services. Can I get a discount please?

Sadly (but rightly!), the world doesn't work like that!
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I've never used an ambulance, or a hospital (apart from when I was born), or a nursery, or social services. Can I get a discount please?

Sadly (but rightly!), the world doesn't work like that!

Exactly :yes:
  • Options
    But you contribute more because you earn more, it's just the way it is *shrugs*

But it isn't, obviously. It only is if you choose to be a permanent employee - which is something I hate the thought of.

I appreciate your point about propping up the economy and incentives etc, it is a fair point. But back to one of your earlier statements about "I just don't see why, if we are already shelling out for private services, we should then pay £2k a month towards things we are rarely going to use" You have to think about where the money comes from to train the teachers and nurses, that actually work in the private sector, cos it sure as hell doesn't come from the fees you pay to use them. Unfortunately public services are not pay per use, and it is only fair that those in employment pay a roughly standard percentage of their earnings to fund these services that are open to all.

Aye, perhaps my comment there was ill thought out.

I also see your points here, but for some reason, I am not really feeling anything about it as I still, and I am repeating myself now (something I don't like doing), pay my dues, so to speak.

I'm sure I said something about this turning into a circular discussion, earlier...
  • Options
    and it is only fair that those in employment pay a roughly standard percentage of their earnings to fund these services that are open to all.

That would be fair.

Except that isn't the way the tax system works. If you pay tax as a high earning permanent employee then you'll pay 40% tax (+NI etc).

If you pay tax as a permanent employee on a lower salary you'll pay 20% tax (+NI etc).

By going the self employed consultant route most high earners get themselves closer to the 20% of total that those lower earners pay.

As you said, that seems fair.

Far fairer than having to pay a higher % on a higher income thus contributing a bigger portion of what they earn.
  • Options
    That would be fair.

Except that isn't the way the tax system works. If you pay tax as a high earning permanent employee then you'll pay 40% tax (+NI etc).

If you pay tax as a permanent employee on a lower salary you'll pay 20% tax (+NI etc).

By going the self employed consultant route most high earners get themselves closer to the 20% of total that those lower earners pay.

As you said, that seems fair.

Far fairer than having to pay a higher % on a higher income thus contributing a bigger portion of what they earn.

Thank you!

I should've explained it that way. Much clearer.

As you may guess, I would not be happy about forking out 40% of my earnings (above the threshold) in the slightest :lol:
  • Options
    Realisitically, I think it's a selfish attitude to have.

But if it was me, I'd pay as little as possible, the tax money would only get pissed up the wall anyway.

Instead though, I can honestly say I would make some very choice and very sizeable charity donations every year instead.. as I'd like to think I'm not totally selfish.

Just for the record though, the 'public services' argument around schools, NHS etc is very poor and not needed, bottom line is you pay less because you can which is all that needs to be said.. you should be proud and happy to help other people who do use those services, not begrude it.
  • Options

Just for the record though, the 'public services' argument around schools, NHS etc is very poor and not needed, bottom line is you pay less because you can which is all that needs to be said.. you should be proud and happy to help other people who do use those services, not begrude it.

A fair point.
  • Options
    Thanks, any chance of a job now? haha
  • Options
    Thanks, any chance of a job now? haha

LOL - if you know anything about testing mobile phones (piece of piss), then quite possibly! ;):D
  • Options
    lol, can I do it part time?

I'm an IT network engineer during the rest of my time! lol, I do 4on/4off though lol
  • Options
    you should be proud and happy to help other people who do use those services, not begrude it.
    You're imposing your values on others here when dif people have different attitudes.. I don't in the slightest feel "proud" or "happy" that I'm helping other people use public services. I don't know them so am detached from the situation, and it's not like they'd be grateful or anything...
  • Options
    You're imposing your values on others here when dif people have different attitudes.. I don't in the slightest feel "proud" or "happy" that I'm helping other people use public services. I don't know them so am detached from the situation, and it's not like they'd be grateful or anything...

LOL - another fair point (to me).

Anyways, I've said my piece on this one and so I will now bow out and do some bloody work. ;)
  • Options
    lol, can I do it part time?

I'm an IT network engineer during the rest of my time! lol, I do 4on/4off though lol

:lol: Well, at the moment I have been doing pretty much seven days a week since the product launch, making sure that all new handsets are ready to rock and are up to scratch, so part time isn't really an option ;)
  • Options
    I'd love to know how you and others making these type of comments would know?

I'd know because I'm a professional debt and welfare benefits advisor, and it's my job to sort out people's finances for them...

I think this thread goes to show just how fucking selfish the wealthy really are. It's a serious case of having cake and eating cake, but then what else are we to expect?

My opinion is that anyone who "offshores" their money should have their UK passport permanently confiscated, and they should be deported to whichever Godforsaken Pacific island their money lives on.

Given that my salary is paid for by Government, I have to say that the whole taxation thing really doesn't piss me off too much.
  • Options

Why not? What's wrong with people using public services? How do you know they're not grateful?
  • Options

I'm not imposing anything on anyone, I'm saying what I think should be the situation mate so do me a favour.

Kermit - Well you should see my point, if someone is in 20K of debt with a 3.5x mortgage or someone with no debt and a 4x mortgage, who is going to be worse off ? It's not black and white is it mate?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    My opinion is that anyone who "offshores" their money should have their UK passport permanently confiscated, and they should be deported to whichever Godforsaken Pacific island their money lives on.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of offshore banking - all the big banks offer this option. It's not just some dodgy tax-evasion thing :yeees: and it's certainly no longer the preserve of the rich and famous. ANYBODY can apply for an offshore account for a multitude of reasons.

Just for example:

HSBC

https://www.offshore.hsbc.com/1/2/international/current-accounts/offshore-bank-account/currentaccounts-casestudy

To be straight, if I started working in Europe again but for a foreign company, I would be using the offshore option as opposed to my business account with the RBS as it makes the money easier to access and for your employers to deposit the money into. It just makes sense - not forgetting all the offshore savings accounts that are on offer.